Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

I decided to try a fatter curling iron last year, and purchased one of the Revlon Ceramic ones at Target. It's different from my old one in that it has that non-stick coating. My old one is the regular shiny, uncoated wand.

I've been using the new one for some time now, and it's okay - I get the fatter curls, but I keep the old one at my BF's house, and when I use it, man the curls are SO quicker to set. So I tried another one, of a friends, with the plain uncoated wand, and it's the same thing...much quicker-setting curl. And the curl lasts far far longer. So...is there some reason that the non-stick teflon (or whatever it is) is used on the irons when it seems to have a detrimental effect on the curl? Anyone else experience this?

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a new fat one...but without the coating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 PM

19,708 posts, read 20,240,448 times
I have tried using a fat curling iron as well and have burned my forehead the two times I gave it a shot! lol

Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
I have two
1st is a G3 Salon Pro Clipless Curling Wand. It has a tapered polished 1/2"-1" Tourmaline Ceramic barrel. My hair is straight with a slight curl under and I use this when I want tighter curls.
2nd is a G3 Salon Pro Hair Styling Iron. This has 100% pure Tourmaline Ceramic plates. I use this if I just want loose curls/waves or if I want my hair to be absolutely straight with no curl under at all as in Japanese doll style with straight bangs as well.

Choose the latest, i.e. Tourmaline Ceramic barrel/plates.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
It's cause the coating isn't as conductive as the plain metal.

Honestly, I use marcel irons (like a curing iron but with no spring to hold it together), and they are pro models, and get really hot.

I think they work better than any retail curling iron/wand out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care