U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM

541 posts, read 692,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Have another technique I've been using which is adding lots of leave-in conditioner/smoothing creme/anti-frizzing serum into my half-wet hair (only shampoo every 3 days or so) & putting it into a "low" ponytail with hair stretched tight against my head for at least 90 minutes, sometimes leave it that way for hours (doesn't look that bad even if I go out that way.) When take it out the pony tail, my hair is still damp, let it air dry, it's straight on top w/ the cowlicks eliminated, a little wavy at the bottom, nice & smooth w/ no frizz, lots of shine. With using this technique (which I discovered accidentally on my own) & after not getting my hair cut/trimmed since 4 months ago, people have commented that my hair looks good & seems very healthy.
LOL! I used to do that in high school when I found the flat iron would make my hair very poofy hours later. Wraping the hair is another good technique that requires no heat either.

snip
Quote:
Not trying to grow my hair much longer, pretty happy with the length now, but worried if I go to get it trimmed, it will be cut too short! (Don't have a regular hairstylest I go to, haven't found a hairstylist yet who will actually listen to me, they just seem to do their own thing!)
Be careful now that you've waited all this time to grow your hair out, that you don't pick a stylist who is scissors happy. I have long hair and I have to be very careful as to whom I go to. I have a trusted professional friend who does the cutting for me and doesn't mind if I see her every 3-6 months (some previous stylists had the nerve to tell me they won't make any money off of me if I don't come sooner!). Many of them out there will also find any excuse to cut too much off, with the "split ends" issue used most often!

Last edited by Tantamount; 04-08-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM

1,865 posts, read 1,742,469 times
I have not had my hair cut since 1989. It is just a little above waist length. I don't color or treat it with anything special. And, being in my mid-fourtys, I do have some gray. Just wash it several times a week and allow it to dry on its own. I only use a wide toothed comb on it and usually leave it down or have it in a pony tail.

I use inexpensive shampoos like VO5 or White rain. And I often get compliments on my hair. I think an important element that people don't think of enough is good nutrition.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 PM

111 posts, read 228,334 times
I get it trimmed back a little every four months or so. I'm keeping it long. My girlfriend likes it - she's into guys who grow their hair out.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:50 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,208,583 times
I usually just get the split ends cut about once a month. I try to make a day of it: mani/pedi, hair cut, facial, massage (not necessarily in that order)

Old 05-03-2014, 06:00 PM

13,167 posts, read 7,403,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Do those of you with longer hair go 6 months or longer without getting your hair cut/trimmed? Are there any important reasons (for "healthier" hair?) to get hair cut/trimmed more often? What if your hair looks good/healthy with not getting it cut/trimmed for months?
I only get a trim about once a year. I have very long thick black hair, and the trim serves to chop off damaged ends. However, I also shave the back of my head down to the skin all the way up to just above my ears and grow the rest of my hair all the way out over it. I do this because I live in such a hot climate and my hair is so thick it becomes a puffball if I don't eliminate some of it myself. My husband either shaves it or I do it myself with the help of two mirrors. My hair is very long. It's down to the middle of my back now. I really like my hair very long. It looks good that way, and I do it up in ponytails, braids, and clips all the time. My face looks chubby when my hair is short, and I don't look good with short hair, really.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:01 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,208,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I only get a trim about once a year. I have very long thick black hair, and the trim serves to chop off damaged ends. However, I also shave the back of my head down to the skin all the way up to just above my ears and grow the rest of my hair all the way out over it. I do this because I live in such a hot climate and my hair is so thick it becomes a puffball if I don't eliminate some of it myself. My husband either shaves it or I do it myself with the help of two mirrors. My hair is very long. It's down to the middle of my back now. I really like my hair very long. It looks good that way, and I do it up in ponytails, braids, and clips all the time. My face looks chubby when my hair is short, and I don't look good with short hair, really.
Mines not nearly to my mid back but close. I too do the two mirror thing and usually have it up in a ponytail especially after I wash it. Thats the worst time for me because it seems to poof out more after i wash it.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM

763 posts, read 1,071,387 times
Roughly every 6 months when I feel my scalp starts crying from the length. I don't really get much split ends and general damage b/c I don't brush my hair or use blow dryers. I air dry it and straighten just the pieces around my face (my hair is always in a bun b/c of my job, so not worth straightening the whole thing). But when I do finally get a cut, I get nearly 2" cut off and get it re-layered. The nice new layers only last, what seems like, one freaking week before suddenly they're too long. Main reason I don't bother going in for a cut often. Not worth the $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or