Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM

310 posts, read 1,700,407 times

Advertisements

For over 20 yrs I had a short hairstyle w/ layers & had to get my hair trimmed every 4 - 5 weeks, was used to that. But been growing my hair longer for the past year and a half. Now, it's almost shoulder length, happy that I can finally put it into a ponytail, the layers have grown out, just some shorter layers around my face/ears. Haven't had my hair cut since mid-December (4 months ago) and think it looks pretty good. But been so many years since I had my hair this long long that I don't know how often I should get it cut.

Additional facts about my hair-- I'm in my mid-50s, have 90% white/gray if don't color it (I pay a friend to do the color for me at home.) My hair is dry & also VERY thick & wavy w/ lots of odd cowlicks -- if I'm not careful, it expands up & out into a big frizzy "puffball"! To get rid of the frizz & cowlicks and get my hair smoother & straighter, I DON'T like to blow-dry my hair or use straightening "hot combs" or whatever they're called (not good at doing that, seems to increase the frizz in my hair & hate spending that much time in my very small claustrophobic bathroom!) Have another technique I've been using which is adding lots of leave-in conditioner/smoothing creme/anti-frizzing serum into my half-wet hair (only shampoo every 3 days or so) & putting it into a "low" ponytail with hair stretched tight against my head for at least 90 minutes, sometimes leave it that way for hours (doesn't look that bad even if I go out that way.) When take it out the pony tail, my hair is still damp, let it air dry, it's straight on top w/ the cowlicks eliminated, a little wavy at the bottom, nice & smooth w/ no frizz, lots of shine. With using this technique (which I discovered accidentally on my own) & after not getting my hair cut/trimmed since 4 months ago, people have commented that my hair looks good & seems very healthy.

Do those of you with longer hair go 6 months or longer without getting your hair cut/trimmed? Are there any important reasons (for "healthier" hair?) to get hair cut/trimmed more often? What if your hair looks good/healthy with not getting it cut/trimmed for months?

Not trying to grow my hair much longer, pretty happy with the length now, but worried if I go to get it trimmed, it will be cut too short! (Don't have a regular hairstylest I go to, haven't found a hairstylist yet who will actually listen to me, they just seem to do their own thing!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
I go get a cut every 6 months (usually only when I want some layers put in) but in reality I could probably go years if I got rid of the layers. It is easy to trim your own hair as well. I only blow dry lightly so I don't have many split ends. My hair is straight and I don't put products into it except on special occasions. I don't really brush my hair that often either.

I also have trouble finding a stylist that will give me the cut I want. Ugh.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I have long hair, and I get it cut about twice a year when I wear it all or mostly one length. I don't heat style often so that keeps the damage to a minimum, and I generally have thick, healthy hair.

When I have layers or bangs, I usually have to trim those every couple of months to keep it from looking unkempt...one reason it's easier to just have long hair all one length.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:41 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
I have pretty much had shoulder blade length or longer hair my entire life. Maybe I am just lucky but I have very thick hair and rarely any split ends. I cut my hair about twice a year, don't color it and don't put a bunch of products in it, in fact none unless it is hairspray and that is every once in a while. I also let it dry naturally most of the time, so no heat damage.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
npz

208 posts, read 323,549 times
I have long hair (mid way down my back). It is naturally curly but I do straighten it with hairdryer and flat iron. I normally get it cut when it starts to bother me, i.e. the ends feel dry or the shape needs tidying up etc. I actually booked an appointment this week, and in light of this thread went back to see how long it has been since my last trim. Like others who have replied, it is almost six months since my last appointment.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:19 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I'm cheap and trim my own. Through time, I've also learned how to feather and do other stuff. You can find video's online to help you go through the steps. The worst you can do is mess up a little and wait until it grows out.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:02 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I got my last cut in Jan 2010. I trim my bangs myself about every 3 weeks.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:06 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I have long hair half way down my back almost to my butt and I have not had scissors in this head of hair in two years and dont intend to start . I m very funny about who I let touch my hair . i pride myself on my hair .

Old 04-17-2011, 03:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Longer hair

I go about every 6 months. I should go more. I get highlights done; the way my guy does it is very natural looking.

I do wash my hair everyday, have a great hairdryer (just got it - made in the USA!!) and then I have an iron for straightening it. I can't stand even one wave.

I've always been like that. Always loved the Christie Brinkley type look even though I'm not as blonde. I'm more light light brown!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:16 PM

143 posts, read 357,389 times
I have straight, thick hair, 32 inches long, no dye/bleach, the "style" of it is long layers with some face framing pieces. I haven't had a "real" haircut in four years but I do get trims every 6 months.

I find that I don't need trims more than every 6 months because I don't dye my hair and I only use heat on it about twice a month, so my hair is really healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care