Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 AM

240 posts, read 420,011 times

Advertisements

Can you use this stuff as an all-over hair lightener kit too?

I did once, a year ago, and the color turned out beautiful (a beautiful honey blonde shade). It worked better than Born Blonde or any other lightening kit I had ever used before.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on that. Please don't be derrogatory toward me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 12:08 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
The cool thing about kits like these is you can basically use as much or as little as you want.

As tempting as it may be, I probably wouldn't use this product all over my head though. (but that's just me!) I have long hair and it would probably take me forever to apply it, so I know the color wouldn't come out evenly...

If you have good results from this product before, I say you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. Different things work for different people.

I see from your other thread you have dark hair, correct? Just remember that kits like these do not fully lighten dark hair in one process, and will sometimes leave it an orange-ish color.

A good shampoo for taking out brassiness is Clairol Shimmer Lights purple shampoo. They sell it @ Sally's Beauty Supply for around $10.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
The cool thing about kits like these is you can basically use as much or as little as you want.

As tempting as it may be, I probably wouldn't use this product all over my head though. (but that's just me!) I have long hair and it would probably take me forever to apply it, so I know the color wouldn't come out evenly...

If you have good results from this product before, I say you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. Different things work for different people.

I see from your other thread you have dark hair, correct? Just remember that kits like these do not fully lighten dark hair in one process, and will sometimes leave it an orange-ish color.

A good shampoo for taking out brassiness is Clairol Shimmer Lights purple shampoo. They sell it @ Sally's Beauty Supply for around $10.
Hi,

Yeah, since that post, I had gradually lightened my hair to a chestnut brown right now. So, it should be pretty easy to do now.

I have short hair and it works great with that and comes out all even. So, I think I'll stick with it.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,529 times
I lightened all over (from dyed dk brown) with Clairol highlights a while back, and yes it did the job. Just don't leave it on very long, watch your color! I then deep conditioned, and waited a day to enhance the color with Natural Instincts,then deep conditioned for a week. It was a bit straw-orangey before the final toning. It came out a gorgeous light ginger brown when I was done!

It was totally even, but I used a wide tooth comb to pull it through,only once as the hair felt really weak. But it recovered just fine.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:01 PM

Here is a photo from right after- I was so happy with my results I took a photo! As you can see it is even and healthy. Clairol Highlight kit allover, followed by Natural Instincts 2 parts lightest auburn, one part light golden brown.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I lightened all over (from dyed dk brown) with Clairol highlights a while back, and yes it did the job. Just don't leave it on very long, watch your color! I then deep conditioned, and waited a day to enhance the color with Natural Instincts,then deep conditioned for a week. It was a bit straw-orangey before the final toning. It came out a gorgeous light ginger brown when I was done!

It was totally even, but I used a wide tooth comb to pull it through,only once as the hair felt really weak. But it recovered just fine.

your hair is pretty but must ask the reason for highlighting then using a coloring product??

Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,351 times
looks orange and brassy

Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Here is a photo from right after- I was so happy with my results I took a photo! As you can see it is even and healthy. Clairol Highlight kit allover, followed by Natural Instincts 2 parts lightest auburn, one part light golden brown.

Very pretty! Good job on it!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
Some of the best compliments I have had on my hair color have come after I botched a home-highlighting job and then had to color and condition over it to "fix" it. Maybe we're onto something here!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
your hair is pretty but must ask the reason for highlighting then using a coloring product??
I had tried a one step Feria product designed to lift the darkest hair to light brown, but it did very little. So I tied the highlight kit as it has lots of peroxide to lift. I am not familiar with peroxide volumes like a pro , so I relied on the highlight kit to get me there. And then did the "toning" to enrich the color.

I like to offer encouragement to other brave souls who like to save $$ and home color. I am the mother of 4 and frequent trips to the salon are not in my budget. So I study tips online and follow them to get good results.

Its fun and I am proud of the $$ I save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care