Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The fascination with long hair is sort of frustrating. People assume I'm a lesbian because my hair is quite short - and often make comments to that regard to my face. I had to shave my hair when I began 6 months of chemo and it will take years for my hair to grow back to where it was (a bit longer than shoulder length). Right now I think it looks cute.. it's about 2 1/2 inches long and looks great with a headband. Still - it's frustrating to be 23 and already feel undesirable due to cancer.
I'm sorry this happened to you. You can always wear a wig if you don't like your hair now. Wigs have come long ways and many look quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 AM

27 posts, read 62,672 times
I've never really cottoned to the suggestion that someone letting hair grow (which is what it does with no real coaxing) indicates an intention to look college age or any other age. In the spirit of full disclosure I must also add that I have ALWAYS preferred long hair on girls. There have been exceptions to that preference though, including my current, long-time girlfriend:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298519_10150308164745759_501640758_8454064_1924189 106_n.jpg (broken link)

As far as high school girls go... don't they usually fail at originality and style? It's just luck when the trends cross the path of aesthetic victory.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:17 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
I guess what baffles me most about this thread is that for the last few years I've been noticing LESS long hair on women and girls. In the last decade, and most of the 90's, real long hair was more common.

I've had very long hair most of my life. In the early-to-mid-80's supershort hair was the 'in' thing, and people always noticed mine because long hair was so unusual. In the last 2-3 years people have been noticing the length of it again. I recently trimmed off about 8" but it's still long.

Hey ~ just be GLAD that all these women aren't walking around with those horrid, ugly-ass frizzy perms of the 80's! EEEKKK!!!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I guess what baffles me most about this thread is that for the last few years I've been noticing LESS long hair on women and girls.
..and the long hair is much nicer looking than in past decades.

As for teal hair -

I LOVE IT!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

Hey ~ just be GLAD that all these women aren't walking around with those horrid, ugly-ass frizzy perms of the 80's! EEEKKK!!!!!
If you find you are lonesome for this look or that decade, please come to my workplace. You will find nicely fried, sprayed curling iron burnt bangs along with perm-over-perm-over-permed out hair that has become somewhat brilloish in nature. Ash blonde and brillo -- soooo very authentic 80's.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Maybe its just a Los Angeles thing, but I notice (just like the OP notices) that nearly EVERY girl has long hair. Guess that is why there are soooooo many beauty salons on every block, sooooo many women need/want to get their hair did regularly.

Wife says its because women want to look sexy and long hair is sexy. An otherwise average or less than average woman really "UPs" her looks and sexyness rating by having really long pretty hair. I totally agree with this.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Maybe its just a Los Angeles thing, but I notice (just like the OP notices) that nearly EVERY girl has long hair. Guess that is why there are soooooo many beauty salons on every block, sooooo many women need/want to get their hair did regularly.

Wife says its because women want to look sexy and long hair is sexy. An otherwise average or less than average woman really "UPs" her looks and sexyness rating by having really long pretty hair. I totally agree with this.
L.a. people definitely tend to go cookie cutter and copy each other.

I like long hair because you can do different things with it. Currently growing mine long again because I am bored with the shorter styles. Has nothing to do with anything sexual. Its just fun to change it up.

I do think most women look better with hair. But short healthy hair is better than long straggler hair.

Funny thing was the boyfriend came into work one day and there is a girl there that had short hair but we had a similar shape etc. He got mad and thought I got it all cut off again when he saw at a distance at first. LOL
He wants to see is long because he likes the curls and how big it gets. It does look cool to have a mega mane. Men and women think my short style is cute. But the long style gets a lot more attention from both sexes.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
But short healthy hair is better than long straggler hair.

There's nothing like being able to put a cool wet towel or a handful of cologne on your head on a hot day!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
..and the long hair is much nicer looking than in past decades.

As for teal hair -

I LOVE IT!
I thought the teal color looked cool, too. Never saw one that color before.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
and that one nearly knocked me off my chair laughing. You're nuts.

I have beyond-the-bra-strap hair, and I'm in my uhhh...past 35's. (I hate the word LATE 30's, it reminds me of someone who died who is in their 30's). Since I have been reading this thread I'm tempted to have it cut to medium length since it seems I have aged out of my hair.
I'm "30-something", and I'm keeping my hair long. Don't let SugerHoneyIcedTea-heads dictate how you keep your hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care