U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 PM

177 posts, read 329,099 times

Advertisements

Hey guys
Just wanted your input on this. I am growing out my Sienna Miller crop. I want to grow it to my shoulders.
I have natural un colored and un processed hair, super healthy and it grows about an inch a month.
Should I just keep trimming the bottom every couple weeks to keep it neat ?
What is the best strategy ? Should I try to get it all one length or let all of the layers grow in sync ?
Any advice will be much appreciated. I've had short hair forever and just want a bit of change as gracefully as possible There are a lot of posts on growing out pixies, but mine is much longer than that. I can almost get the top layer behind my ears.
Brittany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,539,061 times
I'm growing out my almost-pixie right now, the very longest bits are just hitting chin length. My advice? Leave it the hell alone. There's really no reason to trim the ends that often, maybe once a month at very most.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 PM

177 posts, read 329,099 times
Yep I think that's good advice. Haha. I just want to avoid the whole "rat tail" look, which is why I snip the bottom back as soon as I see it shifting into that.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:47 AM

5,145 posts, read 5,635,620 times
I can't stand that rat tail thing either. LOL

I just pull it back and leave the sides down. Kinda like an anime character. It gets rid of that rat tail look while the top and sides grow longer. I find those bands that are "no breakage" clear or black flat rubber bands work best at that stage. They don't need a lot of hair to hold tight and don't rip at the hair you do have.

If you don't have a problem with split ends don't trim. Just deep condition a couple times a week.
I do not trim but look for split ends/damage. When that shows, then I trim. Just know if you do it at home you are going to want to go up at least an inch to really get all the damage off. It may seem like a lot but that is what will make sure you don't just keep dealing with it.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,539,061 times
I don't get a rat tail... I get a full on mullet. It's horrible when that happens, but I also tend to just keep my hair pulled back so I don't keep trimming and trimming.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,196,511 times
I grew out my pixie, it is now a chin length bob w/ bangs. I can't stand to just let a pixie grow with no cutting, I'd look like an old ragged tennis ball. And the back, of course, grows out longer than the front. It looks like a mullet in no time.

My approach is to get regular cuts. I make sure that I tell the stylist what I am doing and ask them to clean up the back and sides, and trim the top only as much as necessary to even it up. I went in every six weeks or so. I grew the layers out on top before I started allowing the length to grow in - again to prevent that raggedy growing-out look. So it went from a pixie to a super-short bob (above the ears, highest in the back) and then I grew out the top from there with regular trims of everything below the weightline. My hair has always grown really fast and required regular cuts. Now that it has reached my jawline it doesn't need them quite so frequently.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,949,258 times
Plus invest in some quality headbands and barrettes. I've gone short to long more times than I can count. A very nice little barrette or headband makes a little shagginess look "intentional"

Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 AM

5,145 posts, read 5,635,620 times
Found a picture example:

http://images.beautyriot.com/photos/...unette-275.jpg

You don't have to have a huge bun in the back but pulling it back and leaving the top and sides hang down as pictured is what I was trying to describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care