U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 PM

2,715 posts, read 2,106,345 times
Default curling iron vs. Hot rollers - differences?

I like to occasionally set my hair in hot rollers, even though it kind of a pain.

I haven't used a curling iron since high school, but I've been wondering if they could be used as an easier alternative to hot rollers.

I have very thick, somewhat wavy hair. I like the smoothness and large waves I can get from rollers - but if a curling iron would do this easier, I would get one.

anyone here know?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 1,722,522 times
You would need a large-barrel curling iron. I've used both and I find the hot rollers easier -- once you've got all the hair rolled, you're mobile again. The curling iron allows for more precise placement of curls and if you don't want a lot of volume at the root, it's easier to get that look. Also easier for a more sausage/spiral type curl, but the large waves will take a bit of practice -- more of a technique of winding a section near the root 1x around the barrel and then pulling through to the ends relatively quickly, letting cool and brushing out. I tend to get a shinier result from the curling iron than the hot rollers, but over time the iron is more damaging.

A friend of yours probably has a big-barrel curling iron (don't most of us have one in a corner in the closet, right?) so see if you can borrow to experiment with. If you like the results, either buy one or offer to buy hers.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks weezycom- that makes sense - !

Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 AM

9,642 posts, read 6,727,869 times
EE, you hair sounds like mine. I gave up the hot roller years ago and love my big barrel curling iron. the bigger the barrel the looser the curl.
I use it pretty like I would use a brush or a comb.

section off a bit. comb out any tangles, run the iron slow and steady from the root and pull it down to the end of your hair. that kinda straightens the hair as it goes along. at get the end tucked in and roll the hair up like you normally do, back up to the root, hold it there for a moment, then let it down. you are done

I have a smaller iron for smaller tendrils, which can look great. I also recently bought a true flat iron which has been fun. all of them can be had at wallmart or target pretty inexpensively.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,809,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
You would need a large-barrel curling iron. I've used both and I find the hot rollers easier -- once you've got all the hair rolled, you're mobile again. The curling iron allows for more precise placement of curls and if you don't want a lot of volume at the root, it's easier to get that look. Also easier for a more sausage/spiral type curl, but the large waves will take a bit of practice -- more of a technique of winding a section near the root 1x around the barrel and then pulling through to the ends relatively quickly, letting cool and brushing out. I tend to get a shinier result from the curling iron than the hot rollers, but over time the iron is more damaging.

A friend of yours probably has a big-barrel curling iron (don't most of us have one in a corner in the closet, right?) so see if you can borrow to experiment with. If you like the results, either buy one or offer to buy hers.
I preferred hot rollers when my hair was long for the same reason, i could roll my hair and continue to get ready, it made it much easier to do my face as well. Plus with the curling iron , I sometimes missed a piece or two in the back. The curling iron is much easier when you are traveling though...

I'd ask around and try and borrow one to try it before you buy it - I've got curling irrons of all sizes and types in the drawer (plus a couple differnt straight irons as well). I'm sure someone you know has one you can try out..

Old 11-29-2011, 05:47 PM

thanks everyone! Curling irons are so cheap, I should just get one and try it! I will probably still use hot rollers at times because they just make such nice waves.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM

16,542 posts, read 19,145,661 times
My hair is thick and wavy too. A hairdresser turned me on to a combination 1000w blow dryer/round brush combo, so it's like a big curling iron with bristles and a powerful blow dryer. I just blow a big section at a time and it comes out smooth, but not flat.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,504,668 times
Gave up my hot rollers years ago for a very HOT curling iron.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My hair is thick and wavy too. A hairdresser turned me on to a combination 1000w blow dryer/round brush combo, so it's like a big curling iron with bristles and a powerful blow dryer. I just blow a big section at a time and it comes out smooth, but not flat.
I do this too - but find it quite cumbersome to blow dry the back of my hair that way. I find setting it in hot rollers easier than doing a blowout.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 AM

5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Just watch for heat damage. I think its easier to burn/dry out your hair with an iron vs. hot rollers. My hair holds curl better with steam rollers. (naturally curly/wavy) You also have to let the curl cool before disturbing after using an iron or the shape can drop out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care