Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times

Advertisements

After another bad haircut where I came out butchered due to a total breakdown in communication I am ready to open my wallet next time and spend some extra money on a hair stylist who actually can speak to me in English and so we can discuss my hair and it's challenges.

Here in the Washington DC area, immigrants who have serious language issues have taken over the hairstyling business. Unless you are willing to pay over $40 for a simple haircut at a more upscale salon, I can't seem to find a stylist who actually speaks more than a few words of English.

The worst place is Haircuttery, with Great Clips a close second. On an individual basis the mostly Asian immigrant staff at these salons are nice enough and they try hard to work on their English and conversation skills- but it is not working.

Does the lack of English skills on the part of your local hairstylists impact your ability to have your hair look fashionable and stylish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
We don't have that problem in western PA.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
somethings you can luck out and pay a way lower price and get a great buy. hair cutting is not one. finding a great hair cutter is worth the 40 bucks or more. bite the bullet and be done with it, find someone who you can talk to and is respectful of your wishes and can do the job well.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Well the lack of your judgement is a bigger issue, IE getting your haircut at Great Clips and the "Haircuttery".

I don't see why you're complaining. Simple solution, open up your wallet. You want something nice, then pay for it.

Also, I'm sure being slightly bilingual sometimes may help you out as well. This is the melting pot by the way.

I'm sure someone that speaks little to no English probably does a better job than Great Clips or the "Haircuttery".

Welcome to reality.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I'm a guy with only 4" of hair, but if I go to Greatclips, they somehow always manage to f__k it up while speaking fluent English.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well the lack of your judgement is a bigger issue, IE getting your haircut at Great Clips and the "Haircuttery".

I don't see why you're complaining. Simple solution, open up your wallet. You want something nice, then pay for it.

Also, I'm sure being slightly bilingual sometimes may help you out as well. This is the melting pot by the way.

I'm sure someone that speaks little to no English probably does a better job than Great Clips or the "Haircuttery".

Welcome to reality.
America is no longer a "melting pot". It is more of a "salad" since most of these immigrants are coddled and employed by American businesses with limited English skills.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times
When I go to my hometown in Minnesota the girls at the budget salons are the woman who decided to not go to college but go to a vocational technical school instead. They are 5th generation Americans and are really feminine and friendly. I have no trouble speaking to them about my hair.

* On a personal basis I give lots of credit to immigrants who come to America and try to live the American dream. But I wonder if hairstyling is the right career for them. Many if not most of the stylists at places like Haircuttery are devoid of personality and are painfully shy. Along with their language issues many appear to have chosen the wrong career field. It would be like taking a job as a Saleswoman or Journalist but being painfully shy.

To me, if you chose the beauty and fashion business strong communications skills are the key to success. Why are these mute women even hired if they can not communicate with clients?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Pictures are worth a 1000 words in any language. Use those to communicate what you want with whatever stylist.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I would NEVER go to one of those chain hair places. People see your hair basically every day and a good haircut and style by a person who actually knows what they're doing can do wonders for your looks. This is coming from a woman who is a mechanic, rarely wears makeup and basically lives out of jeans and t shirts. I still spend $60-$70 on haircuts and I see the same gal every single time because she knows exactly how to tame and cut my crazy curly hair. It's one of the very few things I 'splurge' on.

I recommend staying away from those chain places and actually spend some time looking for a real stylist...it will be worth it.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:57 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I recommend staying away from those chain places and actually spend some time looking for a real stylist...it will be worth it.
I agree.
Michele has been doing my hair for over 15 years now. And she's inexpensive.
A shampoo, cut and style are just $19, plus tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care