Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,424 times

Advertisements

best answer for my question, thanks people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 PM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
-
I used to get my hair cut by someone who would cut the layers very neatly, meaning they would just cut the layer with a straight snip of the scissors. They would then take the tips of the scissors and just "nip" into the very end of the section they had just cut (maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch or so at the very most). Then move on to the next section.

I can't go to that person anymore so I've been kind of stuck with going to the place I get my color done at.

This place has younger stylists. When they cut my layers, they snip all these random pieces out, so the ends of my layers are not even.
I think a lot of us out there have this complaint. I go to an older stylist who used to do the nice neat layers but since styles have changed and gotten more shaggy and jagged she seems to have forgotten. My hair is constantly a mess regardless of what photos I show of nicely blended layers. If some stylists truly know how to do old school layering they should advertise it and they would probably have lines out the door for new customers.

I did try two other stylists and both followed the old "pattern" of cut which the first stylist started. These layers look like they are cut straight across and texturized rather than angled to blend together. When I say it's too heavy because the layers fall straight, angle them please, they use thinning shears to make it shaggier instead of changing those layers to blend at an angle and not fall together in one big piece. There is nothing I can say or display for pics to stop it, it seems. When I pushed one stylist I ended up with a true mullet because she kept cutting the top layers shorter and shorter, chopping at them, and thinning everything out. I'm pretty disgusted actually. It doesn't seem that difficult and my hair is only shoulder length. I do like fringe but I want soft fringe, not random wispy pieces and unstructured hanging chunks.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Its funny this thread just got resurrected because I had another unsatisfactory hair cut this weekend (I've been cutting it myself for almost 2 years with the CreaClip!!). This recent hair cut is a good hair cut, but I realized after it that I don't have the proper terminology to describe what I want.

I finally figured out what I am after - this video captures it perfectly- I want disconnected layers on the top done with point cutting!! That is what the woman did who used to cut my hair super awesome -

Creating a disconnection on long hair Final - YouTube

Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I am not a hair stylist but from what you are describing in the second layer cut, that is texturizing. That is how my stylist cuts my hair. Sometimes she does it with a texturizing scissor, but lately she has been cutting into the ends with just a straight edge scissor. I guess the younger hairstylists are taught, NO straight ends. I don't have a problem with it because I like my hair without straight ends, it definitely gives the hair more body. One thing I'd never get is a razor cut, they grow out horrible.

I hope that helps.
Razor cutting isn't really taught in Cos. school. It's "taught" but only for a very brief time and if you don't get people that want their hair razor cut all the time you'll never get any practice on it unless you do it on your own time on a mannequin. This is why most razor cuts you'll get won't be good, because the person holding the razor doesn't really know what they are doing and should stick to the scissors.

A proper razor cut should be as good or better than a scissor cut.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
Glad to know I'm not the only person who hates this pointy end cutting! It has been in Australia for quite a while now and the last four hairdressers I have been to over a period of five years have used this technique and I am so unhappy with my hair. I went to an older woman for years who was a brilliant cutter and people would ask me where I got my hair cut. The worst thing is, I now hate going to the hairdresser more than I hate going to the dentist, because some of these people are downright nasty - both men and women - if you dare to tell them how you want your hair cut.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:01 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,061,457 times
I will break it down for you. If the stylist is experienced and knows how to layer cut then point cutting or razor cutting will be no problem. Inexperienced stylists may have to layer cut first and then go back and texturize/razor cut. Unfortunately, novice stylists will sometimes try to texturize or razor cut without a clue. The results will be a bad cut.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM

50 posts, read 54,210 times
OP, sounds like you want a more traditional layered cut, as opposed to the newer way of layering that many of us do these days. If you ask for a traditional layered cut, the stylist should do exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Razor cutting isn't really taught in Cos. school. It's "taught" but only for a very brief time and if you don't get people that want their hair razor cut all the time you'll never get any practice on it unless you do it on your own time on a mannequin.

I think that varies from school to school. When I was in cosmetology school, we had extensive classes with the razor, and all the various ways to use it and get the best cuts.

While the school 20 mins from ours, spent no more than a 2hr class on razor cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care