U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:29 PM

2,714 posts, read 2,106,345 times
Default any hairdressers here? hair cutting question

-I have long hair with layers in it.

I am not a hairdresser, but I am going to try to describe the difference between two different types of haircuts I've had.

I used to get my hair cut by someone who would cut the layers very neatly, meaning they would just cut the layer with a straight snip of the scissors. They would then take the tips of the scissors and just "nip" into the very end of the section they had just cut (maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch or so at the very most). Then move on to the next section.

I can't go to that person anymore so I've been kind of stuck with going to the place I get my color done at.

This place has younger stylists. When they cut my layers, they snip all these random pieces out, so the ends of my layers are not even.

I guess this is to make it more "modern" looking?

But I don't like it. As it grows out, the ends start looking scraggly.

Are these two different ways to cut layers?

What would be a way to describe the first way of cutting them? Is that considered old-fashioned now not to do a "choppy" cut?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM

2,987 posts, read 1,676,107 times
I am not a hair stylist but from what you are describing in the second layer cut, that is texturizing. That is how my stylist cuts my hair. Sometimes she does it with a texturizing scissor, but lately she has been cutting into the ends with just a straight edge scissor. I guess the younger hairstylists are taught, NO straight ends. I don't have a problem with it because I like my hair without straight ends, it definitely gives the hair more body. One thing I'd never get is a razor cut, they grow out horrible.

I hope that helps.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 PM

That makes sense- I think next time I go in, I will request one of the older stylists.

The chick who cut it last time was pretty young and also argued with me when I explained details of how I wanted my hair cut. I actually wish I hadn't tipped her now that I think about it.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,893,102 times
Quote:
One thing I'd never get is a razor cut, they grow out horrible.
Depends on your hair and the talent of your stylist. My new stylist used the razor and this is literally the best haircut of my life, I've never had one grow out so nicely. It was not cheap, but it was worth every penny and this is the first time I have ever felt that way about a high-end salon. If I have my way, no one else will ever touch my hair again. I have super fine, straight hair that is really bad for showing scissor marks. Razor cuts done by people who didn't have much talent (or maybe I really mean skill) with the razor do indeed grow out terribly. But a good razor cut has great movement and separation without needing a lot of product, and it can grow out quite nicely if it is done properly. You'd probably never guess that he uses the razor on me, my hair does not have that shredded look that you get from someone who really ought to stick with shears.

Edit: Oops, I guess I should address the OP too! I think the easiest way to get the cut you want should be to just explain the technique that your original stylist used and ask for your new stylist to use that technique as well. If you have a picture of yourself with your hair the way you liked it that should help. If a stylist argued with me over how I wanted my hair cut I'd get right up out of that seat and go elsewhere. They can make suggestions and issue polite warnings, but they don't get to dictate my haircut unless I give them complete freedom. I do that sometimes when I want to change it up and I have about a 50/50 rate of good and horrible from that approach.

Last edited by tilli; 12-21-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
If a stylist argued with me over how I wanted my hair cut I'd get right up out of that seat and go elsewhere. They can make suggestions and issue polite warnings, but they don't get to dictate my haircut unless I give them complete freedom. I do that sometimes when I want to change it up and I have about a 50/50 rate of good and horrible from that approach.
Looking back, I wish I had done that. This one would not cut the shape I wanted in the back, texturized all my layers, and cut the bangs wider than I wanted.

She reminds me of a stylist I went to many years ago who INSISTED that it was impossible to cut the shortest layer of my long layered hair any shorter than the bottom of my neck.

I have found many stylists just have their own techniques and preferences and are unwilling/unable to do things that deviate from that.

I've spent the day searching youtube trying to find videos on hair cutting techniques and found a few that show the type of cut I got from my old stylist that I really liked. Hopefully I've learned the right terminology, so when I go in to someone else, they will understand what I am talking about.

I also have gone a bit mad and am thinking about ordering one of these : http://www.creaclip.com - there are tons of video demonstrations about it on youtube. I think I could use it for trims in between haircuts.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 PM

4,623 posts, read 2,966,138 times
It sounds like you liked the weight left in with the layers the first stylist did, is that right? Doing the second technique would give the hair a lighter feel.

If your hair is fine, then the first technique would work better. It annoys me when any stulist, young or old, uses the same technique on everyone. The amount and type of layering should be adjusted according to hair texture.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:41 AM

8,913 posts, read 6,329,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It annoys me when any stulist, young or old, uses the same technique on everyone. The amount and type of layering should be adjusted according to hair texture.

This is one of the things that really bothers me, & am always much happier doing my own haircuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E E
I used to get my hair cut by someone who would cut the layers very neatly, meaning they would just cut the layer with a straight snip of the scissors. They would then take the tips of the scissors and just "nip" into the very end of the section they had just cut (maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch or so at the very most). Then move on to the next section...
What do you think of this? (After sectioning off the hair, she begins cutting @ 2:50)

Long layers/Long graduation pt 1 - YouTube

I had the same problem- finding the basic long layered cut. This method has worked wonders for me.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM

D217 - I have never seen someone cut layers in the back horizontally like that.

I found this video and his method of cutting layers is pretty close to the way the stylist cut my hair that I liked -

Long Graduation Cut - YouTube

Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 AM

796 posts, read 1,744,507 times
Default I think I know

I answered inside your post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
-I have long hair with layers in it.

I am not a hairdresser, but I am going to try to describe the difference between two different types of haircuts I've had.

I used to get my hair cut by someone who would cut the layers very neatly, meaning they would just cut the layer with a straight snip of the scissors. This is a blunt cut. They would then take the tips of the scissors and just "nip" into the very end of the section they had just cut (maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch or so at the very most). Then move on to the next section. This is called point cutting--using the tip of the scissors to cut into the blunt cut.

I can't go to that person anymore so I've been kind of stuck with going to the place I get my color done at.

This place has younger stylists. When they cut my layers, they snip all these random pieces out, so the ends of my layers are not even. I hate this too. I think this "trend" started after seeing the NYC and LA stylists cutting this way. I don't think any stylist can just do this without the right training.

I guess this is to make it more "modern" looking?

But I don't like it. As it grows out, the ends start looking scraggly.

Are these two different ways to cut layers?

What would be a way to describe the first way of cutting them? Is that considered old-fashioned now not to do a "choppy" cut? I will let a stylist that I trust do minimal point cutting in some of my thicker areas but otherwise I tell her to blunt cut 90% of my hair. You'll feel better when you speak up about how you like your hair cut. Not all hair can take texturizing and razoring and if a stylist is opposed to doing what you want, find one that will take your money AND listen to you

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:06 PM

Skatergirl - thanks for your post, makes a lot of sense! Glad to know I am not the only one who doesn't like the choppy layer thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care