Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
I've been dealing with terrible dandruff for the past year and nothing seems to work

I've tried

1. head and shoulders
2. Selsum blue
3. Dr bronners tea tree
4. Neutrogena t-gel

NOTHING works =(

It's got to the point where small chunks of dry skin are falling off my head when i brush it.

Helppppppppppppp

Try Nizoral like the previous poster said, unlike all of those other options you mentioned, Nizoral contains a different active ingredient that is aimed at killing the fungus p ovale. There is a plethora of evidence now linking p ovale to dandruff and other skin conditions. I too have dander once in a while and nizoral works miracles. If it doesn't work go to your physician to get a prescription for a shampoo that is stronger than nizoral, but works in the same way (anti fungal, demand if from your physician). Contrary to popular belief, dandruff isn't caused by being dirty, it is simply caused by being sensitive to the waste products the yeast p ovale produces after it eats your skin oils. Everyone has p ovale on them, it's just that some people are more sensitive than others towards it, and hence get dandruff.

Last edited by fibonacci; 03-31-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
You need to see a dermatologist. They will prescribe a shampoo with coal tar in it.
My own non medical observation is that dandruff is more about Ph. If you find a shampoo and conditioner with a compatible Ph, you will lick it. For me, it was Revlon Flex, but I don;t know if they make this anymore.
The person who suggested you shave your head, might have had a good suggestion. I have not seen a bald person with dandruff. I had chemo and lost my hair, and since it grew back, I have never had dandruff.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Get in a hot tub..lay back with your head under water...let all the old skin...desolve and fall away;;;speed up the process...all these treatments just slow things down...if you are shedding dead skin off your head..get it over with...seriously..well it's just a theory..but it might work..Your body constantly is shedding skin...the head is no different...It's just that the hair slows the dropping away down...try it and get back to me....and no I am not an expert....like I said...speed up the flaking

Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Hubby used to have very bad dandruff as well. I bought him this stuff, and goodbye flakes! His dandruff was BAD, like huge chunky flakes everywhere.

But after using the shampoo, then the oil bar, he's fine and has no problems.

Soak and Float - Lush

Snake Oil Scalp Treatment Bar - Lush

Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Yeah. I first shampoo and rinse my hair like normal, then I massage the vinegar rinse (2 parts water 1 part vinegar) through my hair and on my scalp for a few seconds. Then I rinse my hair again with warm water. I wouldn't use this too much though. Maybe only once or twice a week. I use it about twice a month.
Whoa! That's like too much vinegar, which could be irritating. I used even white vinegar but in a much smaller proportion of 1 Tbsp. in 8 oz. of warm water, perhaps even 2 Tbsp. can be used without irritation, but after participating actively for several in a hair forum I know the smaller amount works fine for most people... unless the dandruff is severe.

About 3 years ago mine returned with a vengeance, with the big skin flakes coming off and the vinegar or essential oils, which had kept it at bay until then, were not working. But another home remedy put a stop to it almost immediately: borax. It's anti-fungal/yeast and contains a much needed but ignored mineral called boron. I had a box of "20 Mule Team" in my laundry room and dissolved one heaping teaspoon in 8 oz. of boiling water (borax doesn't dissolve well in cold or even warm water) and then washed my hair/scalp with it, letting it sit for a few minutes (while I continued washing the rest of my body). I still keep some handy in case of a flare-up but to date only one tiny spot in the back of my head "wants" to cause trouble.

Incidentally, unbeknownst to me at the time, a similar product called "Boraxo" (http://mybrands.com/images/products/large/BORAXO.jpg - broken link) , which I used to exfoliate my face, cured my acne when I was 16; it's said acne is caused by a microorganism that "nests" in our skin so I believe now the borax in Boraxo killed it. I've also read cases of rosacea and psoriasis that responded very well to borax, ah, nothing like what God put on this earth!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

But another home remedy put a stop to it almost immediately: borax. It's anti-fungal/yeast and contains a much needed but ignored mineral called boron. I had a box of "20 Mule Team" in my laundry room and dissolved one heaping teaspoon in 8 oz. of boiling water (borax doesn't dissolve well in cold or even warm water) and then washed my hair/scalp with it, letting it sit for a few minutes (while I continued washing the rest of my body). I still keep some handy in case of a flare-up but to date only one tiny spot in the back of my head "wants" to cause trouble.

Incidentally, unbeknownst to me at the time, a similar product called "Boraxo" (http://mybrands.com/images/products/large/BORAXO.jpg - broken link) , which I used to exfoliate my face, cured my acne when I was 16; it's said acne is caused by a microorganism that "nests" in our skin so I believe now the borax in Boraxo killed it. I've also read cases of rosacea and psoriasis that responded very well to borax, ah, nothing like what God put on this earth!
Just PLEASE be very careful with the Borax. It can be VERY dangerous. We use borax mixed with peanut butter to kill insects (ants, roaches, etc...) around here. It works very well as a pesticide; so make sure that you aren't don't bad damage to your body with it in this use.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Just PLEASE be very careful with the Borax. It can be VERY dangerous. We use borax mixed with peanut butter to kill insects (ants, roaches, etc...) around here. It works very well as a pesticide; so make sure that you aren't don't bad damage to your body with it in this use.
Oh please! I've gone through this a few times with overly cautious people. Listen, first off, at my age (50s) I would not do something irresponsible like recommending something that could hurt anyone in a public forum.

Besides, I did my research on this, if you read the MSDS for borax under Toxicity to Humans the comments are hardly damning at all. Besides, borax is not easily absorbed through the skin as you can see there, that's why it's perfectly safe to be used for washing clothes in a machine, where it's guaranteed there will be a residue left on your clothes. And for the purposes of this remedy, it would only be on the scalp (or face) for a few minutes; in any case, the fact that I've used it repeatedly without any ill effects should speak for itself.

Are you sure you're not confusing boric acid with borax? Boric acid is the one normally used against roaches, but even that one is safe to use medicinally if people know what they're doing. My maternal grandmother, who lived to 95, used a solution of it to cure skin infections and even conjuntivitis (eye infection). So thanks to her I was able to cure myself of it, also my children and an ex-b/f. And I almost forgot that last year, since I had no boric acid, I used borax to make a solution that cured my roommate whose eyes were red, itchy and crusty and for whom an antibiotic ointment was not working.

Also, I once realized I was having another case of strep throat (my 2nd time), it was Friday afternoon and I couldn't get to a doctor and my throat was beginning to close so I was beginning to panic wondering how I'd get through the weekend or even get any sleep. I then thought of boric acid curing conjuntivitis, so I made a slightly stronger solution of boric acid and water and gargled with it and almost immediately felt relief. I repeated before going to bed and was able to sleep the whole night, in the morning I only felt minimum discomfort but I did it again and soon I was completely free of pain, this was over 12 years ago and I'm alive and kicking...

And even if you are really talking about borax, just because it kills roaches and other bugs it DOESN'T mean it's the same for humans (e.g., the amount needed to kill a rabbit is very large!),after all chocolate is very toxic to cats and dogs but for a lot of *us" humans it's a delight that can actually benefit us (the dark one, that is).

Last edited by TiredOfSFL; 04-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 PM

Here's more info about the healing properties of borax, the introduction is from a chemist living in Thailand:

Borax Cures

Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
While borax is not acutely toxic, it would still be best to see a dermatologist if standard OTC dandruff remedies don't work for you. "Dandruff" can be caused by many primary maladies and usually isn't just a non-descript peripheral occurrence. If it can't be controlled with salicylic acid, pyrithione zinc, or other OTC remedies designed to control the symptoms of the mild skin conditions which cause dandruff, there is a good possibility that the problem might be more serious than you think.

Furthermore, borax is alkaline and, therefore, can cause significant skin irritation if used improperly or in high concentrations.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,191 times
Default My two cents

My two cents: I've been dealing with moderate acne and severe dandruff for years. Ive been to a couple of dermatologists and they've all concluded that I have seborrhic dermatitis. They prescribed medicines that have dried out my skin and put my life and future children in danger. Thus i refuse to continue on drugs. I've tried all kinds of remedies with no relief. For me, maintenance is the key. The nizoral works great but you need to let it sit for at least 5 minutes. I've done the vinegar rinse as well and the key is to dilute it appropriately or you will burn your scalp. I haven't tried the borax but it sounds very logical as most people are overly acidic and it's alkalizing nature would probably be very soothing. I also changed my diet which didn't help but at least I eat healthier. It's also a good idea to wash regularly and switch up your remedies. Look up African black soap on you tube. This stuff works great on my face to remove make-up and tighten the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care