Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times

Advertisements

I used to have very long hair past my waist. It was rail straight and actually never tangled, but I hated the feel of it.

When I decided to cut it short hair dresser after hair dresser straight up argued with me. They refused to cut it all off at once...they would "compromise" with a bob, which is what I did. I was young at the time and not good at standing up for myself. I hated the bob even more than the long hair...it was never at the right length to tuck behind my ears without the ends looking ragged and uneven.

So I got it cut really short. I warned the hair dresser that I would not take the time to style...I needed something super easy that basically required no effort greater than a quick comb through. I would not use product, would not blow dry, etc.

So she gives me a style that required spiking it up. When I told her I was sure I wouldn't be able to replicate she argued me with. "Oh, it's just a little product...you just run your fingers through your hair, it's easy..."

And of course it looked terrible on me because I have no eye for design and couldn't maintain it. Moreover, I didn't even have the slightest clue what I was doing wrong.

Finally, finally I found a hair dresser who actually listened. I know she thinks I'm crazy, but she gave me something that still looks halfway decent even if I don't do a thing with it. It's almost a boy's cut, but she took the time to explain little things that made it more feminine and also explained how to make it more 'fancy' if I was ever in the mood. She doesn't chide me when I wait way too long between cuts and look all shaggy when I finally show up for a trim.

She's actually very expensive, especially considering how short it is, but I can't imagine switching. Anyone else have hair dressers who fought you? How did you handle it? Did you ever end up feeling they were actually right and you were wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
No. I dont argue with myself.

But I never had that happen other than when I was younger I would bring in a picture and ask them to do that look on me when I knew nothing about hair. The stylist would tell me how much work it would take to do that daily and create something easier that was kinda like it after I decided I was NOT going to be playing with my hair for 2 hours ever morning.Lol

I cut other peoples' hair for free. I am not a pro. But if you came to me with that super long hair I would only take off about 4 inches at a time. I did cut someone's hair that was about that long and they wanted that bob you hated. I have had long and short hair so I talked them into the middle ground and cut it so it flipped under. They were glad they listened to me because they could still pull it back easily.

In the past I do think I get better results in going to a higher end salon. They just have better customer service communication skills. Its like eating at Mcdonalds vs. a 5 star restaurant. They both get the job done but one makes you feel better and look better.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Very interesting subject; glad you started a post!

One time a stylist and I disagreed; she was to hi-light my hair and my request was for 'cool' tones (beige) since it goes best with my fair skin. She insisted on 'warm' tones (gold). It got to be quite a debate and I was just about ready to get up and leave when she said, "Ok, this time you win, but next time I win!" Well obviously there never was a next time.

Many stylists are very knowledgeable about what will look best on a person; but that particular gal had no clue.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
No. I dont argue with myself.

But I never had that happen other than when I was younger I would bring in a picture and ask them to do that look on me when I knew nothing about hair. The stylist would tell me how much work it would take to do that daily and create something easier that was kinda like it after I decided I was NOT going to be playing with my hair for 2 hours ever morning.Lol

I cut other peoples' hair for free. I am not a pro. But if you came to me with that super long hair I would only take off about 4 inches at a time. I did cut someone's hair that was about that long and they wanted that bob you hated. I have had long and short hair so I talked them into the middle ground and cut it so it flipped under. They were glad they listened to me because they could still pull it back easily.

In the past I do think I get better results in going to a higher end salon. They just have better customer service communication skills. Its like eating at Mcdonalds vs. a 5 star restaurant. They both get the job done but one makes you feel better and look better.

Why the 4 inch rule, though? If they ask you to cut it off and they hate it, it's their own fault...why not just have them sign a short form stating they know it is a radical change? This kind of rule is what left me frustrated and with styles I hated for years.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Went to a stylist that kept brushing so hard and kept catching my ears it was so horrible. I asked her nicely if she could brush lighter. She said "sorry you can't handle a little pain ". So... I said. Sorry you can't handle losing a client. I got up and walked out. What a b....

Old 05-31-2012, 07:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Why the 4 inch rule, though? If they ask you to cut it off and they hate it, it's their own fault...why not just have them sign a short form stating they know it is a radical change? This kind of rule is what left me frustrated and with styles I hated for years.

I just tell them (as I am doing it as a favor not for cash) that I can always cut off more later. People think they want short hair until they have it sometimes. Then they have to wait months for it to come back. I don't mind make the cut 2-3 times just to be sure. Especially if they had long hair forever. Plus taking off the weight of hair can make it less heavy and it may bounce up higher than the cut and give them the volume and ease they are looking for.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I now cut my own hair after the last person I went to argued with me about how I wanted my hair cut. I am in my 40's and have spent the past 20+ years messing with it - everything from a pixie cut to waist length, from platinum blonde to jet black. I KNOW my own hair.

Now I use the creaclip to cut my long hair, layers, and bangs, and my hair has never looked better! (check youtube to find lots of videos on how to use the creaclip)

Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,927 times
Generally, when my life is in a upheaval (real or imagined) the first thing I usually do is decide on a radical haircut.

I've had several hairstylist refuse to make such a huge change. Many stylist, including my best friend are trained to see the pain beneath the cut. Each stylist however was more then willing to cut my hair at no charge within a month if I still felt like I wanted the original haircut I asked for.

That said, I am so grateful to these hairstylist that took the time to talk to me and understand what was beneath the surface.

And to those that didn't get (I was having a meltdown) and I ended up looking like a massacred shrub..well thank the good Lord, hair grows back.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times
I think the worst ones are those that say "ok" and then do not follow your instructions. I always tell them to take off 1" in the back for my bob cut, but inevitably, they take off a lot more than that, which is not necessary every 4-6 weeks for a trim. It's frustrating to have them say "fine" and then not follow the instructions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care