U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 PM

19,126 posts, read 15,232,411 times

Advertisements

I wish I could shave my head again... It made my life so much easier. But, there was such a backlash from friends and family that I will never cut it short just so I never have to deal with their attitudes.

Working on engines makes having long hair downright dangerous, you have to be really careful to have your hair tied back properly or you could get a nice chunk torn out.

My hair is super thick, wavy/curly and down past my shoulder blades and I hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 AM

17,336 posts, read 12,350,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Nice as long hair may be, it always seems to be attached to the most horrid people. I've seen so many women go on about "I've got loooong hair, down to my butt and it's soooo gorgeous. Once I cut my hair short, just below my breasts and having it so short was sooo ugly! I couldn't wait for it to get beautiful and long again!" It's an attitude I don't care for and makes me want to chop their hair off in their sleep, just to watch the pathetic aftermath.
That reminds me of a childhood neighbor I had. She was new to the area, and everyone one on our block was an established group. I think my mom told me to go over to her house and play, because she met her mother at a PTA meeting.

She was a weird girl. She complained that I added sunshines to my pictures when I was coloring (I liked it to be sunny in my coloring books!). I think I played with her 2 or 3 times. The last time I played with her, she wanted to play "princesses." This was not my kind of game. She said, "I get to be the princess because my hair is long, and you are the prince because you have short hair." I probably had cute pigtails like this at that time:

I decided I didn't want to play with that girl anymore, because I thought her princess logic was dumb. I don't know if she moved away or what, she wasn't friends with any of the other kids on our street. We all thought she was snooty. And liked playing tag more than "princesses."

(My hair is currently chin length. I am thinking of cutting it shorter)

Femininity has nothing to do with hair length.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,112,121 times
Some women cut their hair very short as a "I don't care anymore" attitude. Those are the frumpy, blah ones....

Some women cut their hair very short as a stylish move. Halle Berry, Emma Watson, Michelle Williams, etc...

I don't base hair length on age either, I think that's silly. It's what works for each person. Height, weight, bone structure, face shape, skin condition, etc...

I'm pretty petite- 5'2", 108lbs. & I've worn my hair in a pixie since my early 20's. I have the Halle Berry kind of messy cut but I'm blond. I've totally retained my femininity. I wear light make up & love sundresses, etc.. Having a pixie cut is part of a look & you have to dress & accesorize to pull it off. Sure, if I wore my hair "marcy darcy", wore mom jeans, a flannel shirt, & "sensible shoes", I'd probably look like crap...

I've had no problem getting male attention, so don't fall for that "all men love long hair garbage". Plenty seem to think short hair is woman enough....if it's done right.

I was the first girl with short hair my now husband ever dated & I got more complaints from people when I tried to grow it out than when I cut it off. Say what you want, it works for some of us.

Last edited by PixiStix; 06-23-2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 PM

224 posts, read 374,926 times
Perhaps short hair is more common in some parts of the country? I had very long hair when I moved out west. Several co-worker friends with short hair convinced me to get my hair cut as they said after 30 it looks immature for a woman to have long hair. Got to thinking about it and it made sense to me as I have often thought old women with long hair looked like they were attempting to look 18 when they were 60. Since I have always been active and outdoorsy the short hair was nice as I could hike without having long sweaty hair blowing in my face every step I took. (I don't like to tie my hair in a ponytail as it gives me a headache.) Well years later I move to the South and while there are some women with short hair it seems to be mostly the over 60 crowd who does. I have had constant derogatory comments from women here as to why I have short hair and its too short even when it is over my ears and down to my collar and not the 1 inch crew cuts some of you are talking about here. One of the ladies at gym was giving me hard time that I needed to grow my hair long like hers and then a couple months later she walks in with her hair cut off! LOL My situation is also complicated by fact I am American Indian and people dispute my ethnicity I think because I have short hair instead of the stereotypical long, flowing Indian maiden look in western movies. I assure you on the reservation the older Indian women do have short hair and are just as Indian but I live around non-Indians that don't understand this. I have considering growing my hair out again though I hate the thoughts of dealing with hot, sweaty, soured, long hair blowing in my face when I'm outdoors.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:10 PM

10,234 posts, read 7,792,629 times
My hair is baby fine and always has been. My poor mom was in despair, and kept curling it so it would be 'thicker'. When she quit I eradicated all the curly stuff. I dye it so that makes it a little more brittle, but I don't do it frequently. But past my shoulders, the parts that grow fast are too long, and the parts that poke along slowly are stilll poking along and it gets trimmed off just past my shoulders. Rule for summer is long enough to get it off my shoulders with its 'feather duster' feel as it tickles or real short. I'd love to grow it longer, but it just isn't going to happen.

I don't get where women have to be tailored to men's fantacies either. So long hair, no muscles, dressed in pink (ICKY yuck) is 'just right'? What right does a man have to tell any women that? Maybe he can stick to the superficial stuff and ignore a huge bunch of women he might find he likes more.

My really hot guy? Hair that's long. Even down the back, but at least mullet style random anacrchy down his neck. Love beards too. Does this mean I get to say how men should do their hair? We're not even getting into utter crap like body shaving... more ick.

Thing is that's just the outside package. Some guy who just has to have long hair on his woman won't ever get to find out if it could be me. Some guy with a buzz cut since he LIKES it might be my best friend, but if I couldn't look past it and put it down, I'd be the loser.

Hair is ours to do as we please. Long, short, curled, straight, purple, red, blue, blonde, chocolate brown, thin thick, we get to choose within what our hair will do, what is comfortable and what we LIKE. If older women like really short, then who can dare tell them its not 'feminine' or the like? Its their choice.

If everyone did their thing, made their hair AS THEY PERSONALLY LIKED IT and ignored 'trends' and 'fashion' it would be a whole lot better place without sheep amongst us.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 PM

3,304 posts, read 3,777,108 times
I live in Boston and this look is very prevalent. Maybe it has something to do with the hyper-liberal and career minded crowd?

Also a lot of staunch feminists and ex-hippies?

I'm not sure. In FL most women have longer hair, at least short bobs which is strange because you would think the heat would make them want to stay cool with a short do?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,563,113 times
I got my hair cut like Emma Watson and I tell you it does take balls to do it. It was incredibly liberating. I love my hair and like that it is very different than most I live and work around.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM

34,273 posts, read 20,553,387 times
I'm from Pa too. We have many that do the angled bob or long curled locks. Some have shoulder length.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 PM

1,171 posts, read 967,374 times
I'm not a fan of it on women. The buzzcut thing does nothing for me. I think I can speak with most other men about it. You need at least almost to your shoulders IMO. That's MORE than the man you are with. You are a woman, look like one PLEASE!!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 AM

224 posts, read 374,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
I'm not a fan of it on women. The buzzcut thing does nothing for me. I think I can speak with most other men about it. You need at least almost to your shoulders IMO. That's MORE than the man you are with. You are a woman, look like one PLEASE!!
Who says women are all trying to get men? Some people look a certain way to please themselves not other people. The majority of men today have looks and style not worth bragging about either. Have you noticed how either sissy, unkempt or ghetto men both old and young look today? But that's their business not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care