U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:57 PM

3,381 posts, read 6,764,972 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to just highlight hair and add a base color in the future? As in highlight my hair this week and eventually add a base say in 3 months or so?

Or if one eventually will want a base color should they start with a base for highlighting?

I had a hair dresser once who I went to and asked for a base color with my highlights. I already had partial highlights and she told me a base would not be possible and I would just have to highlight until I got the look I wanted.

I have a A LOT of hair and this process takes forever and is super damaging. I eventually got too light for my taste and it was impossible to blend my roots in because of how light it was.

What I want to do is slowly lighten my medium brown hair by adding caramel and buttery highlights and eventually add a nice dark blonde or light brown base and just highlight over that minimally every 3 months or so.

I just don't want to go straight from my current medium brown (dark brown in some spots) to blonde overnight as I feel its too jarring and instead I want to go with gradual lightening until I can eventually convince people the sun did most of it and I just spruced it up w/highlights

Thanks for the input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 PM

4,328 posts, read 5,400,446 times
I don't see why you couldn't. All you'd be doing is coloring the roots as they grow in, with a shade that kind of matches the highlighting.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 AM

3,595 posts, read 4,122,349 times
I would talk with your stylist and see if you can get a massive amount of lowlights with just a few highlights right around your face & crown and do that a few cycles so your base hair color appears much lighter than it is currently. Then you can lift your base to match the lowlights after about 9 months/1 year and add more highlights. In the interim, if you want more highlights beyond that, you can get a few clip-ins

Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM

880 posts, read 2,653,538 times
Default Yes

I have this done all the time as my "usual." Most stylists will do the foils and once complete will go in and brush on the base in between the foils. I have also gotten my base without the highlights if my foils were too bright previously. So, yes it is very common to do this. I'd be sure to find a stylist who already does this as color is a _itch to mess with and if your hair is already damaged, I'd shop around for a colorist that has more experience.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone!

I have been looking at different salons in my area with 4 and 5 star reviews on Yelp and they are all so expensive.

Were talking spending on average $100 a month on hair and thats not counting purple shampoos and products to take care of the damaged hair.

My budget is so tight with being in college full-time, if I had to spend $100 per month extra I would be eating rice and beans for every meal.

I know if I just leave my hair like this, once Fall semester starts I'll just die seeing all of the girls with their perfect highlights that they get because most of the people at my college are rich as ****.

I already feel broke watching them walk around in burberry boots and Jcrew pea coats. Thats not even my style but when I was 19, 20 years old I was broke as most 19 and 20 years old are everywhere outside of my school which consists mainly of rich white people from connecticut and NY.

I really can't afford the upkeep in a salon.

So I need a low maintenance look.

I have experience doing at home foils...but I need to get my base done first at a salon. My hair is almost at my waist and parts have been processed, parts are virgin.

Do you think if I get my entire head brought up to a light brown shade would it be too damaging to do at home highlights?

When I used to do at home highlights, they were just straight onto my dark brown/or medium brown hair. Roots mainetence was a pain the the bum.

I'm thinking I could touch my base up (roots only) at home since roots usually process well and do my highlights every 2 or 3 months.

Does this sound like it would work or is there too much room for error?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM

8,164 posts, read 7,829,046 times
If you color all over and cover the highlights, then go back in and RE-highlight, you will be lighteing previously lightened hair and cold risk damage. It can be done, it should just be done carefully to maintain the integrity of the hair, especially if it is very long. Keep in mind that once highlighted hair is colored, it doesn't undo the previous highlight, if that makes sense. It's still under there and will be until it is cut out.

Is there a beauty school nearby? If you need to save money you could always ask for a student near graduation to do your highlights for you. Whether you go to an regualr salon or school, though, you will want to be sure they have a full understanding of what you ahve done when as far as previous highlights, all over color, etc.

With waist length hair you are bound to pay more than most no matter where you go.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 AM

28,837 posts, read 29,406,172 times
Let me be the voice of a mom and tell you that as someone who is college aged your natural hair is never going to be more beautiful than it is right now. Don't ruin it or waste your money. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Save the hassles for when you are old and grey and may actually NEED color and highlights. /rant over.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Tell that to the majority of college women in the U.S. that spend a good amount of their money and time on bleaching, dying, chemically straightening, and perming their hair.

A good walk around any college campus would reveal this.

I can see where you are coming from...but I already have grays! They stand out on my dark brown hair. I'm starting to believe that they really do come from stress because I have had a stressful lifestyle for a long time now. Even if I didn't want to highlight and all of my hair was natural...I would feel compelled to dye it to hide the grays. At least I would dye the individual gray strands.

My family always want me to have my hair be it's natural color....they think its light brown like when I was a child and when I actually do where my hair natural which is dark brown now they say it's too dark for me

What do they know about this...all of them have lustrous naturally black hair.

I got my boring and apparently unflattering hair dark brown hair from my Jewish/Russian side of the family which I have virtually no contact with.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 AM

8,164 posts, read 7,829,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Let me be the voice of a mom and tell you that as someone who is college aged your natural hair is never going to be more beautiful than it is right now. Don't ruin it or waste your money. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Save the hassles for when you are old and grey and may actually NEED color and highlights. /rant over.
I disagree. Hair is the one accessory we wear every single day. It should be changed now and then! Otherwise why bother to even cut it?

Not everyone's natural color is the most flattering on them, and not everyone's natural color is beautiful without some help from color or highlights. Hair color is SO MUCH MORE than just covering grey.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM

28,837 posts, read 29,406,172 times
I only say it because hair color isn't just a bit of color you put on top your head (unless you use the 1 week wash outs), it is full of harsh, dangerous and banned in some countries chemicals that can ruin hair, thin hair, and cause people to develop reactions that make it's continued use impossible.

I played around with it since my 30's, my daughter since her teens, and I've learned a lot from both our experiences. I'm not saying don't do it if you want but really think about the reasons. KEEP IT OFF YOUR SCALP. It's a chore, a lot of $$, and a potential danger and a PITA to keep up. I still color, I'm 100% gray and in no way ready for that! But I have issues and reactions every time now and have to take precautions. My dd cut had a scalp reaction after her last all over color even though it was the same kind of stuff she's used for 10 years so she has gone a couple years with nothing but a few foils and lightened tips to keep it off her skin.

Last edited by Ceece; 09-28-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care