Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 04:39 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,389 times

Advertisements

Here is my question:

You can't color- (lighten) artificial hair color, right? Then how can you color artificial hair color with highlight foils to lighten? I don't understand that.

Back in June I had a color mess up done on my hair and all of my hair ended up being colored an auburn color- was just awful. First pic with Auburn color hair was the color mess up I got from a stylist. He agreed to fix it but didn't fix it much. So I went to another salon and paid to have a stylist with 30 yrs experience fix my hair- the second pic. My hair is currently the color of the second pic and the third pic- color of my roots- aka- my natural hair color- just took the second pic and third pic this morning.

I want to get my hair colored like- the last pic posted.
Is it possible to get my hair to those light blonde colors? My natural hair color is only my re-growth.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
You can't color artificial color, correct? Then how can you highlight artificial color to lighten it?-dsc.jpg   You can't color artificial color, correct? Then how can you highlight artificial color to lighten it?-dsc07.jpg   You can't color artificial color, correct? Then how can you highlight artificial color to lighten it?-dsc072.jpg   You can't color artificial color, correct? Then how can you highlight artificial color to lighten it?-hair.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,863 times
Quote:
Then how can you color artificial hair color with highlight foils to lighten?
With bleach. Or color remover + protein filler, assuming the original lift was adequate.

Yes, you should be able to get pastel blonde highlights, but it will be more damaging on previously colored hair than it would be on virgin hair.

And for the record, I think the auburn shade looked great. At least from the back!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I want to get my hair colored like- the last pic posted.
Is it possible to get my hair to those light blonde colors? My natural hair color is only my re-growth.
Yes, absolutely!
Considering your hair color now is fairly blonde from previous highlights, a professional stylist should easily be able to get you to the blonde you're wanting.

Some stylists might simply give you all-over blonde highlights in several different shades of blonde (to give you more dimensions to your hair), while other stylists might prefer coloring your hair all over a non-brassy dark blonde and then giving you all-over highlights.

I have had both ^ done at different salons and the only complaint I had was about my root touchup. My roots are almost the identical shade of yours and when my first stylist simply re-highlighted my full head the roots were a slightly different color because they were virgin hair. Other times I was given all-over full blonde highlights and had dark blonde color placed between the highlight foils and my roots, which took longer and cost more, but looked very nice.

Considering you're hair is still brassy from the auburn color, I would stress getting at least 2 different blonde highlight tones placed in your hair to even it out. If all else fails after the trip to the salon, you could always use a purple/blue toner to remove the brassiness.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
With bleach. Or color remover + protein filler, assuming the original lift was adequate.

Yes, you should be able to get pastel blonde highlights, but it will be more damaging on previously colored hair than it would be on virgin hair.

And for the record, I think the auburn shade looked great. At least from the back!
Thank you for the reply.
Lol- Thanks. I thought my hair looked awful Auburn color.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Yes, absolutely!
Considering your hair color now is fairly blonde from previous highlights, a professional stylist should easily be able to get you to the blonde you're wanting.

Some stylists might simply give you all-over blonde highlights in several different shades of blonde (to give you more dimensions to your hair), while other stylists might prefer coloring your hair all over a non-brassy dark blonde and then giving you all-over highlights.

I have had both ^ done at different salons and the only complaint I had was about my root touchup. My roots are almost the identical shade of yours and when my first stylist simply re-highlighted my full head the roots were a slightly different color because they were virgin hair. Other times I was given all-over full blonde highlights and had dark blonde color placed between the highlight foils and my roots, which took longer and cost more, but looked very nice.

Considering you're hair is still brassy from the auburn color, I would stress getting at least 2 different blonde highlight tones placed in your hair to even it out. If all else fails after the trip to the salon, you could always use a purple/blue toner to remove the brassiness.
Thank you for your reply and info
I really want to be happy with how my hair turns out.
That is funny that you are naturally about the same color as me.
I made my appt for- a base color and full highlights. Was that the way that you thought looked nicer?
The last hair pic I posted has 2 different tones of blonde- I thought, No? So you recommend doing that plus a different color for the base? How often did you get your roots re-done? How do you have your hair color now?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Thank you for your reply and info
I really want to be happy with how my hair turns out.
That is funny that you are naturally about the same color as me.
I made my appt for- a base color and full highlights. Was that the way that you thought looked nicer?
The last hair pic I posted has 2 different tones of blonde- I thought, No? So you recommend doing that plus a different color for the base? How often did you get your roots re-done? How do you have your hair color now?
Yeah, considering your roots have grown out and are a different color from the highlights and auburn base you have throughout your hair, you'd probably be better reapplying a new base color and then full highlights around the color. If you just apply light blonde full highlights your hair should look almost identical to the picture (considering that the girls' highlights are in a lighter auburn color, like yours); however your roots will look different because your natural hair color is not auburn like the rest of your hair. When I had that happen in my hair, no one really commented on the difference, but I sure noticed it. And you're right, there's different blonde tones in her auburn/dark blonde hair. I think all you'd need is for your stylist to give you full light blonde highlights and put a base color similar to the 'darker' blonde/auburn highlights in the last picture.

I was last a brassy light brown color (which I did myself because I was bored, lol) and then had my hair fully highlighted with 2 different tones of blonde. My roots have grown out a little over an inch now (it's been 2 months) and I have an appt. this week too I usually have my hair re-highlighted or recolored every 2-3 months depending on the color. Because I'm currently fairly blonde, my roots are noticeable and are driving me crazy

Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, considering your roots have grown out and are a different color from the highlights and auburn base you have throughout your hair, you'd probably be better reapplying a new base color and then full highlights around the color. If you just apply light blonde full highlights your hair should look almost identical to the picture (considering that the girls' highlights are in a lighter auburn color, like yours); however your roots will look different because your natural hair color is not auburn like the rest of your hair. When I had that happen in my hair, no one really commented on the difference, but I sure noticed it. And you're right, there's different blonde tones in her auburn/dark blonde hair. I think all you'd need is for your stylist to give you full light blonde highlights and put a base color similar to the 'darker' blonde/auburn highlights in the last picture.

I was last a brassy light brown color (which I did myself because I was bored, lol) and then had my hair fully highlighted with 2 different tones of blonde. My roots have grown out a little over an inch now (it's been 2 months) and I have an appt. this week too I usually have my hair re-highlighted or recolored every 2-3 months depending on the color. Because I'm currently fairly blonde, my roots are noticeable and are driving me crazy
Thank you
I will talk with her to see what her suggestion is on how to apply it. But yes, I would like a darker blonde color or so applied to my hair as a base and then full light blonde highlights added to my hair- like you suggested
My hair is driving me crazy too. I havent had anything done to my hair for 8 weeks also. The last lady had just added in a few blonde highlights to my hair. Typically I use to get my base color and highlights re-done every 10-12 wks. But I think that is to long to wait for me. What color or colors are you going to get on your hair?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Well I found a really amazing picture online (but I can't find it now)... the lady in the picture had like a dark chocolate brown base and had the top highlighted with a light blonde, caramel, and light brown highlights. I took the picture to my stylist and while she got all of the colors right, she didn't put enough blonde highlights so it just looks like a dark brown with very sparse blonde highlights. Seriously, it looks nothing like the picture. Not even close. Let me see if I can find a picture of it somewhere.

It's sooo frustrating to have my hair done! I rarely get what I ask for

Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Well I found a really amazing picture online (but I can't find it now)... the lady in the picture had like a dark chocolate brown base and had the top highlighted with a light blonde, caramel, and light brown highlights. I took the picture to my stylist and while she got all of the colors right, she didn't put enough blonde highlights so it just looks like a dark brown with very sparse blonde highlights. Seriously, it looks nothing like the picture. Not even close. Let me see if I can find a picture of it somewhere.

It's sooo frustrating to have my hair done! I rarely get what I ask for
Awww, I'm sorry I have been there- yes, it is very frustrating.
Did you tell her that you weren't to happy with how your color came out?
Go back and have her fix your color to how you want it for free- she definitely should.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM

I wish I was brave enough... I have only ONCE gone back to a salon because the color did not turn out right and they were beyond rude to me. I could almost tell that my stylist knew I wasn't happy because she kept saying "Ohhh it looks so good, right?" and of course I responded with silence lol.

Did you end up getting your hair colored yet? How did it turn out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care