Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

The color will fade and bit and seem to fade a bit more when it oxidizes. Your base color will affect the oxidized color. If you are on the darker brown side it will go more auburn but if your hair is light it may turn orange. The water you wash your hair with will matter too. Metals in the water can affect how the color ages. I suggest getting a shower head filter. Its better for your hair anyway henna or not.

Yes. You are going to have to do root touch up. My henna didn't leave a really hard line like chemical dyes can though.
If your hair is a deep enough brown the grow in looks like natural season change growth as summer can bring out everyone's highlights. But its easier as you can just mash the henna on your scalp and not worry about chemical burns.

You can use body art quality henna with hair color.

But here are some issues:
- You can't bleach out henna. Bleaching only pushes the henna deeper into the cuticle.
- Henna dyes may contain metal salts. Body Art henna does (should not) not. That is what reacts with the dyes. Just like how you can't use metallic chemical dyes like feria with bleach.
- If you want to remove it/fade it there are methods. A clarifying shampoo can help. There is also the honey or baking soda method.
- I have shampoo-ed it out. But it took almost 6 months and a lot of drying clarifying treatments/conditioning treatments.
- I have used chemical dye over it (lush henna- no metallic salts) - the only issue according to lush would be that my dye may come out blotchy or not stick to the henna parts. (i used garnier HerbaShine - says not to use over henna so I wanted to test it to see what it would do - swatch test off my head first of course...lol)

The dye went over the faded henna as I didnt have time to mess with henna and my hair was going two tones of nasty. The clarifying treatments took out the dark brown and blended the root line really quickly. It was a reddish brown for a couple months after that. Then finally back to my normal brown and was getting blond streaks from the sun that had zero red to them.

I was really surprised how long the red lasted. I just wish it didn't have to soak on my head for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Has anyone had any breakage with henna? I have had some in the crown and front. Nothing major major, but my hair, while growing, feels a bit thinner. The top of my hair is more susceptible to breakage than the other parts. I keep my hair moisturized, but it does tangle easily.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Has anyone had any breakage with henna? I have had some in the crown and front. Nothing major major, but my hair, while growing, feels a bit thinner. The top of my hair is more susceptible to breakage than the other parts. I keep my hair moisturized, but it does tangle easily.
I didn't do it very long ago, but due to chemical dies my baby fine hair was splintering. The grey formula stuff was worse than the regular. I had to cut off three inches where it had been dyed twice and was breaking off in hunks. After I did the henna, I have noticed almost NO breakage at all, which is highly unusual for me. I can't say how long the effect will last but it just may give it the chance to get past my shoulders, after I grow out the remainder of the dark brown which you can see has badly splntered

After washing it it didn't leave the mess of broken hair either which is an even better indication of it being stronger. I've always had baby fine hair and it gets very tiresome to see some growth and then have to trim it all off.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
The color will fade and bit and seem to fade a bit more when it oxidizes. Your base color will affect the oxidized color. If you are on the darker brown side it will go more auburn but if your hair is light it may turn orange. The water you wash your hair with will matter too. Metals in the water can affect how the color ages. I suggest getting a shower head filter. Its better for your hair anyway henna or not.

Yes. You are going to have to do root touch up. My henna didn't leave a really hard line like chemical dyes can though.
If your hair is a deep enough brown the grow in looks like natural season change growth as summer can bring out everyone's highlights. But its easier as you can just mash the henna on your scalp and not worry about chemical burns.

You can use body art quality henna with hair color.

But here are some issues:
- You can't bleach out henna. Bleaching only pushes the henna deeper into the cuticle.
- Henna dyes may contain metal salts. Body Art henna does (should not) not. That is what reacts with the dyes. Just like how you can't use metallic chemical dyes like feria with bleach.
- If you want to remove it/fade it there are methods. A clarifying shampoo can help. There is also the honey or baking soda method.
- I have shampoo-ed it out. But it took almost 6 months and a lot of drying clarifying treatments/conditioning treatments.
- I have used chemical dye over it (lush henna- no metallic salts) - the only issue according to lush would be that my dye may come out blotchy or not stick to the henna parts. (i used garnier HerbaShine - says not to use over henna so I wanted to test it to see what it would do - swatch test off my head first of course...lol)

The dye went over the faded henna as I didnt have time to mess with henna and my hair was going two tones of nasty. The clarifying treatments took out the dark brown and blended the root line really quickly. It was a reddish brown for a couple months after that. Then finally back to my normal brown and was getting blond streaks from the sun that had zero red to them.

I was really surprised how long the red lasted. I just wish it didn't have to soak on my head for so long.
I use a britta for food and drinking water so that's a good suggestion. Actually what I'd LIKE is a whole house full osmosis system but doubt I could afford that.

I loved it when I shushed it all over my hair and put on the cap and nothing was running down my neck and nothing smelled yucky. I didn't use the gloves, but the stain in the fingers washed out in a few days. That alone sold me on the advantage, along with the general hair destroying properties of regular dyes.

My hair as it grows in is a maybe fifty fifty mix of silver grey and dark blonde. it came out a nice color, but I want to give it one more cover when I do the roots to give it more red. But I'm thrilled that it is settling into a nice non orange natural looking red. None of the chemical dyes I tried ever quite did. The heavily dark brown part is so damaged and uneven as it grows I plan to trim it, but the rest took the same color as the roots. Before it had four different colors strips, not only the two.

I didn't keep up on the roots so as not to damage the hair any more than I had to before, but I LOVE that I can with this. I have no plans for stripping it out. If it starts to fade I could do an all over repeat after the roots as well.

I'm considering an inbetween use of the clear henna just to strengthen the hair as well. This application made my hair feel like there was twice as much there.

Honestly I wonder why more don't use henna. Overall it was far less messy than chemical stuff and no harder to apply at all.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:

When I was doing my reading before trying it out I saw that some people were prone to breaking with henna due to various reasons:

- method of app (lemon juice, too hot = breakage)
- natural hair reaction - seemed some ethnic curls just didnt work with it
- well water

Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I use a britta for food and drinking water so that's a good suggestion. Actually what I'd LIKE is a whole house full osmosis system but doubt I could afford that.

I loved it when I shushed it all over my hair and put on the cap and nothing was running down my neck and nothing smelled yucky. I didn't use the gloves, but the stain in the fingers washed out in a few days. That alone sold me on the advantage, along with the general hair destroying properties of regular dyes.

My hair as it grows in is a maybe fifty fifty mix of silver grey and dark blonde. it came out a nice color, but I want to give it one more cover when I do the roots to give it more red. But I'm thrilled that it is settling into a nice non orange natural looking red. None of the chemical dyes I tried ever quite did. The heavily dark brown part is so damaged and uneven as it grows I plan to trim it, but the rest took the same color as the roots. Before it had four different colors strips, not only the two.

I didn't keep up on the roots so as not to damage the hair any more than I had to before, but I LOVE that I can with this. I have no plans for stripping it out. If it starts to fade I could do an all over repeat after the roots as well.

I'm considering an inbetween use of the clear henna just to strengthen the hair as well. This application made my hair feel like there was twice as much there.

Honestly I wonder why more don't use henna. Overall it was far less messy than chemical stuff and no harder to apply at all.
They do make little brita like things thats just a showerhead. I want one of those filtering systems too. LOL

Just watch for banding from layers of henna. Its just like how black hair dye can build up but your ends will be a deep brownish red and your roots more the original henna layer. If you do layer a clear over it watch for patchy reactions on next color app.

IF its body art henna you can also tint your brows with it too which is nice. Google some vids on youtube about it. I used the lush henna on my face no problem.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
When I was doing my reading before trying it out I saw that some people were prone to breaking with henna due to various reasons:

- well water
I have ethnic curls. I use aloe vera juice and water, amla powder, olive oil and sometimes non-citrus fruit juice in my mix. Maybe I need to replace the juices with water.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:

- well water
The box I got has a stringent warning to do the patch test. Some can be sensitive to henna too.

You also have to do the strand test.

I remember back in the days of your when I wanted my darkening blonde hair to be surfer girl blonde (not that I wanted to surf, but it was the thing) that I used pure lemon juice and sun to bleach it. Talk about damage to hair... Always test what you put on your hair before you put it on all of it, even if it is annoying.

It also said to mix with distilled water. The shower filter is a good idea for tap water too, especially if you use a britta to make it drinkable.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
They do make little brita like things thats just a showerhead. I want one of those filtering systems too. LOL

Just watch for banding from layers of henna. Its just like how black hair dye can build up but your ends will be a deep brownish red and your roots more the original henna layer. If you do layer a clear over it watch for patchy reactions on next color app.

IF its body art henna you can also tint your brows with it too which is nice. Google some vids on youtube about it. I used the lush henna on my face no problem.
I have invisible eye brows. That is a very interesting idea. I even tried hairdye and it did zilch. I've had the body art done and sure wish my person hadn't moved since I live the henna art. I was thinking of getting some and seeing if I could do simple things myself.

I'll watch the layering. I have one swatch which looks like a highlight which got done twice, testing the greys. It looks really good but is very small difference but I'll be careful. With the dyes, the dark brown took more time than suggested to cover and half of it would wash out so the washed out hair had to be redone too.

Its turning a very nice red and I'm very pleased as it ages. I'll be sure to do the roots more often as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,066 times
Quote:
I have ethnic curls. I use aloe vera juice and water, amla powder, olive oil and sometimes non-citrus fruit juice in my mix. Maybe I need to replace the juices with water.

You can replace the juice with cooled extra strength chamomile (or any herb) tea. Just use 3 teabags per cup of water. It is less acidic than citrus, but still provides the acid needed for good dye release. It is much gentler on the hair. Also the dye release happens sooner than with citrus, start checking at 2 hours. Don't use black or green tea though, you can absorb the caffeine through your scalp and get a nasty headache!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care