Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One of the reasons you don't see a lot of darker skin in the media is because it is harder to photograph and mix with other skin tones
there is always some excuse for why darkskin women should be excluded from the media or anything in life. just pure racism

Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
I love Rutina Wesley but that is not her hair and we have never seen her real hair. The first few seasons she wore braided extensions and now I guess they have the budget for the expensive weaves she has been wearing ever since. I don't know if that was her choice or the shows choice.

This is the op original issue. She is criticised by a white woman for being fake when she works in an industry that prefers a Caucasian look (straighter hair...lighter eyes...slim hips big boobs etc). So in order to compete she tryst to make herself look more like that ideal and is told by someone who doesn't walk in her shoes that she is fake and self-hating.

Next people come in here and act like history has no relevance and all that matters is your glowing personality. Sure that counts and maybe someone will over look your nappy hair and dark skin if you're an accountant...teacher...nurse but if you want to work in Hooters or places like that like the OP does they will NOT hire you sans weave with a very dark complexion.

I don't agree with everything Nyanna writes in Cd. I do think she extra at times and could use a good therapy session but let's not lie o.k? Black people are discriminated against and the darker you are the worse it is. Historically it has been a fact that lighter skinned people make whites less uncomfortable than darker skinned black people.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM

31,031 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Good points with respect to lighting on the Rutina Pictures.
There's still bias, as there will always be: Too heavy, Too Dark, Too light in that order, but from a videographic standpoint the ability for light to be reflected off of your subject is right there at the top from a Photographers standpoint. The Rutina photo is outstanding. The reflexion off her skin and muscles with the oil and the lighting is Excellent.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 09-12-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
there is always some excuse for why darkskin women should be excluded from the media or anything in life. just pure racism

That is not an excuse. Go check out snapshots of mixed races friends you know in different lighting.
Guessing you never worked as a lighting tech or photographer. Its even an issue when two white people get wedding photos and the bride went all tanorexia with her skin while the guy was just regular white guy tone. She may look good in person but you get a lot less shots that are flattering if any at all.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,501 times
my pet peeves are... brown eyed girls bleaching their hair blonde. Looks terrible!!! Black women with light hair or straight soft hair.... again so fake.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I love Rutina Wesley but that is not her hair and we have never seen her real hair. The first few seasons she wore braided extensions and now I guess they have the budget for the expensive weaves she has been wearing ever since. I don't know if that was her choice or the shows choice.

I am so tired of people hating on black women. so what if you never seen her real hair? why do we have to prove to you or the world what our real hair looks like?? If I never show anyone my real hair that is MY damn business.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
That is not an excuse. Go check out snapshots of mixed races friends you know in different lighting.
Guessing you never worked as a lighting tech or photographer. Its even an issue when two white people get wedding photos and the bride went all tanorexia with her skin while the guy was just regular white guy tone. She may look good in person but you get a lot less shots that are flattering if any at all.
You are really trying to make darkskin out to be inferior. You come up with all these excuses--it's the lighting, it's the angle, it's this, it's that...all justifications for your obvious prejudiced against darker people

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
my pet peeves are... brown eyed girls bleaching their hair blonde. Looks terrible!!! Black women with light hair or straight soft hair.... again so fake.
Your pet peeve and a $1 will get you coffee. Do you get mad at Asian women who bleach their hair or do eyelid surgery? I think an Asian woman with an eyelid crease looks so fake...if God wanted you people to wear eyeshadow you would have been born with a crease.

See how that works?

Folks should s.t.f.u and let folks live how they want too.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
you really are a troll. but there are ignorant people out there who think black women don't have the right to wear their hair straight because they are jealous/insecure of the competition. kinky hair can be straightened, curled, crimpled, braided, etc. its a very versatile hair texture.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I am so tired of people hating on black women. so what if you never seen her real hair? why do we have to prove to you or the world what our real hair looks like?? If I never show anyone my real hair that is MY damn business.
Girl re-read and then make an appt with a mental health counselor or go read some Iyanla Vanzant or something. I didn't say I wanted to see what Rutina has under that weave now did I?

I was pointing out that she is considered more acceptable in appearance with the weave than without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care