Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If she truly wanted it to be exclusively HER business, she wouldn't have come to City-Data forums asking everyone else's opinion.

Obviously, she wants it to be everyone else's business.

When people come here to ask questions, they should expect answers. If they don't like the answers, then they need to stop asking the questions.

We call this "rocket science" in my country.
The OP's hair became a topic of discussion when a jealous and insecure non-black woman insulted her by saying the color and texture of her hair is wrong for her race. If the non-black poster had not made that racist comment, then this topic would have never been made. I would have been upset too. I am tired of other races acting so territorial over straight hair, as if they have some kind of patent on it. Black women can wear straight hair too, and if it done properly, looks very flattering.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
You are really trying to make darkskin out to be inferior. You come up with all these excuses--it's the lighting, it's the angle, it's this, it's that...all justifications for your obvious prejudiced against darker people

No. I actually just have photographed for CD covers and weddings professionally. (one of my degrees)
Also just taking snap shots of friends it shows. Full high noon sunlight is really the only thing that looks best warm and real. Otherwise its that sterile bright white bouncing off boards and alot of the rich golden undertones of naturally dark of skin are lost.

It has nothing to do with being inferior skin. Its the technology that is inferior actually.

Swing and miss on being prejudiced against darker people. My favorite models and look is that dark cocoa skin look like grace jones. Its actually the skin color I would pick to have if we could trade in tones like outfits.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Girl re-read and then make an appt with a mental health counselor or go read some Iyanla Vanzant or something. I didn't say I wanted to see what Rutina has under that weave now did I?

I was pointing out that she is considered more acceptable in appearance with the weave than without.
You made a very smart alecky remark about how we have never seen Rutina's hair, as if every black woman is obligated to prove to the world, what their real hair looks like just to make you feel better about yourself. Through personal experience, I know the claws come out from other women when I flat iron my kinky hair--they start looking all up in my scalp, trying to touch my hair, and invading my personal privacy like I am a chia pet. They want to know if my hair is real or fake, so they can make comments about how black women don't ever wear their real hair. It's nothing but jealousy and the need to control us.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
Quote:
You made a very smart alecky remark about how we have never seen Rutina's hair, as if every black woman is obligated to prove to the world, what their real hair looks like just to make you feel better about yourself. Through personal experience, I know the claws come out from other women when I flat iron my kinky hair--they start looking all up in my scalp, trying to touch my hair, and invading my personal privacy like I am a chia pet. They want to know if my hair is real or fake, so they can make comments about how black women don't ever wear their real hair. It's nothing but jealousy and the need to control us.
When you quote someone you should quote the entire statement or the context is lost. I also stated that I didn't know if that was her choice or the shows choice but you took what you wanted out of it.

Yes I know all about the haters who want to be in your scalp when you wear your hair straight. I'm not one of them. I am over that B.S. Also plenty of people are fascinated with my natural hair...people of all races like to touch my hair. Guess what? This is my body and I don't feel compelled to let them. I twist my neck and tell them hands off I don't like people touching my hair and yes I know it's super thick thanks for noticing.

When you grow up and acquire some self-esteem you will be able to recognize the garbage...rise above it...and not let it stop you from being happy. You know the you got one life to live thing? You can spend it worrying about azzholes who don't know you or you can get on with it. Yes, we are discriminated against but that's not the end of the story. Look at all the black women who make it in life despite it all? That's my message to you and all the colored girls who need to work on their self-esteem. As far as being smart alecky ...yep I sure am and don't give two ****s about how anyone feels about my attitude. I'm just as entitled to breath free air and be myself as anyone else on this planet.

Last edited by Jasper03; 09-12-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I love Rutina Wesley but that is not her hair and we have never seen her real hair.
Yeah, but that's Hollywood. You have to fit a look in the director's eye. All you have to do is look at Sean Connery -- a handsome man who is proudly bald.... and look at how many movies he's worn a hairpiece in. Heck -- in the "Hunt for Red October" that thing looked like a gray squirrel attached to his head.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yeah, but that's Hollywood. You have to fit a look in the director's eye. All you have to do is look at Sean Connery -- a handsome man who is proudly bald.... and look at how many movies he's worn a hairpiece in. Heck -- in the "Hunt for Red October" that thing looked like a gray squirrel attached to his head.
Yes and it seems like it holds true in real life as well. You go for a job that is based on appearance and they want you to look a certain way.

The op works in the service industry and they want people who fit a Caucasian standard of beauty. She weaves her hair and gets plastic surgery to fit that ideal and people call her self-hating.

If she took out her weave and applied with an Afro...twists...or locs would they have hired her? So how can she be self hating and fake when she has no choice if she wants to work in that industry? Same for Rutina...she has to fit the director's vision....she can do it or not have the job. Sometimes it's not self hate it's wanting to be employed.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,454 times
Quote:
you really are a troll. but there are ignorant people out there who think black women don't have the right to wear their hair straight because they are jealous/insecure of the competition. kinky hair can be straightened, curled, crimpled, braided, etc. its a very versatile hair texture.

let me guess... you're black? If you want to look ghetto, nobody is going to stop you.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
let me guess... you're black? If you want to look ghetto, nobody is going to stop you.
you are just soooo jealous of black women. you can't even hide your hate

Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,454 times
Quote:
you are just soooo jealous of black women. you can't even hide your hate

yeah, I always wanted a big ass and shiny thunder thighs with a big obnoxious mouth to match... oh how I feel cheated in life.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
yeah, I always wanted a big ass and shiny thunder thighs with a big obnoxious mouth to match... oh how I feel cheated in life.
Yes this is how all black women look and act in your racist fantasy land. Guess you need someone to try and feel superior to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care