U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM

15,812 posts, read 15,513,529 times
Default Most Gentle At Home Hair Dye??

I have been coloring, well covering the gray, my hair for years. As I am getting older my hair is thinning and I lose a lot when I color it.

What is the most gentle over the counter hair coloring product? And should I switch from a permanent to a semi permanent color?

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,224,811 times
I noticed some thinning too when I colored (I used Bigen). So I switched to henna. But for at-home color, have you tried Wella demi-permanent? I think it was called Color Charm, but I am not sure. You can buy a tube of the color and the developer at a local beauty supply store. Wella worked fine, it just didn't cover my grays as much as I wanted.

Demi-permanent works better than semi, and it is supposed to be more gentle than permanent. If I were to go back to "box dyes," I would return to demi-permanent.

There is this stuff that you can buy that is supposed to boost the color's gray coverage. It's a packet, as I recall, that you mix into the semi-permanent or demi-permanent color. You may want to research that.

Finally, I used to use Color Change shampoo by Diety America. It basically colored the hair black after the shampoo, and it lasts a couple weeks, or until the next shampoo. However, I notice a little breakage with that. It has worked for others however, so you may want to do a strand test first. You can order it on Amazon.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 AM

2,393 posts, read 6,655,308 times
I only use a semi-permanent color....doesn't seem to harm my hair...in fact, it tends to give it alot of shine!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,374,262 times
when my hair was brittle and breaking from heat and highlights I used only semi-permanent dyes to nurse it back to health. I liked natural instincts. If you're hair is dry/damaged/pourous enough it will almost work like a permanent dye because dry hair soaks up the dye more than non-dry hair.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,031,679 times
Another vote for Clairol, Natural Instincts. It's been ages since I colored my hair so I'm not sure if they still make it. It didn't smell as bad and didn't get as hot on my head as some others. They promote it as being more gentle.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM

15,812 posts, read 15,513,529 times
Thank you everyone. I got a non permanent color that I will try next month. I probably won't go back to permanents.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:50 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,766,837 times
Make sure you do your strand test, especially on some grey hairs to make sure that you get the results that you expect.

What product did you choose? What is your pigmented shade and percentage of grey?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,374,262 times
If semi-permanents don't work for you (if it fades from grays too soon), my aunt who has had cancer/chemo but now has her hair back uses a permanent dye. She has been using the same one forever, I believe it's loreal preference and it covers her grays and whites which are the majority of her hair now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care