Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:32 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

I think it is a matter of finding the right hairdresser. I have been using the same hair salon for several years and usually my hair is cut the way I want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
It would be interesting to hear from some hair stylists here, to get their POV.

I know this scenario happens not infrequently: client brings in a picture of a hairstyle, stylist explains why it won't work for her particular hair-type, client demands it anyway then gets pissed when it looks crappy.

A stylist should absolutely listen, though, and try to give the client what they want, when possible, like only cutting the desired amount, etc

Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 AM

5 posts, read 8,394 times
Hair adds more beauty to you.Healthy hair will make you to look very beautiful.When i go to my hair dresser they will not listen to us they do what they need.But i don't like this.So from past few months i have started to trim my hair myself it gives me good look and more satisfaction too.As it is our hair i don't want any hair dresser suggestion because i want my own style.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsbabytime View Post
Hair adds more beauty to you.Healthy hair will make you to look very beautiful.When i go to my hair dresser they will not listen to us they do what they need.But i don't like this.So from past few months i have started to trim my hair myself it gives me good look and more satisfaction too.As it is our hair i don't want any hair dresser suggestion because i want my own style.
Yes. A well trained hair dresser should be able to see your hair wet, how the natural waves go, and give you a cut that conforms to that, taking into consideration cow licks and the like. Today, they seem incapable of this, though, and rely on various products and heat to force the hair into some pattern that it does not like.

We should be able to get simple styles that we can do ourselves with a minimum of fuss.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Here sare some tips for those who have issues with hairdressers not listening. These have been hard won through many bitter struggles, bad hair cuts and long regrowth periods. Hairdressers are often either young and not very experienced, or older and know-it-alls. These are some things I have picked up over the years which can make life easier.

1. ALWAYS take a picture. I learned this the hardest possible way years ago when I asked for a 20s bob and came put with a a layered short do with long, choppy bangs. Just because you think that any stylist worth their salt knows what a 20s bob is doesn't mean they actually have any idea what you are talking about. Take a picture, especially if the person in that picture has hair of a similar texture/color/length etc.

2. Ask for help. Once, I had a color process and I wanted a bright violet red. The dye the colorist used was a coppery orange red. I asked for a manager, and explained my issue (with a picture). The manager fixed it herself and I was very pleased with the result. Salons have a hierarchy system and often there is someone more senior at the top of the chain who can assist if things aren't going well. Be polte and firm, and ask to engage help.

3. Don't go back if someone has attitude. And don't EVER tip if you aren't satisfied.

4. Educate yourself. As mentioned, I love reds with violet tones. I can tell you all the dyes which work for me (brands, etc) and will try salons which carry those products. Hairdressers who have been trained at certain schools will also be more likely to use cutting techniques which work for my hair. Call and ask questions before making an appointment. Some salons are great at this and have a bio of each stylist on their website which makes things easier.

5. Leave or downgrade your appointment after the consult if you aren't comfortable. Most hairdressers will sit you down and go over what you want for a few minutes before beginning your cut. If you feel you aren't communicating well, be ready to say "you know, I think I am going to wait on this. Let's just do a conditioning treatment/blow out." Always go with your gut.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I constantly have the issue that they don't cut it short enough.
I am busy and often have to stretch the time between my appts, thus I do not have an elaborate hairstyle because of it. When I say 2" off, I do not mean 1" off...

Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Here sare some tips for those who have issues with hairdressers not listening. These have been hard won through many bitter struggles, bad hair cuts and long regrowth periods. Hairdressers are often either young and not very experienced, or older and know-it-alls. These are some things I have picked up over the years which can make life easier.

1. ALWAYS take a picture. I learned this the hardest possible way years ago when I asked for a 20s bob and came put with a a layered short do with long, choppy bangs. Just because you think that any stylist worth their salt knows what a 20s bob is doesn't mean they actually have any idea what you are talking about. Take a picture, especially if the person in that picture has hair of a similar texture/color/length etc.

2. Ask for help. Once, I had a color process and I wanted a bright violet red. The dye the colorist used was a coppery orange red. I asked for a manager, and explained my issue (with a picture). The manager fixed it herself and I was very pleased with the result. Salons have a hierarchy system and often there is someone more senior at the top of the chain who can assist if things aren't going well. Be polte and firm, and ask to engage help.

3. Don't go back if someone has attitude. And don't EVER tip if you aren't satisfied.

4. Educate yourself. As mentioned, I love reds with violet tones. I can tell you all the dyes which work for me (brands, etc) and will try salons which carry those products. Hairdressers who have been trained at certain schools will also be more likely to use cutting techniques which work for my hair. Call and ask questions before making an appointment. Some salons are great at this and have a bio of each stylist on their website which makes things easier.

5. Leave or downgrade your appointment after the consult if you aren't comfortable. Most hairdressers will sit you down and go over what you want for a few minutes before beginning your cut. If you feel you aren't communicating well, be ready to say "you know, I think I am going to wait on this. Let's just do a conditioning treatment/blow out." Always go with your gut.
Years back, when I went, every salon would say they were great and had just the person for my hair. I was sometimes very disappointed.

How do you research which salons are using which product? Do you just call a lot of them? I knew salons that said they used a product, like a more expensive specially formualted perm for bleached hair, but they would never show you the actual product in the box/bottle and I was told they used just the regular cheap perm solution, but diluted it with water.

Some of these people really are practiced liars. I get the impression that you are going to more high end places - and I intend to, in the near future. The places that I went to would not even divulge to a customer what brand dye they used and which tints and how much of each they mixed to get a particular shade. They are fearful of women purchasing the products and doing it themselves.

How do you find out which cutting techniques work on your hair? I did not even know there were cutting techniques that work best on one or another type of hair.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Years back, when I went, every salon would say they were great and had just the person for my hair. I was sometimes very disappointed.

How do you research which salons are using which product? Do you just call a lot of them? I knew salons that said they used a product, like a more expensive specially formualted perm for bleached hair, but they would never show you the actual product in the box/bottle and I was told they used just the regular cheap perm solution, but diluted it with water.

Some of these people really are practiced liars. I get the impression that you are going to more high end places - and I intend to, in the near future. The places that I went to would not even divulge to a customer what brand dye they used and which tints and how much of each they mixed to get a particular shade. They are fearful of women purchasing the products and doing it themselves.

How do you find out which cutting techniques work on your hair? I did not even know there were cutting techniques that work best on one or another type of hair.
It sounds like you are going to "mom and pop" salons and not more reputable locations. Don't get me wrong-- there are a lot of talented people out there working for themselves, but if they are trying to trick you into believing they are using different products, that is certainly not a sound business practice.

Salons always try to sell product and most locations will say "we use XX" or have certain types of products prominently displayed. A good salon will let you see the color swatches and type of dyes that they are using. If they don't this is a key to look elsewhere. And yes, call them. Ask them what sorts of perms/colors they use inseatd of "do you use XX?" If they don't know, can't answer or are in any way vague, look elsewhere. I tend to go to moderate to higher end larger salons (I don't pay $300 for a haircut-- don't worry) with established clientele and a variety of stylists. I also think its a good sign if salons have an active and informative website. This makes research easier.

Unfortunately, finding the right cutting techniques comes with trial and error. I have thick but fine hair which means that certain types of cuts will make it look really lank. I need a stylist who knows who to cut for volume. There are some famous hairdressing schools-- Tony and Guy, Bumble and Bumble, Vidal Sasson, Aveda-- that have a certain "look" to their cuts. Do a little research to figure out what you like, and what you think might work. Then find a stylist who has been educated in some of these places. I don't know where you live, but you may need to travel a bit if you are somewhere without a lot of hairdressing options. It may be worth it!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
It sounds like you are going to "mom and pop" salons and not more reputable locations. Don't get me wrong-- there are a lot of talented people out there working for themselves, but if they are trying to trick you into believing they are using different products, that is certainly not a sound business practice.

Salons always try to sell product and most locations will say "we use XX" or have certain types of products prominently displayed. A good salon will let you see the color swatches and type of dyes that they are using. If they don't this is a key to look elsewhere. And yes, call them. Ask them what sorts of perms/colors they use inseatd of "do you use XX?" If they don't know, can't answer or are in any way vague, look elsewhere. I tend to go to moderate to higher end larger salons (I don't pay $300 for a haircut-- don't worry) with established clientele and a variety of stylists. I also think its a good sign if salons have an active and informative website. This makes research easier.

Unfortunately, finding the right cutting techniques comes with trial and error. I have thick but fine hair which means that certain types of cuts will make it look really lank. I need a stylist who knows who to cut for volume. There are some famous hairdressing schools-- Tony and Guy, Bumble and Bumble, Vidal Sasson, Aveda-- that have a certain "look" to their cuts. Do a little research to figure out what you like, and what you think might work. Then find a stylist who has been educated in some of these places. I don't know where you live, but you may need to travel a bit if you are somewhere without a lot of hairdressing options. It may be worth it!
Thank you for your great response.

Yes, I had been going to mom and pop type salons, when I used to go a lifetime ago. As a result I trust hair stylists about as much as I do used car salesmen. I think there may be a lot of us in the same boat, judging from some of the posts on the 'hair' forum.

I wander through the New York/New Jersey areas and although my own meager efforts are fine in Jersey, I'd really like to take a little more effort, but from past experience I expect bs and product pushing, etc.

Your post gives me hope.

That Bumble and Bumble is right around my area in the UES, Manhattan.
Bumble and bumble. | Official Site | Shop Online
Should I go to their own salon? Is it manned by students, do you think?

I, too, have fine hair and I just think if someone could give me a really good cut I'd be happy. So, if you can give a recommendation or two (if you frequent the area), I would make good note of it.

Also, I used to frost my hair and it came out just fine. I liked it because it lightened the overall head and still made less of a debarkation when the roots grew in. I don't care for that chunky colored look that I see today. Do you think any of these places still do frosting? Will they look at me as though I have two heads if I mention it, I wonder?

Is it appropriate to give a tip to the final person who gives you a blow out and ask them to distribute it among the others, if there have been others working on your hair? Fifteen or twenty percent?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvieDV View Post
Years ago I went to get my hair trimmed. I think it was at the middle of my back at that time and it was straight with no layers. I'd been to the salon a few times but never had this stylist before. She asked me if I wanted long layers and I said that was fine by me. She ended up hacking my hair and giving me a short choppy soccer mom do. It probably would have looked nice on somebody else but if I wanted a short, choppy hairstyle I would have asked for one. I self trim now, but have been thinking about going to a place in town that everybody raves about and getting a trim and color. The owner has somewhat long hair so I would hope that if I asked for a trim I wouldn't end up walking out with a pixie cut.
OMG the exact same thing happened to me. My hair was about the length between my waistline and bra band. I asked the stylist for a trim and long layers. She cut my hair so choppy and right below my ears. I was 21 and gorgeous back then and did not say a thing to her. But at my age now if she would have dare done that, TROUBLE would have come her way for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care