Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 AM

75 posts, read 107,412 times

Advertisements

I always chat with the people I am with and shock the various hairdressers who aren't use to it. I live in NYC.

They don't know how to take me and my southern hospitality. I am told that most of their walk in customers stop talking as soon as they tell how to cut their hair. I keep talking and they are shocked.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
You just have to speak faster.

I cut my own these days but I would chit chat periodically in getting cuts but there are THOSE cold salons. Pass em up.
There are friendly NYC salons too. I would ask in the NYC forum about it.

Not there these days so I can't help you.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM

I think the only ones who will talk to me are the stylists who want me as a regular customer. So they are only being friendly because they want something from me. I find most hairdressers in NYC are hard and full of tattoos.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
It depends on the stylist. I have had ones that talk forever asking me about my life. Those are the ones I return to because I build a relationship.

One stylist I loved, but she wasn't much of a talker. Oddly it made me fill uneasy. I stopped going to her for a bit and my hair never looked worse! I decided to suck it up and return. Beauty before gossip!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM

I wonder why they went into a career which involves standing over someone for 30 or more minutes if they don't like talking to people. I find the worst conversationalists work at those budget salons like The Haircuttery or Great Clips. The higher the price the better the conversation. But top hair dressers know if a customer wants conversation or quiet. But I still wonder about the ones who refuse to talk when spoken to by the customer.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I always talk to whoever is styling my hair. It's always nice to be able to have a regular stylist, too, who will have conversations with you. One that remembers you and what you talked about the last time.

In that line of work, I really think one needs to be a 'people person.'

Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
I'm polite and maybe talk about actual things we have in common (her son goes to a college near mine, etc.) but I find the more talented/serious stylists prefer not to be overly distracted so they can cut and color without added distractions.

I try not to get too chatty but always remain polite and approachable

Old 09-21-2012, 04:36 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I agree. I talk somewhat to the stylist. Its weird not to exchange some kind of conversation or pleasantries. I have a regular stylist I have known for a long time and she tells me probably more than I need to know. On the other hand, if I run into great clips to have my bangs trimmed I do chat but not as much. I am only there for a few minutes so its mostly hi and maybe a remark or two about the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care