Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,805 times

Advertisements

I've avoided using heat-styling gadgets on my hair, as I haven't wanted to damage it.

However, I've been reading about the different products on the market - ceramic this and ceramic that - all promising to be easy on the hair. (And some are SUPER expensive. Is it really worth it to spend that much? Does it really help protect hair in the long run?)

For those of you that use curling irons, blow dryers or hot curlers regularly, how much do they dry out or damage your hair?

It's probably easier for people who have styles that get cut regularly. I have very long hair and don't cut it often (because it's pretty healthy). While I want to mix it up a little in terms of styles, I don't want to damage it to the point where I need to start chopping it off.

Also, I've heard of all these styling products that you can put in your hair prior to using heat on it, that are supposed to protect the hair. Do these really help?

Any advice from the experienced out there would be super appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
Short answer, yes.

I bought a less expensive tourmaline ceramic straightener from Sallys and I absolutely love it! At first I didn't understand how a good ceramic straightener really helps to protect hair until I used one and a ceramic curling iron. With my cheap-o flat iron it was taking over 45 mins to flat iron my hair at really high temps... my ceramic iron takes 20 mins tops. Less heat damage from flat ironing too long.

As far as heat protectants working... it really depends on the brand, IMO. I've used some in the past that have made my hair really sticky, which made my hair stick to my flat iron. But I have found two that I love: TRESemme thermal protectant spray and John Frieda Full Repair Heat Activating Styling Spray. Neither leaves my hair sticky and both smell nice.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Curlers won't do anything bad to your hair, they're just not that hot. I use curling irons sometimes, I have a ceramic clipless curling iron and a cheaper metal one...both seem to do fine, the main difference is that the ceramic one only needs ten seconds to make a curl, the metal one needs a bit longer. (oh, and if you don't figure out the little glove the clipless irons can be pretty dangerous)

If your hair is highlighted or bleached and not in great condition, you shouldn't use any kind of thermal styling device on it except maybe once or twice a month for special occasions.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,515 times
My Sedu ceramic tourmaline iron finally broke a few months ago after 6+ years of use, and in the interim I had to use a backup iron, which was a crappy $20 Target model. It fried my hair and I could tell the difference in breakage/split ends from an expensive straightener. Now I have a ceramic tourmaline HSI and it is not quite as nice as my Sedu was but it doesn't fry my hair (The plates on the Sedu were a bit smoother than the HSI for some reason). At less than half the cost of a Sedu it's definitely a much better value and straightens almost as well.

Amazon.com: HSI The Styler Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener, 1 inch: Beauty

Heat protectors do work, but I generally air-dry my hair, so the only thing I use on it is a hair straightener, and not even everyday. I don't find the protectants necessary, but if you are heat styling everyday I would recommend buying one.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I use electric curlers....the kind with the fabric around the heated part.....My hair is NOT damaged!! I've been using them for about 25 years now.....

Same with blow-dryers....makes your hair look much better than just letting it hang there and dry!

I don't use any "protectant" product.....Just regular conditioner when shampooing...and I do NOT shampoo daily, unless I have back-to-back important places to be! I'll wash my hair every 2-3 days, unless I've been doing something really sweaty...yard work or major exercising....

Having healthy hair to start with is the best preventative to damaged hair!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:00 AM

466 posts, read 581,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I've avoided using heat-styling gadgets on my hair, as I haven't wanted to damage it.
However, I've been reading about the different products on the market - ceramic this and ceramic that - all promising to be easy on the hair. (And some are SUPER expensive. Is it really worth it to spend that much? Does it really help protect hair in the long run?)
For those of you that use curling irons, blow dryers or hot curlers regularly, how much do they dry out or damage your hair?
It's probably easier for people who have styles that get cut regularly. I have very long hair and don't cut it often (because it's pretty healthy). While I want to mix it up a little in terms of styles, I don't want to damage it to the point where I need to start chopping it off.
Also, I've heard of all these styling products that you can put in your hair prior to using heat on it, that are supposed to protect the hair. Do these really help?
Something for you to read Ionic Vs. Ceramic Hair Dryer | eHow

I have short very straight coarse white/grey/black Asian hair. It used to be brittle, have split ends and no shine but this was due to post op radiotherapy in October 2013. Since then I have brought my hair back by using Pro Naturals Hair Repair System (recommended by my hairdresser) and which I continue to use following their regime of one week in every six weeks and investing in 2 excellent hair tools.

I search through patents as a freelancer and so when I wanted to purchase a new styling iron and hair dryer I did a great deal of desk research and this led me to list the following to use as a check list.

I eventually chose to purchase my Karmin G3 Salon Pro hair styling iron:

• That the plates were 100% tourmaline ceramic plates.
• If the plates were colored e.g. red, blue, gold, it has been treated, these may look nice but they are or show and they are not good for your hair, so stay away from them.
• Look for a plate that is ceramic or metal in looks.
• Ceramic Plates are usually white or yellowish in color. These plates are good but they are older technology from around 2002. Many companies still use these as it is cheaper to manufacture than a tourmaline ceramic plate. Be careful some use an aluminum plate with ceramic coating, if you buy ceramic make sure it is 100% pure ceramic.
• Titanium Plates – Usually Gun Metal Grey color – these are great plates and provide great results. Similar in quality to Tourmaline Ceramic but work differently with different hair types. Ask your hairdresser to type your hair before choosing.
• Tourmaline Ceramic – Gun Metal Grey in color – These are currently the best plates on the market.

Other features to look for:
• Variable Temperature Control (If you have thick hair make sure it heats up to at least 420ºF)
• Swivel Cord
• At least a 3 year warranty (most hair straighteners will die in the first year or two)
• If you travel then make sure it has dual voltage
• Floating plates, you can check this by asking the supplier or if you have access to the styling iron by pressing on either side of the plate and it should move. All salon professional irons will have this.
• Auto shut off, the last thing you want is to start a fire or cause damage to your home or salon because you left the iron on, make sure it has a safety auto shut off feature.
• Make sure it has a 3meter or 10 foot cord, anything shorter will be hard to work with.

I have a Karmin Salon Series Ultralight Professional Ionic Hair Dryer

Reasons why:
1. It is used by professionals and also people like me
2. The ceramic heating unit provides the benefits of heating evenly and not getting too hot
3. The electronic ion generator when switched to green = negative ions = hair drying faster and when switched to blue = positive ions = increases shine and if you finish off using the cool shot button it will help eliminate frizz and flyaways.
4. It has a cool shot button you need to hold and press, it is for a shot of cold air when you need it, this is used by many professionals when drying hair.
5. If you want constant cold air, the hair dryer also has a cold feature so you can turn the hair dryer on with cold air, warm air and hot air.
6. It comes with a diffuser attachment for people with curly and wavy hair.
7. It comes with dual voltage so you can use it worldwide.
8. It only weighs approx 12ozs
9. 90 day money back guarantee
10. 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
11. I also get a nice warm feeling when I know that 5% of all Salon Pro sales go to help children in need.

So yes, it is worth the extra $s for quality

Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
I blow dry and use a flat iron every single day. I've used non-ceramic straighteners and ceramic and I can tell the difference. I use a heat protecting cream and it would always stick to my non-ceramic straightener or smell like burning hair (Even though I had it below the 'hot' temp). Never had that problem with my ceramic straightener.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:23 AM

8 posts, read 6,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post

It does, but I use ionic , it less damages our hair. I also try to buy good quality products, such as ceramic flat iron and natural shampoos and conditioners. But for me, heat hair protection plays a great role, cause it saves our ends, so they stay healthier in a long-term run. I also use this protection with my ceramic straightener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care