U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM

700 posts, read 343,732 times
Default Cheaper vs. more expensive shampoo

Do you think there is a huge difference? Do you have a certain type of hair where you think it is necessary to buy a more expensive shampoo. I usually use cheaper shampoo, but am thinking at least for winter of switching to a gentler, perhaps higher priced shampoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 AM

1,602 posts, read 800,555 times
What I've been told by a hair stylist is that (lest you take sulfates and parabens into account, naturally) the quality of the shampoo matters much less than the quality of the conditioner. He said that, of course you want to stick with a shampoo that will work with your conditioner (if you have a moisturizing conditioner, get a moisturizing shampoo - for example), but in general, they all do the same thing and you end up paying for the name/packaging.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,118,842 times
The biggest difference I've found is in sulfate free vs. non sulfate free shampoo. The cheapest way I've found to purchase sulfate free shampoo is to look for salon shampoo on sale at TJmaxx or Marshalls. I'll pick up a matching conditioner as well. It's usually $9-10 for a big (32oz maybe) bottle.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM

16,542 posts, read 19,145,661 times
I do really think the cheaper shampoos and conditioners are lacking. I get poor results with some of them, however, this doesn't mean there aren't cheaper ones that my hair/scalp would be fine with. I find that my hair does not stay bouncy and clean for as long with cheap stuff.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM

9,717 posts, read 6,537,967 times
I agree gentlearts, I watched someone on tv one time that was a famous haircutter, and stylist, he said that the quality or price of your shampoo was of no real importance, he said it was the conditioner that matters, and he recommended conditioners that are clear as being the ones best for our hair.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM

3,304 posts, read 3,491,963 times
cheaper is way more drying. Ever see a woman with short yet fried looking hair? She probably shampoos everyday with suave and blow drys it.

Even just a step up at sally's beauty supply. They have plenty of $6-$10 bottles of good stuff that will be just as effective as a $30 bottle of Aveda.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,132,089 times
I've had some pretty yucky expensive shampoos before.

Based on my experience with dry, chemically/heat damaged hair... clear shampoos are not as great as creamy, conditioners are what you should invest in, always use some sort of heat protectant when blow drying, flat ironing, or curling, and hair lotions are good for 'lazy hair days'.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,316,919 times
I have been told that one difference is that the salon products are more concentrated while the store products are watered down, meaning you use less of the salon products each time. But then, I heard that from stylists, and I wonder if they get a commission from selling their products. It's so hard to know.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM

1,924 posts, read 4,289,347 times
Nope--price doesn't matter at all for my hair. I have found it far more important to use the correct products for my hair type and to avoid things that damage my hair to begin with (drying products, frequent washings, blow-drying, etc).

Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM

8,253 posts, read 7,830,126 times
I've tried every type of shampoo and the cheap ones work about the same (at least for me)
I always use conditioner, however. I sometimes spray on a leave-in conditioner. I used to wash my hair every single day. Now I wash it every 3rd day. I think daily washing is too drying and, for most people, unnecessary. I realize so much depends on your individual hair condition, i.e., if it has been chemically treated, permed and how often you cut it. A hair cut always brings life back to my limp hair, even a trim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care