Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times

Advertisements

I wash my hair daily, it gets very greasy if I don't wash it plus its short so wont style unless its been washed.

Last edited by Jan Alaska; 03-19-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
I wash mine around 2 times per week. Unless you want to lose your hair, don't wash it everyday!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
I've always had very frizzy, brittle, dry hair my whole life.

My hairdresser said to try to wash it once a week (it's shoulder length). Once I got over the initial "funk" where I felt like my hair was dirty, my hair has never been healthier. It does not stink and is not oily and is very soft. (I've asked people for honest opinion)

My daughter has very long oily hair, if she does not wash it at least 3 times a week it smells really bad. I think it depends on the person.
this is interesting

i think my hair looks very good the longest it hasnt been washed. I wish i could just go ahead and wash it 1 or 2 per week, but im afraid it will stink . To be honest, one time i spent 4 days without wahing it, i ask my boyfriend if it was noticeable and if it smelled bad and he said no, it smelled good and looked awesome! The shampoo smell tends to last in my hair a lot. So maybe i should just try not to wash it so much? I washed it yesterday and lost tons of hair. Maybe i should wait till friday/saturday to wash it again. Its like a cultural thing, when i think "o, i havent wash my hair in 2 days" i automatically feel the need to wash it. But maybe i should overcame that cause its whats best for my hair.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I have thick, coarse, dryish hair. I wash it once every five days or so. If I wash it more often, it gets VERY dry and damaged looking.

I also use argon oil in my hair after I wash it and let it dry naturally - then I use a flat iron or large curling iron to smooth it and it stays that way for five days or so. I don't sweat much at all, and I don't have oily hair, so it works for me. Thank goodness because my hair is so thick that even allowing it to air dry takes about four hours. Blow drying it turns it into a hot mess of huge hair!

My hair doesn't even feel dirty after five days - and it doesn't look dirty either. I just want it to smell fresh. I swear I think I could go for two weeks without washing it and it would never look oily.

But I don't put hairspray or other stuff in it after I smooth it down the first day with the flat iron. Wait, I do use a little Bedhead Mac Daddy Manipulator (a very small amount) right after I smooth it but then I put nothing in it at all till I wash it again five days later.

Come to think of it, my hair is very low maintenance!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
I think it has a lot to do with how oily your scalp/hair is. I don't have oily hair and only wash my hair 1-2 a week. If I washed my hair more than that on a regular basis it would become extremely dry and brittle. If your hair is breaking and you think it is because you shampoo too often then cut back on the washings. Please stop damaging your hair.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 PM

175 posts, read 279,516 times
I know it's trendy to only wash your hair twice a week or so..but I wash mine daily. I work in a hospital, and I can't imagine placing my head on pillow without giving my hair a good washing . Also, I live in NYC and take public transportation, and some of the fellow passengers' hygiene and coughing courtesy leave much to be desired.

But I mainly like to wash my hair at night for relaxation purposes..it just feels so good. I love to listen to meditation and self-help podcasts as I'm taking a hot shower and cleansing my body, hair and the stressors of the day. It is the perfect bridge to sleep.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
I have curly hair and shampoo 1-2 a week with sulfate-free shampoo.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I have long (midback length), thick hair, and I can go 3 days without washing before my scalp gets oily. In the summer, when I sweat more, it's more like two days. If I wash my hair every day, my hair and scalp get very dry.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I shampoo twice a week as that is how many times my hair needs shampooing; however, I'm a recent proponent of no-poo and shampoo with a paste of baking soda and water, rinse with water, then with vinegar/water. Cleansing my hair is not blissful. It is a task I have to do, so, I do it.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Depends on the person. People who suffer from dander need to wash it everyday or else oily hair will make it worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care