Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times

Advertisements

Olaplex. Took a long time for it to come out and its a miracle. cant believe no one has mentioned it , or I missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
I also stopped using sulfate shampoos. Made a difference for my curly/frizzy/thick/dry hair

Old 07-29-2015, 01:09 PM

8 posts, read 10,564 times
I have hair breakages all over my head because of wearing tight ponytails. If I wear it loose, my hair grows back. No tight hairstyles for me!

Old 08-08-2015, 11:23 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Last week I rented a guest house and, when I washed my hair, it was so manageable. I used the same cheap shampoo and conditioner. I thought it was a fluke. 3 days later, I washed it again and it was silky, full and looked as if I just had it professionally styled. The owner told me she had a water conditioner in the home. So I guess those TV ads are true and a good water conditioner can really make a difference in the way you look.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Hair got matted up from sweating, which resulting in losing a good bit in the back. Started using coconut oil and other products, keeping heat off of it-straightening really thinned it out. And for the most part now, I keep it in a braided bun so it doesn't tangle when I lay down, and it stay off of my neck which cuts off the sweating and matting.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:58 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Stopped wasting money at the hair salon and began cutting it myself. I realize that my hair is extremely difficult to cut and style because it is very fine, and can't emphasize 'very fine' enough.

Also the way my hair grows. . . the nape area is in a v-shape, and in order to have a neat looking nape area the stylist has quite a job on their hands. (Since my hair is fine, wearing it longer doesn't work.) And with fine hair, stylists consistently ended up leaving cut lines, looked terrible.

So I bought hair styling tools, scissors/razor, and take my time and carefully cut my hair (and receive numerous compliments; when cut at a salon, no compliments).

I buy a hi-lighting kit and do it myself, again numerous compliments. Any time I had it hi-lighted at a salon it turned out orange or bright yellow!

So why would I pay out money to have someone ruin my hair?

BTW: have been to chop shops that actually did a better job than so-called master stylists that charge over $50 for just the cut alone.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

So why would I pay out money to have someone ruin my hair?
Exactly my feelings!

In Feb of 2014 I got the haircut from hell (and posted about it on City-Data) The manager of the salon tried to fix the damage but, like a dog with matted fur, even a puppy cut would have looked better. That week there was a show about the U.S. Paralympic Hockey Team which pulled me right out of self-pity mode. However, ever since that traumatic day, I've been cutting my own hair. I wear it in an inverted bob, but I have a lot of trouble shaping the back. I need to get a hands-free mirror.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:18 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Exactly my feelings!

In Feb of 2014 I got the haircut from hell (and posted about it on City-Data) The manager of the salon tried to fix the damage but, like a dog with matted fur, even a puppy cut would have looked better. That week there was a show about the U.S. Paralympic Hockey Team which pulled me right out of self-pity mode. However, ever since that traumatic day, I've been cutting my own hair. I wear it in an inverted bob, but I have a lot of trouble shaping the back. I need to get a hands-free mirror.
Yep! Too bad we can't remove our head and set it on the counter to cut our hair. LOL

Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 PM

388 posts, read 474,086 times
I love Matrix products - esp Biolage. You can find great prices on Amazon.

My stylist told me how to condition:
After shampoo, dry hair with a hand towel.
Work in lots of conditioner then work it and work it to distribute and penetrate the hair shaft.
Finish shower.
Rinse.

Longer condition time: wash hair in sink and let conditioner set 15 min then finish shower and rinse out conditioner.

Hair much softer. I try the longer condition time around once a week.

When frizzies get me during the humid season, I work in a bit of Cowboy Magic right after shampoo/condition. Get it at horse feed & tack stores. Very similar to the John Friess (sp?) silicone stuff but hugely cheaper.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
I have fine, very straight but thick hair.

Simple things that helped the most.

Don't wash it every day. Every 2-3 days is plenty. More often if exercising. Not washing it every day means not blow drying it every day. Also good for hair.

Don't use a lot of products. Now I just wash it with a decent (not pricey) shampoo. When I get out of the shower, use an "all in one" light spray in conditioner/detangler etc... That's it. No gels/mousse/hairsprays etc..

If I need a little bit of texture on a hairwash day, just a touch of baby powder at the roots. Rarely I'll use a little bit of dry shampoo.

Less is more for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care