Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times

Advertisements

My hair is wavy and a little frizzy especially when it's humid.The first day I wash it it is puffy and kind of wild, day 2 it's looking better, day three it's great but by day 4 it's time to wash it again. I can't imagine washing my type hair every day. I do shower every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
I shampoo/condition my hair three times a week. My hair is super curly (ringlets), and I find that the first day I wash it, it looks great. The second day it looks OK. The third day it's frizzy. (I always shower at night, and in the morning, patting some water onto the curls helps them to not be frizzy, but after a few days, nothing really helps.)

However, if I do anything that creates beads of sweat in my scalp, then I'll shampoo/condition that night, regardless of when I last washed my hair. I don't want dried sweat hanging out.

EDIT: I know people who don't wash their hair for weeks. Seriously. They use lots of dry shampoo. They love big volume hair, and the dry shampoo gets around their roots and lifts them up, so their hair gets bigger and bigger the further from a wash that they get.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
I wash my hair (shampoo/conditioner) twice a week, unless I've done something that calls for more frequent washing (i.e., had a special occasion and used a LOT of hair product, gotten very sweaty, etc.)

The remainder of the week, I either rinse my hair using just plain water in the shower, or use dry shampoo.

My hair tends to be a bit dry, I color process it, and I live in a fairly dry climate. I'm sure if I lived somewhere humid, I'd feel differently.

When I first learned that most of us over wash our hair and started reducing my shampoo frequency, I did go through a kinda gross/grungy period for a week or two while my scalp adjusted. It wasn't the prettiest, but it didn't last long, and I think the results were worth it.

I've also found that proper brushing, with a good, boars hair brush, helps tremendously - distributes the oils and all that. I also will use dry shampoo before bedtime, to help absorb any oil on my scalp before bed. It's heat, I wake up without having such horrid bedhead.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I shampoo/condition my hair three times a week. My hair is super curly (ringlets), and I find that the first day I wash it, it looks great. The second day it looks OK. The third day it's frizzy. (I always shower at night, and in the morning, patting some water onto the curls helps them to not be frizzy, but after a few days, nothing really helps.)

However, if I do anything that creates beads of sweat in my scalp, then I'll shampoo/condition that night, regardless of when I last washed my hair. I don't want dried sweat hanging out.

EDIT: I know people who don't wash their hair for weeks. Seriously. They use lots of dry shampoo. They love big volume hair, and the dry shampoo gets around their roots and lifts them up, so their hair gets bigger and bigger the further from a wash that they get.
You're lucky to have nice looking hair the first day, most curlies who use shampoo have better 2nd day hair.

As to the frizz on the 3rd or later days it's explained by the fact that as dust begins to accumulate on the hair it makes the cuticle raise up. In the "no shampoo" system one can rinse the hair every day if needed or desired and then reapply conditioner, what is not done is a "full" wash (scrubbing the scalp with conditioner), that one is recommended usually once a week only or even less depending on the person, in between water scrubbing works for curlies with dry scalp.

Perspiration will make the hair not only funky but stringy, so it's sensible to wash after heavy exercise or after being out for long during a hot summer day.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I wash my hair (shampoo/conditioner) twice a week, unless I've done something that calls for more frequent washing (i.e., had a special occasion and used a LOT of hair product, gotten very sweaty, etc.)

The remainder of the week, I either rinse my hair using just plain water in the shower, or use dry shampoo.

My hair tends to be a bit dry, I color process it, and I live in a fairly dry climate. I'm sure if I lived somewhere humid, I'd feel differently.

When I first learned that most of us over wash our hair and started reducing my shampoo frequency, I did go through a kinda gross/grungy period for a week or two while my scalp adjusted. It wasn't the prettiest, but it didn't last long, and I think the results were worth it.

I've also found that proper brushing, with a good, boars hair brush, helps tremendously - distributes the oils and all that. I also will use dry shampoo before bedtime, to help absorb any oil on my scalp before bed. It's heat, I wake up without having such horrid bedhead.
Before I totally embraced the "Curly Girl" routine mine was very similar to yours, except that I reapplied conditioner after rinsing my hair on no shampoo days.

I was lucky to not go through a grungy period, it's like I immediately jumped to beautiful healthy-looking hair, but if more people realized it's exactly as you said, an adjustment period, they wouldn't be so afraid to skip one day between shampoos.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,501 times
I water rinse every couple days and rosemary (sometimes mint) rinse once a week. Rosemary has anti-fungal and astringent properties and works for me. I don't use traditional shampoo (e.g. sulfates) more than two or three times a year, when traveling and nothing else is available.

I think curly hair types fare much better washing less often. With straight hair, sebum slides right down the shaft and looks oily quickly.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
My hair is short and gets oily fast. I shampoo every evening, put on some gel and a few curlers on top.
If I skip a day it looks greasy and flat. I try to shampoo every night even if I don't feel well because it
helps me feel a little better if it's clean.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM

136 posts, read 237,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
My hair is short and gets oily fast. I shampoo every evening, put on some gel and a few curlers on top.
If I skip a day it looks greasy and flat. I try to shampoo every night even if I don't feel well because it
helps me feel a little better if it's clean.
Note: if you have an oily scalp, just use conditioner on your ends. You can also cut down on the washing by using a dry shampoo on your scalp in between to soak up excess oils. A witch hazel rinse helps balance your hair's ph which can help with the excess oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care