U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM

15,593 posts, read 32,041,039 times

Advertisements

Hoping for some advice here. I am now in my 60s, and my hair has a fair amount of gray, although it overall looks "faded" with some light streaks around my face and silver sprinkles over the rest. My original hair color is/was chestnut brown, and for years I colored it a very dark burgundy brown, which at the time was very flattering. I stopped doing this about 6 years or so ago, due to the maintenance plus concerns about all the toxins of dark coloring that I had been putting into my hair for decades.

Well, after seeing what it looks like grown out I am not happy. I was hoping for a nice all-over silver color, but it's just not that. The color looks mousy and very aging and I want to do something with it, but I don't want to go dark. I had a minor disaster a couple years ago when I experimented with henna and ended up with "clown-copper" color which I still have on the ends, although much subdued now.

I am considering getting some platinum "chunks" or streaks at the front and over the top of my hair, and wondering if anyone has done this and if they are happy. Or also wondering what anyone else here in my situation has done. I was thinking the streaks would be a good way to go because I would only be processing a fraction of my hair, and can go for months while it grows out before retouching. I would most definitely be having this professionally done.

So what do you all think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM

38 posts, read 60,553 times
Anyone? I am interested in this too!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM

4,159 posts, read 5,019,069 times
I've seen it done, not done it myself, and I haven't ever thought it was flattering to the women who have had it done; to me, it just looked like a different shade of mousy and made them look more washed out than before. I would suggest an all-over medium/light warm brown to light blond and let the light streaks act as highlights. If you don't want to commit, get a demi-permanent color that you can wash out if it doesn't suit you for the first run. If you do like it, then you can go with a semi or fully permanent color after that.

But, also consult with a good colorist at a salon before you do anything. They can tell you what is a realistic result and suggest colors that flatter your skin tone. You can also try on wigs and when you find a color you like, you can buy a hair color swatch from the wig shop and take that to your colorist.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,060,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hoping for some advice here. I am now in my 60s, and my hair has a fair amount of gray, although it overall looks "faded" with some light streaks around my face and silver sprinkles over the rest. My original hair color is/was chestnut brown, and for years I colored it a very dark burgundy brown, which at the time was very flattering. I stopped doing this about 6 years or so ago, due to the maintenance plus concerns about all the toxins of dark coloring that I had been putting into my hair for decades.

Well, after seeing what it looks like grown out I am not happy. I was hoping for a nice all-over silver color, but it's just not that. The color looks mousy and very aging and I want to do something with it, but I don't want to go dark. I had a minor disaster a couple years ago when I experimented with henna and ended up with "clown-copper" color which I still have on the ends, although much subdued now.

I am considering getting some platinum "chunks" or streaks at the front and over the top of my hair, and wondering if anyone has done this and if they are happy. Or also wondering what anyone else here in my situation has done. I was thinking the streaks would be a good way to go because I would only be processing a fraction of my hair, and can go for months while it grows out before retouching. I would most definitely be having this professionally done.

So what do you all think?
You answered your own question and I agree. Nothing looks more attractive on a mature woman than a platinum silver hair color. On some fortunate ladies platinum silver hair is just.........HOT!!

Give it a try..........

Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM

301 posts, read 652,714 times
Weezycom is absolutely right! Must rep for that!

Only other thing I can add is henna doesn't have to end up "clown copper" - properly done with addition of amla or indigo it can be various shades of warm browns. I've been henna'ing mostly gray hair for over a year and am very pleased with my results. Check out The Henna Page - The most complete henna information resource! for tips.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,610,140 times
Some women look fabulous with silver hair, but most do not. I would talk to a very good colorist and get some ideas. It has been many years since I used henna, but it was never coppery and I really think as we get older that henna is not the best option. Why not color in your natural color with either highlights or lowlights in a complementary color. Your largest expense will be with the highlights, but that only has to be done twice a year. The rest of the time you can do an all-over color, and even do it at home.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions - it gives me a lot to think about, and I am still thinking. I am really afraid to commit to anything for fear I will hate it. It's tricky now that I'm older, finding the most flattering shade. Also, I don't want too much upkeep, that's why I was thinking about highlights.

At this point I am thinking maybe I will try a few highlights, and if I hate it, I could always go over it with some color. We'll see if I get brave or desperate enough!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,610,140 times
You will love highlights. They just brighten your face and make you look better, which gives you extra confidence since you look great. Go for it! Just make sure that you use someone who is a very good colorist. If you are trying a new salon, let them know your concerns and they should find a good stylist/colorist who is a good match for you.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Default UPDATE: I colored my hair - happy!!!!

Well, I got up some courage, and decided to take "weezycom's" advice and use a demi color. Wasn't sure what to get, but ended up with L'Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss. WOW - this stuff is GREAT! I was scared, remembering how I used to hate the strong smells of even the most mild one I used to use (Natural Instincts). Plus the mess it used to make. This stuff has the lightests of smells, so gentle absolutely NO burning, stinging, itching or anything of the kind. NO MESS, and it took only 15 minutes total!!! I chose what I thought would be the closest thing to my original natural color, "5G Medium Golden Brown Truffle" and it's PERFECT! The gray of course look like golden highlights and I may have to do it whole head again in a week or so just for better coverage, but for now I am thrilled. It even blended in the annoying henna-copper ends! It was exactly what I needed, my hair looks great and I feel like I look 10 years younger!

So if anyone else doesn't know that to do or is on the fence, I whole-heartedly recommend trying this product!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,060,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions - it gives me a lot to think about, and I am still thinking. I am really afraid to commit to anything for fear I will hate it. It's tricky now that I'm older, finding the most flattering shade. Also, I don't want too much upkeep, that's why I was thinking about highlights.

At this point I am thinking maybe I will try a few highlights, and if I hate it, I could always go over it with some color. We'll see if I get brave or desperate enough!
As Winston Churchill once said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". He was right. Find a nice shade of silver hair color and go for it. With the proper style ,and your positive attitude, you'll look like a hot fox that will drive the older guys crazy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or