Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I'm 50. I don't believe that every woman has to cut her hair into the short "mom" cut just because she's over 40. That can be just as aging as too-long hair. Mid length, or slightly longer and beautifully colored and cut in a trendy style is fine.

That being said, I think a lot of women in my age bracket are kidding themselves that having really long hair makes them look younger. It doesn't. It's actually kind of an emphasizer of age, in my opinion. As another poster said, the age of the face is in contrast to the hair. It can even look a little "spooky". And if you're in the working world, super long hair just doesn't look professional.

Just yesterday I saw a lady at least 50 or older with dyed dark hair down to her waist, parted in the middle, with those "wings" from the early 1970's on each side. I am sure she thinks by keeping her hair the same as it was when we were in junior high school means she hasn't aged. I'm sure her husband just "loves" it. I think women who cling to their long-ago teenaged hair style look outdated and sad. It's kind of like the women who dress like their teenaged daughters. Leave the "tight and sexy" look to the young ones. Our time for that, sigh, has passed. After 45 you need to aim for classic, polished, and classy.
Yes, that lady is an example of how not to wear your hair.But, I see older
ladies with long gray hair in a lovely bun or chignon and I think,MUCH better than mid length dyed,and styled. JMO. Its all in what appeals to YOUR eye.

Greenchili
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
some look really good, long short or hardly any.
but like guys over the hill with gold chains and shades you need to know when
its time to express modesty.
age appropriate behavior is beautiful.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:46 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
My Grandmother wore her long, gray hair in a bun from about 40 years of age on. She was a sweet women and I loved her very much. However, her hair made her look at least 10 years older than she really was. It was a matter of her just being a plain person, and not wanting to put much effort into how she looked. Probably depends on your lifestyle. My Grandmother was a farmer's wife, so it didn't really matter.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
[quote=montanamom;21172990]My Grandmother wore her long, gray hair in a bun from about 40 years of age on. She was a sweet women and I loved her very much. However, her hair made her look at least 10 years older than she really was. It was a matter of her just being a plain person, and not wanting to put much effort into how she looked. Probably depends on your lifestyle. My Grandmother was a farmer's wife, so it didn't really matter.[/QUOT

Yeah,that was her choice not to wear makeup.Most farmers wives probably dont get into makeup,like they would have the time...? Im sure she was a lovely lady! I have long silvery blonde
hair and wear it up most days,but sometimes I wear it down and get compliments,and yes, there are some who dont care for it,but oh well,
doesnt bother me. I like it,hubs likes it,and its in good condition,so Im
keepin it! And Im 52!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
IMO; as long as you have healthy and well-maintained hair; long is ok at any age!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
If you like short hair- wear short hair. If you like long hair- wear long hair. It shouldn't matter what other people think. Life is too short to worry about what other people think.

-Cheers.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Ok, I hate to do this to her, but to me Hillary Clinton looks like the 'average' woman her age. She has a bit more weight than she probably should, her hips are broader than her top, she does not appear to have had any facial work done and her hair is thinning.

She probably does not give a flying ---- what anyone thinks of her appearance. She is a hard working woman and what goes on in her head is certainly more important than looking pretty.

I think some of her fashion advisors have not designed for her properly. I think her hair, she let it grow a bit, looks dry and stringy. It would be much easier for her to keep were it shorter.

I like her. A lot. I am sorry that I was so stupid as to vote for Obama. Big mistake, in my opinion, so please don't be angry that I use her as an example.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Their cougars on the prowl

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times
Speaking of long hair and well, er, a, older people.. I'm going to just say one word and each of you can have at it: FABIO

Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I think long hair on women looks good until they're 44 and a half...and then it looks horrible, and then once they turn 45, it looks good again. But then they have to chop it off when they're 52. And then they can grow it again no less than four months after their 52nd birthday.

After that, they're so old they'd need their nurse to cut it for them so it doesn't matter anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care