Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:47 PM

199 posts, read 712,492 times

Advertisements

I agree, OMG, I am almost 60 years old and gasp wear my hair just past my shoulders. I am fit, not overweight, active, and color my hair red with gold highlights. I love my hair and while it is in layers to frame my face, I will probably die a redhead with the length I have now. I have had short hair and hated it. Long for me, and it is no one's business how I wear my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 06:22 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
LOL I was looking for something else on CD and this thread caught my eye. Since I spent a couple of hours last night looking at longer hair doo's on the internet trying to decide if I should cut my hair. I am 59 with silver hair longer than the center of my back and straight if I do not curl it. Suddenly I was tired of the fight. The scissors won out. I had my hair all one length. Finally grown out from layers for years. Took about four years to get it all even. But I hated it. I cut about 4 inches off the bottom over all then long layers to remove the weight and let it curl easier and stay curled longer. I still have the longer look but it looks fuller and I am loving my curls back. I will still be able to do the pony tail to get my hair out of the way when I am working or as needed.

I had short hair when I was a kid and also hated it as some others have said. Some people just do not feel good in short hair. I do not want to die my hair. I have skin issues and afraid of the chemicals. I REALLY would like to just afraid too. Same with perms. No more for me. Sigh it was so much easier. This thread was a fun read.

Chris

Old 12-25-2008, 06:36 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
right on sista girl!! I pay no heed to anyone else's opinion. You know what you like, what looks best on you. The hell with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
I agree, OMG, I am almost 60 years old and gasp wear my hair just past my shoulders. I am fit, not overweight, active, and color my hair red with gold highlights. I love my hair and while it is in layers to frame my face, I will probably die a redhead with the length I have now. I have had short hair and hated it. Long for me, and it is no one's business how I wear my hair.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:16 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
For the last 20 years I have worn my hair in an A line cut. Long on the sides and tapered shorter to the back with an under cut in the back for fullness.My sides are just below the shoulder and the back just above the shoulders. It is so easy to care for and even if it is windy out side your hair falls right back into place. BTW i am 63. I have tried short hair off and on and since I have a small frame I have always looked like horrible with short hair.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
not always some still look good. but the danger for women especially the older woman,
its not about how she looks its about how she feels.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Completely depends on the woman.
I agree!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
One of the nice things about getting older is that you are no longer dressing for anyone else. Don't like my shoulder-length silver hair with the bright purple streak? Don't like my dangly earrings or the fact that I wear t-shirts and jeans (and shorts in the summer, showing my - gasp! - 50 yr old knees) everywhere? Tough. I don't care what you think. I wear what pleases me and is comfortable.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:53 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I'm hard pressed to think of any woman I've known that didn't look better (to me) with long hair, regardless of age. I know it's hard to take care of, gets in the way of things sometimes etc. But long hair is sexy and fetching on a woman of any age. IMHO

Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
I think people who think certain age groups have to follow a fashion code are silly. Who made up this stupid rule?

As for long hair, I think it looks awful no matter what age the person is if it's scraggly and unhealthy. I think it looks great on any age if it's in good condition and well kempt.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I think of this lady who had dreads down to her calves and love remembering that. She looked like some sort of forest queen or something. She was white, very tan and creased. Her dreads were dark grey for about 4 inches and then just faded up into silver white. She was wearing all white linen and walking around on the beach storefronts in Venice beach. It looked so pretty because they were neat, even and tiny. Very clean looking (not lumpy hippie dreads). She may have had a mixed family tree (middle eastern). I swear it was the coolest/neatest looking "old lady" I have ever seen. Black coal eyes. lipbalm and dreads to the calves in linen on the beach...Very neat look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care