Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM

517 posts, read 1,963,632 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's some magical age where you have to say, "oh, tomorrow I'll be 45, better go cut my hair."

I think if your hair is healthy and neat-looking it doesn't matter how old you are or what color it is if you want it long. Just take care of it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
An age-related cutoff point for hair length is ridiculous. Hair of any length looks good on any age, provided it is kept neatly, well-groomed, and flattering to the individual. Some people look better with longer hair, some look better with shorter hair, and that may or may not change as one ages. Caring for your hair and getting the best style for your face shape, bone structure, hair type, etc. is what's important in determining an appropriate length and style, not your age. Let the individual person determine what looks good, and what they're most comfortable with. Following somebody else's idea of when you reach the point where you have no real options other than to buckle under to a matronly, dowdy hairstyle that may not suit you is stupid.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
Just popping back in to add. We finally got to town and I had a professional hair cut done. She took off another 4 inches and my hair still is long at about center back but looks so much better with the scragglies cut off. It will grow back more healthy. I have been through an illness that was hard on my hair. I am so glad I decided to lighten it up in weight. Takes so much less time to dry. I do not think I would ever cut it short for me. I think short is very cute on some just not for me.

Chris

Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
I think after 50 you need to have shorter hair. ten years ago my two nieces were in their early 20s,here is what my nieces had to say about long hair; The faces look old. Longer hair looks better when you are younger.Imagin looking at someone from their back,they have long hair.It does look pretty.But when they turn their head around you would see an old face.It just doesn't look appealing and doesn't match.
Tell that cap to the chick that played Jim Carry's secretary in Liar Liar, she has BEAUTIFUL LONG HAIR and she is an older woman. Tell that to Crystal Gale also.

Hell, tell it to me in a few more years, I love my hair and will not cut it. A woman's hair is her crowning glory.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Very long hair down to the waist looks bad imo. Long hair is ok as long as it isn't too long, maybe halfway down. But extremely long hair is the most unappealing thing. When I see woman with hair to their waist they all look the same with no fashion sense. They do nothing with their hair and that extends to their wardrobe too.
How silly!

Seriously, you must not have seen very many people with long hair then, since mine is that long, and I am very fashionable, and don't fit into your little mold.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Those stars you mentioned have a nice length.
This is not.file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg (broken link)
I think she has pretty hair. Needs a bit of a trim, but very pretty.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I am in my 40's. I have long hair. I had short hair when I was younger & hated it. I will never voluntarily cut my hair short. I think short hair on any age woman is un-feminine.
What about when you're 85 years old, half your hair has fallen out, and the rest is as fine as cotton? There's a reason why the short "poodle perm" is so popular with the over 80 crowd.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Long hair on women over 45 looks horrible when it's the same hair do from their high school days - bleach blond "Farah Fawcette" hair on a 50 year old woman who smokes 2 packs a day - just horrible!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Long hair on women over 45 looks horrible when it's the same hair do from their high school days - bleach blond "Farah Fawcette" hair on a 50 year old woman who smokes 2 packs a day - just horrible!
It can be, if it is a dated hairstyle from one specific period.

But I have had long straight hair, middle part since I can remember (except for that ignorant period I had a few year back when I screwed it up horribly, and had to cut it above my ears to let it grow out from the damage); and IMO it is a timeless cut/style.

I mean, there are thousands of cultures where women have long hair until death.

It's only been in the last 100yrs or so, that women have been cutting their hair as they age.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrss View Post
I think it's a very individual thing. ...AGE doesn't demand an apology, it commands respect.
I just had my hair cut last week from mid-back length (just above the bra line ) to just below my shoulders in back. It's graduated in a few layers to be a bit shorter in the front with bangs. I recently turned 48 and just felt like having a change; nothing more.

I will probably let it grow back a few inches, but I'll keep the layers & bangs - just easier for me to work with. I say do whatever floats your boat...long, short or none... a la Magnum Mike!

A dear friend of mine lost every follicle of hair on her entire body due to an auto-immune disease. She wears wigs in public but when she is on her own turf with family & close friends, she goes 'au naturel'. Makes me realize every time: the rest of us are just damn lucky we even get to make the choice for long or short!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care