Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:33 AM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times

Advertisements

I think after 50 you need to have shorter hair. ten years ago my two nieces were in their early 20s,here is what my nieces had to say about long hair; The faces look old. Longer hair looks better when you are younger.Imagin looking at someone from their back,they have long hair.It does look pretty.But when they turn their head around you would see an old face.It just doesn't look appealing and doesn't match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I wear mine mid back...at 45 I get compliments on my hair all the time.
Now at 50 if they add "Bless yor heart" I might cut it.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
I cringed when I voted, only because... well the options were less than limited.

Longer hair on an older woman is fine! ..but wearing it trailing down your back looks unkept, unless you can keep it full and fluffy and pretty looking (like younger people can do). When you're older with longer hair I think it's prudent to put it up. half the fun of having longer hair is so many different ways you can style it.

I voted to cut it, but only because it was the lesser of two evils. I have extremely long red hair, and I don't plan on cutting it. But I don't plan on blowdrying it and curling the ends and letting it fly where it wants to, 30-40 years from now like I do today.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 AM

208 posts, read 415,998 times
I voted - cut it.

I wish more women realized their femininity is not wrapped up in their hair. Many women (and men for that matter) use/view long hair as a third tit.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:29 AM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times
I had long hair also when I was young like you,fiddlekitten.I used to part it from the middle,a lot of people thought I was American Indian,my hair was dark blue,when the sun hits it,it had a bluish black look.It was gorgeous and thick.Now I have grey hair on top.After a few touchups my hairdresser nicely told me to dye my hair,so I have brown hair,and had to cut it short because it looks better and Fiddlekitten,your minset changes too.You would think you want to keep it long,but not after a certain age,your hair is not as full and beautiful.It really falls easier too and breaks easier at a certain age.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:18 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
Many women (and men for that matter) use/view long hair as a third tit.
LOL....never heard that before....third tit...

Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Fiddlekitten,your minset changes too.You would think you want to keep it long,but not after a certain age,your hair is not as full and beautiful.It really falls easier too and breaks easier at a certain age.
I will trim it to about the length my mom has hers when I get older. Below the shoulders, but just barely. so it can still be worn down if I want it, but it can still be worn up as well.

And to the MeSoBe's note which I must say I don't care for very much:
heh, you're new here, ya? I wish more women realized their "strength in their new-found women's rights activism" does not give creedence to chopping it off to empower themselves. Many women (and men for that matter) use/view short hair as a status symbol.

Call me old fashioned, but when it gets to the point where you can't discern the female from the male ratio by the back of their head, it's uncomfortable! Hair is hair no matter what way you wear it. My mom says a women's hair is her crown and glory. I for one, hope I grow up to be just like her. If chopping it all off makes you feel empowered... maybe you need to take a better look at some previously deep-seeded issues with your self esteem. If wearing it long is a way of clinging to your past... again, to each her own.

As long as it's healthy and cared for, who cares how long your hair is? I think having it alll hanging down is targetting a youth generation as a whole, but whats to stop someone from having long hair and always having it styled nicely or up-kept in the later years? The longer it is the harder it is to manage, I can do it now, take the time, I won't do it when I'm older. Shorter is more managle, but even "short for me" would be considered medium length or more to another. Layers and what not add volume to it once it starts to thin out. *shrug*

Quote:
I wish more women realized their femininity is not wrapped up in their hair. Many women (and men for that matter) use/view long hair as a third tit.
..I sense a lot of anger in your response. Do you have ugly hair or something? Because I know a lot of people that will be happy to give you advice and tips and whatnot for style technics on how to make it better It's okay

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 11-02-2007 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I don't like really long hair on anyone. Anything longer than mid-back usually looks bad on most people, young or old. The person then gets too hung up on length rather than trimming regularly, making for some nasty straggly ends. I don't believe in age cutoffs for hair. Whatever looks best on the individual.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
I voted - cut it.

hehe
Well, I am not my eyes, I am not my arms, I am not my hair, either--but it is a part of my identity. Having said that--I wear my hair shorter now.

I had long hair throughout my most of my youth (70's-80's). Part of this was because all through my childhood my mom kept my hair in a pixie-cut.
My hair has always been very thick and heavy. It was fun, when I became the one responsible for it, to wear it long. Those were the days of revelling in hair, and I did.

I kept it long through my mid-40's. Then it began to not be so fun anymore.
It weighed me down,it had become boring; I wanted a change.
These days it is in layers and just touches barely touches the top of my shoulders, sometimes a little shorter, never any longer.
I've worn it this way for about a decade, with no plans to change.

I didn't vote because the choices were too limited; long hair can work on some older women. It is more fun to able to put it up or braid it or whatever, but long hair can also drag an older woman's face down, if you care about that kind of stuff.
I do not blame older women for chafing at the obligatory short, sensible haircut for over 45 year olds. Thank goodness we can do what we want and not worry about the Fashion Police arresting us.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM

good post cil !! reps to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care