Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 AM

238 posts, read 1,142,241 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1970s when I was young, many women had long hair. It got started in the hippie era of the late 1960s and continued well into the 1980s. Trouble is many of these women who grew up with the long hair in the 60s and 70s are now Grandmas and no longer look all that great with super long hair. Though they still look at themselves as young hippie girls from 1970s- instead of the middle aged women they are today.

I say cut your hair into something more fitting to your age and situation. Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 AM

27,260 posts, read 27,323,510 times
I have to disagree. It depends on the person, the condition her hair is in and her facial frame. I love my longer dark hair and have to admit, dont know anyone who hasnt told me it looks bad. But then, I love long hair, period, because you can do so much with it.
Everyone will have different opinions for different reasons though, and mine was simply an opinion.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,226,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I have to disagree. It depends on the person, the condition her hair is in and her facial frame. I love my longer dark hair and have to admit, dont know anyone who hasnt told me it looks bad. But then, I love long hair, period, because you can do so much with it.
Everyone will have different opinions for different reasons though, and mine was simply an opinion.
I agree with PowerSurge here. Depends on the person, how they wear it etc. Personally, I think very long, straight grey hair would not look attractive on most women, but very very few wear it that way. If an older lady is going to wear her hair long, I personally think it looks better with some curl or wave to it, not just worn straight-hippie style.

I also don't like VERY short hair on most people either for that matter. But that's just me. I am old. --just turned 52. I wear my hair in a "medium length just touching the shoulders. That is my preference. But that's just me.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,173,237 times
I am in my 40's. I have long hair. I had short hair when I was younger & hated it. I will never voluntarily cut my hair short. I think short hair on any age woman is un-feminine.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM

27,260 posts, read 27,323,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I am in my 40's. I have long hair. I had short hair when I was younger & hated it. I will never voluntarily cut my hair short. I think short hair on any age woman is un-feminine.

I need to give you points.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 AM

781 posts, read 3,809,531 times
I started having gray hairs in high school and now have long, gray hair to about my waist...maybe a little shorter. I have a family history of beautiful, silver gray hair and I decided after years of coloring it evey five weeks to quit fighting it and go with my genes. I am sure that the gray hair ages me a bit as I am still in my 40's but it makes me a little different from the pack and as long as my husband loves it, and he does, I will keep it this way.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,039,275 times
Just my personal opinion, I think medium-or-short hair is terminally boring. I love long dark hair down to the waist or lower, and now that mine is 4-5 inches past my shoulders, I appreciate how much work it is to take care of such lengthy locks.

When I see an older woman who bothers to take care of long hair, I think "now here is a lady with some character" whereas shoulder-length-ish hair elicits a "meh, soccer mom" thought.

I've seen a few women with long white or gray hair and been very impressed before even speaking to them. Maybe long hair on elderly women is like long beards on elderly men? Right or wrong, I automatically assume theres some sort of wizdom stored in all those dead cells.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM

781 posts, read 3,809,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I've seen a few women with long white or gray hair and been very impressed before even speaking to them. Maybe long hair on elderly women is like long beards on elderly men? Right or wrong, I automatically assume theres some sort of wizdom stored in all those dead cells.
I like that.....I will tell my children that my long, gray hair gives me wisdom

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM

640 posts, read 459,497 times
I've seen some women who shouldn't be wearing SHORT hair ~ looks terrible on some. It's all about height, weight, shape of the face and most importantly....preference. Keep it clean and well-trimmed on the ends (no fuzzy-frizzy) and long hair should be just fine on any woman :-)

Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,204,546 times
I think it all depends on the individual. I've looked best in medium-length hair (shoulder length or above) no matter what my age so I still wear it that way at age 51. Neither long hair nor short hair really look good on me.

I don't think short hair is universally flattering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care