Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

Too hot now to even THINK about hot rollers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,815 times
Well, I had my little fling with them; good hints but for me everything fell flat within a few minutes. Now they are returned to the linen closet. Even though thinning, my hair is still thick but fine. Really, especially after a shampoo, the less I do with it the better.

For me the best body boosters have been baby powder rubbed into the roots, (cornstarch, not talc) and some of that uber cheap Suave dry shampoo. I would not put either on the ends. Actually I treat my hair totally different from roots to about chin length and then another regimen for the length.

I recently read about rubbing witch hazel into the roots but have not tried it yet...

Such fun!

Last edited by Alinka; 07-20-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
I do, I can get a great set from them. Have been able to get 3 days out of a set before, and the curl/body was still going strong but the hair needed washing.

I'm not as find of curling irons; they take too long. I like rolling my hair then having real fast or doing my makeup while the hair sets.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I do, I can get a great set from them. Have been able to get 3 days out of a set before, and the curl/body was still going strong but the hair needed washing.

I'm not as find of curling irons; they take too long. I like rolling my hair then having real fast or doing my makeup while the hair sets.
Agree that electric rollers are so much faster than a curling iron. Sure wish I could get 3 days out of a set. In our humidity, I barely get an hour.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 AM

57 posts, read 31,037 times
I use them occasionally. I like how they look after the curl has fallen a bit. They're too bouncy for me for about the first hour or so.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
My hair is straight, thinning, and just a bit more than chin length right now (it was shoulder length but yesterday I watched a cut-your-own-hair video on YouTube). I'm using extra large hot rollers I bought last spring. I bought 2 sets of 5 rollers each. And I ordered from Conair the XL wire type pins. I put cotton or foam pads under the rollers that are too hot on my scalp. Sleeping all night on rollers gives my hair a longer lasting set but are uncomfortable and tend to slip out so I'm using hot rollers more regularly. The hot roller set lasts only a couple hours but at least the hair retains some shape.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:06 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
I live in hot, humid, Houston and I use hot rollers. The trick is prepping your hair. Wash hair the day before. Spray hair before using or use a gel or mousse. Let it dry and brush through. Heat rollers all the way and then roll your whole head. Then let them cool down ALL the way. Sit under a ceiling fan if you need to. Then unroll the hair and leave it alone . Spray again and then style.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
My hair is what you might call bra back length. For the last several years I have been straightening it with a flatiron- not with chemicals. I let it dry naturally but it is starting to look fried to me.
Also, as I am getting older, the stick straight look is starting to look more severe than I like (maybe?).
Not only severe, but the thinning- OMG.
Two questions:
Does anyone take saw palmetto to increase hair thickness?
Does anyone still use hot rollers?
I've been pulling out everything from my closet and have Conair "velvet" hot rollers.
Any thoughts, comments?
I am in your age bracket. To answer your questions. No, I don't take saw palmetto either in herb or tablet form. No I have never used hot rollers.
My hair is naturally straight and I just use my G3 Salon Pro, it takes all of 7 mins to curl my head of hair, run my fingers through and my hair is set for the day. I couldn't face having to put rollers in and then sit & wait for them to cool down, I'm too impatient.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,719 times
I use hot rollers all the time . I just love voluminous hairstyle. I have thin and fine hair so it help a lot. The last one I got was and old one which is lady schick lasting curls but unfortunately there are a piece missing there was suppose to be a container to put water in it as this set is a steam hot roller.

Which kind of hot rollers do you use? ☺
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care