Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So do any of these sprays actually spay out as a wide, light mist? The Tresemme and Aveeno ones I've tried (and still using, ugh) spray out a bit heavy and cover a narrow area, therefore, I have to spray several times on each side of my head, and the back. With the Healthy Sexy Hair brand, I only need to spray 3 times, once on each side, and the back, and it's a VERY LIGHT WIDE MIST. That's mainly what I'm looking for.
The giovanni spray and the rosewater spray do a very fine mist that I linked. The rosewater can be used on your face and body too for a light refresher or to set mineral makeup. Its a soothing spritz post shave to calm the skin. I still sometimes layer a lotion over it if my skin has been being dry. Its very light. The giovanni one is heavier but not all plasticy grease heavy like the tresseme.

I get it from iherb where I found it to be the cheapest:
Giovanni, Vitapro Fusion, Protective Moisture, Leave-In Hair Treatment, 5.1 fl oz (150 ml) - iHerb.com

See reviews on it on that page

GOM620
^^^coupon code for $$$ off if you never ordered from there before

You can usually find it in health stores or vitamin stores if you want to buy it in person and give it a test spray.

Its lighter than the tresseme by far. I don't think it would work on coarse/ultra dry hair very well to give you an idea of the weight of it. As far as wide spray..I would say it is not narrow but not super wide like some salon hairsprays can be. I never used the product you liked so I can't compare it against that one.

I hear you on the tresseme one. Still can't use it everyday and I have to use a clarifying shampoo every once in while if I use it more than 3x a week. But I bought it..so its getting used up. LOL
If you want to try to use the last of it pull that top pump off and soak it in a mug of hot water. If its still being stream like take the pump out of the bottle and stick the straw in a clean mug of hot water and pump the hot water through. It can help a lot if your bottle is being a stream spray. I found rinsing the top off with hot water after use helps it from getting super clogged to the point of having to disassemble it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I hear you on the tresseme one. Still can't use it everyday and I have to use a clarifying shampoo every once in while if I use it more than 3x a week. But I bought it..so its getting used up. LOL
If you want to try to use the last of it pull that top pump off and soak it in a mug of hot water. If its still being stream like take the pump out of the bottle and stick the straw in a clean mug of hot water and pump the hot water through. It can help a lot if your bottle is being a stream spray. I found rinsing the top off with hot water after use helps it from getting super clogged to the point of having to disassemble it.
Thanks for all the info!

I didn't use ANY conditioner this morning, and my hair dried a bit quicker, and it feels cleaner, too, and it doesn't feel "stuck together", but the hair feels "separate." So until I find one I like, I'll only use it every other day. I'll look for the Giovanni at a local health store I go to. If they don't have it, I'll order it on-line. Thanks again for all the info!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info!

I didn't use ANY conditioner this morning, and my hair dried a bit quicker, and it feels cleaner, too, and it doesn't feel "stuck together", but the hair feels "separate." So until I find one I like, I'll only use it every other day. I'll look for the Giovanni at a local health store I go to. If they don't have it, I'll order it on-line. Thanks again for all the info!

You are welcome. Good luck in the hunt. I used this shampoo and matching conditioner combo to get the tresseme build up out:

Amazon.com: Aura Shampoo Rosemary Mint Rejuvenating 13.5 oz.: Beauty

I follow it up with a 30 min olive oil soak just to combat any drying.
(my hair gets dry really easily so you may not need the olive oil)

Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
This was a good thread to read, because I'm on the hunt for one too. I had found one I really liked and, wouldn't you know it, by the time I ran out and went to buy some more, I learned it was discontinued. That happened with a lot of stuff I liked, unfortunately -- perfume, lipstick, you name it.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
It's a light lotion rather than a spray, but I've always been a fan of Paul Mitchell's leave-in, it's called "The Conditioner" lol. You only need a tiny bit so a bottle lasts a very long time which helps to offset the higher price. It is a very lightweight formula suitable even for very fine hair so long as you are careful to use only a small amount. A dime size amount would work for long, thick hair. For short fine hair you'd use an amount the size of a lentil. You apply it to damp hair, concentrating on the ends and then smoothing through the rest. You can use it to set a style if you let your hair dry naturally, just wait until it is dry before you brush or comb through. You can find it at regular drugstores now like Walgreens and CVS, and I know that Supercuts carries the line as well. My only complaint is that the squirt thing in the lid tends to get clogged after awhile and can be difficult to clean out, so you want to rinse it through with hot water now and then to keep it clear.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a leave-in conditioner that won't break my wallet. I love to use "healthy sexy hair" soy tri-wheat leave in conditioner, but at $17+ for 8.5 oz isn't economically feasible for me right now. I like it because it softens my hair so I can get a brush thru it, and it mists on when sprayed, and it doesn't weigh down my hair. I've tried a few drugstore brands, but the spray is heavy and concentrated, it doesn't "mist" for a light and even distribution, and is a bit heavy. I tried pouring the drugstore brand into the "healthy sexy hair" bottle, but it's still a heavy spray, so it's not the bottle.

Any recommendations for a conditioner that "mists" on, and isn't heavy? Something under $10 I can try? I need a leave-in to save me time in the morning.

I know you said you wanted a "spray type", but I SWEAR by coconut oil. I have hair to the top of my butt, and I use a tiny (dime size) bit of coconut oil nightly on my ends, and it works well.

You can get it in the cooking oil section at the grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Is it just me or is leave in spray conditioner products getting harder and harder to find?
Matrix makes an awesome spray leave in; it's from their total results line, also It's a 10 makes a decent one as well.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM

I do deep conditioning with the coconut oil as well. I do the all over drench method. LOL
Make my hair coated so that it looks wet and leave it on for 30 mins and then shampoo/condition as normal.

As far as frequency I have been doing that as needed. When I notice the shine is not like glass on my hair, I do a treatment. Its usually every other week unless my hair is super dry from styling with heat. Then its about 1x a week.

Also found this little DIY gem:
Detangler / Hydrator for < $1 - Easy DIY that actually works

Aloe spray makes the treseme stuff work much better and has improved my hair condition overall. More good hair days than crazy ones. LOL

I will have to check out that matrix spray when my treseme stuff runs out. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
OP here... and I just finally broke down and bought the Healthy Sexy Hair leave-in I usually use... and spent the $17 to get it. I tried a couple of suggestions, but none of them made my hair feel like it had separate free flow and movement. Will never use anything else again.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 PM

363 posts, read 513,976 times
Tried just about every leave-in under the sun- I have waist-length, thick, curly, frizzy hair.

The "mists" are bogus, all of them. Tried almost all the cream leave-ins.
Sexy hair's entire product line sucks. Treseme sucks. Aussie sucks. Giovanni is good. Ego Boost sucks, too- worst flakes in the world, even though it's $15 a bottle. Its a 10 is OK, but ridiculously expensive. I could go on...

The non-mist leave-ins are not all heavy & are better for overall maintenance.
The two best I've found in 15 years of trial/error include one cheap drug-store one and one salon-brand. Here's the links:

Herbal Essence Split End Protector:
Amazon.com: Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Split End Protector Hair Care 6 Fl Oz: Beauty

Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (lighter than HH, and the liter bottle lasts forever):
Amazon.com: Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, 33.8-Ounce Bottle: Beauty

If you insist on a mist, the only half-way decent one is Aveeno, and it's still not great. If you don't like the spray path, try a different spray nozzle. IME, most mists leave flakes or knot up the hair, even Aveeno.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I like Aphogee's leave in conditioner and it's a spray. I would recommend it just as a leave in conditioner, I didn't get any styling results from it. My Hair is down to the middle of my back so I really rely on keeping it well conditioned because I flat iron also.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care