Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:40 PM

79 posts, read 100,222 times

Advertisements

I am 47 and I just looked in the mirror. It looked fairly grey

I am thinking of using natural dyes--henna, amla and indigo. Combined they form some shade of brown. They are supposed to improve the texture of the hair versus fry the hair like regular (toxic) dyes.

If you are greying, what do you use or have you just let your hair go grey? I am wondering if I should just accept the change and not try to be something I'm not. I rarely wear makeup anymore, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:56 PM

340 posts, read 523,834 times
I'm not greying, but what do you think of the dye-style that allows for grey to be the controlling colour/look? I think it looks beautiful, particularly on shorter hair styles. I see it all the time lately. Seems popular.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
I'm not greying, but what do you think of the dye-style that allows for grey to be the controlling colour/look? I think it looks beautiful, particularly on shorter hair styles. I see it all the time lately. Seems popular.
Yes. Are you saying that the grey is like frosted or highlights? I have seen some beautiful examples.

My main concern is that I won't grey well. I find that jet black hair looks fabulous when it greys. Mine is dark brown/auburn and it has gotten lighter as I have gotten older and started greying. I am not sure it looks so hot--kind of washed out, you know?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Yes, exactly! Like highlights of sorts. I just love the look.

How about playing around with it a little... start by dying your hair dark, and once the grey starts coming in, try a dark highlight (partial colour) to cover and shade until you balance out the right look you're happy with?

Might take some fussing around with, but what the heck...

Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Yes, exactly! Like highlights of sorts. I just love the look.

How about playing around with it a little... start by dying your hair dark, and once the grey starts coming in, try a dark highlight (partial colour) to cover and shade until you balance out the right look you're happy with?

Might take some fussing around with, but what the heck...
Yeah...I was thinking of dyeing it raven black. Indigo is the natural color you use...The only thing I go around in my mind about is whether I am resisting being myself. After I stopped wear makeup, I have become so much less concerned about how I looked. I used to be SO into it!

Old 08-17-2013, 03:28 PM

I think there's nothing wrong with dying ones hair, particularly if, as you say, you've cut back/stopped wearing makeup. I think it's a good thing to be able to concentrate on something that makes you feel good inside.

I say go for it, at least once anyway, and then you'll know your next step related to fine-tuning things, or possibly letting go of it and freeing yourself from it all.

Whenever I've let something go, I try and create a balance to offset. Somehow it has always had a way of making me feel better about whatever it is/was I let go.

Thing to remember is, once you do the full-colour dye, the most time consuming part is over, and you can fiddle around with (at your leisure) the highlighting part, as in what portion of grey you want to show.

Plus, it may give you something additional to look forward to, and IMO that's always a good thing!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Had my hair bleached when I was 40, to celebrate. I'd not done anything to it before. Kept it 5 years and during that time, not once did I see myself in a mirror and immediately recognize myself, unless, I were home. On a Sunday afternoon symphony performance the audience was a sea of blondes. During the break, when returning to my seat, I could see all these blondes had very old faces. Decided I'd bleached too early.

So far as dying one's hair, it's just one more chore to do to oneself. Far be it from me to say do it, since, I know how much I dislike adding another task to my schedule.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
hair dye today, especially from a good salon is not harsh on the hair at all. they have temporary as well as perm colors.
grey hair looks great if the grey is in the right places. you need grey/white around the the sides of your face or else you will look dull. if you look at all the women who look great in grey their grey is usually on the whiter side and they have it on the sides.

you should want to look the best you can at any age. if your grey hair is dull do something about it. a killer color and haircut make all the difference in the world.

I let my grey grow out and although the color of the grey is good, where the grey is, is not flattering at all. I too have dark brown with reddish tones. if you want the grey to blend in have it highlighted light ash blonde.

dying your hair black IMO is the most aging thing you can do. especially if it is a home dye job. find a good colorist, pay the money and pamper yourself.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 AM

301 posts, read 823,665 times
Before you color using indigo be sure and do a good strand test first. Indigo is tricky to get right and all hair takes to henna and indigo slightly differently, with grey being the most difficult of all. Also, remember that you can't dye over indigo if you don't like the results, unless you want your hair to turn green!

I agree with Hothulamaui - dying your hair black is one of the most aging things you can do, unless you are 20-something.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
At 59, my hair isn't all that gray yet, I have a sprig of hair in the front on top. I colored my hair when I was younger for fun. Now, I would never consider it. I had medium lightbrown hair with a little reddish glow but now it has turned darker. After menopause, my hair has become more brittle but I use a shampoo and conditioner (Organic Health Invigorating Shampoo and Conditioner from Puritan's Pride - it has tea tree oil which I am fond of) that make it shiny and healthy looking which is all that counts for me. I considered henna but after reading articles on it, decided it was not worth the risk. Black will accentuate every tiny wrinkle that you have. The older women that I have seen with the dyed black hair look "cold". With makeup, I wear just eyebrow pencil, neutral lipstick and have one of those makeup kits from Physician's Formula. I know that I am older but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. I think so many get an addiction to the hair coloring and can't stop. You can always tell a fake hair color from a mile away. I would work on my physical health and go easy care with my hair. Read all labels and put nothing on your hair with alcohol in it. A rinse of coffee is good for clarifying hair and removing product buildup. If you do some "googling" there are herbs/teas that can give your hair a hint of color. At 59, I'm glad I have hair, most all of it. I keep telling myself that "hair and teeth", I'm doing good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care