Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,355,776 times

Advertisements

You didn't provide enough info.
1. What products do you use?
2. What treatments and when did you have them done?
3. Are you on hormone treatment of any kind?
4. Have you been ill in the last few months as in a serious case of the flu?
5. What condition is your hair in?
6. Do you color your hair and how often?
7. What age range are you in ?
8. Do any of the women in your family have the same issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,293,805 times
After I had my daughter, I started losing hair. I was 22 then. It got progressively worse. I am almost 40 now, and I would say my hair was 3x thicker back then. To someone who has never dealt with my hair, they would never believe it. People think my hair is thick. I feel like I am half bald.

I know I am not, but because of the fact that it has been so much thicker, it really feels like it.

I also, within the past 8 years off and on, have had to take a drug that is a chemotherapy. Obviously, my hair is falling out quite a bit. I see it everywhere. In the sink, in the tub, my brushes. When I take a shower and wash my hair and condition it, I get a handful of hair.

My hair loss has been contributed to several factors. The birth of my child (I think), stress and health issues, and medication.

I saw a dermatologist a couple of years after my daughter was born and my hair was still pretty thick to anyone looking at it. To me, it had thinned out quite a bit.

The dr acted like I was crazy and told me my hair loss was normal and that we lose up to 100 hairs a day.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,384,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
After I had my daughter, I started losing hair. I was 22 then. It got progressively worse. I am almost 40 now, and I would say my hair was 3x thicker back then. To someone who has never dealt with my hair, they would never believe it. People think my hair is thick. I feel like I am half bald.

I know I am not, but because of the fact that it has been so much thicker, it really feels like it.

I also, within the past 8 years off and on, have had to take a drug that is a chemotherapy. Obviously, my hair is falling out quite a bit. I see it everywhere. In the sink, in the tub, my brushes. When I take a shower and wash my hair and condition it, I get a handful of hair.

My hair loss has been contributed to several factors. The birth of my child (I think), stress and health issues, and medication.

I saw a dermatologist a couple of years after my daughter was born and my hair was still pretty thick to anyone looking at it. To me, it had thinned out quite a bit.

The dr acted like I was crazy and told me my hair loss was normal and that we lose up to 100 hairs a day.
I get where you are coming from - I don't think my dr or hair stylist consider my hair thin, but years ago - I was one of those people who couldn't use standard hair elastics or clips because my hair was too thick - the strands weren't thick there was just ALOT of them..

My hair fell out big time when my husband was on his first combat deployment. (got shingles too, fun times)

Also lost a lot of hair when I was flirting with insulin resistance - eating too high a carb diet and blood sugars got really, really out of whack

Medication - I assume you are talking about prednisone? I took it on and off for years myself, I'm not sure that it effected my hair but it wasn't great for my general health to be sure.

I've also found that I've needed to go back on my thyroid meds from time to time and my hair is one of the first indications that I need to get tested..

I have found that taking a Hair-Nails-Skin vitamin really helps...

Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,293,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I get where you are coming from - I don't think my dr or hair stylist consider my hair thin, but years ago - I was one of those people who couldn't use standard hair elastics or clips because my hair was too thick - the strands weren't thick there was just ALOT of them..

My hair fell out big time when my husband was on his first combat deployment. (got shingles too, fun times)

Also lost a lot of hair when I was flirting with insulin resistance - eating too high a carb diet and blood sugars got really, really out of whack

Medication - I assume you are talking about prednisone? I took it on and off for years myself, I'm not sure that it effected my hair but it wasn't great for my general health to be sure.

I've also found that I've needed to go back on my thyroid meds from time to time and my hair is one of the first indications that I need to get tested..

I have found that taking a Hair-Nails-Skin vitamin really helps...
Prednisone is actually a steroid, and I did have to take that for a bit as well, and also when I have RA flares. The actual medication I am talking about that is a chemotherapy is Methotrexate. It is the drug that most people on RA seem to be on or have been on. I am having to take that as well as a biologic, Humira.

I am a firm believer that a persons health and well being have a lot to do with our bodies.

My hair is the same way, fine hair but a lot of it. People look at it and think I have a lot of hair as it is, but I know that I only have about a third the amount that I used to have.

Luckily I also have new growth. It seems as though my hair grows back in phases, and I have all kinds of different lengths of the new growth. At least it doesn't fal out and never come back!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:42 AM

8 posts, read 10,924 times
Could be your thyroid. Ask your physician for a thyroid blood test, if your levels are low you will need medication, i.e., synthroid.

Being hypothyroid without treatment can make your hair fall out by the handfuls. If this is your problem, it will take a bit of time for the medication to affect your hair condition.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,615,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
My hair is thinning out. I used to have thick hair but hair kept falling off since I had it straightened 12 years ago. I had it straightened only twice and had it permed 3 times. Any tips ?
Having your hair chemically processed 12 yrs ago is NOT causing the problems you are having today, I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I'm in my 30's. I have falling hair everytime I wash and comb my hair. I have already noticed my hair thinning out for awhile but I have only noticed that I am having some bald patches on the forehead just last month.
You are your 30, that means hormonal changes; which affect hair. Also, diet, exercise, medication, stress, etc... ALL play a part in your hair growth/loss.

It's normal to loose hair daily as it goes through it's phases.

Do you use heat on your hair? Change in meds? Weave? Braids? Excessive pulling of the hair? All those can play a part as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafunk2 View Post
Could be your thyroid. Ask your physician for a thyroid blood test, if your levels are low you will need medication, i.e., synthroid.

Being hypothyroid without treatment can make your hair fall out by the handfuls. If this is your problem, it will take a bit of time for the medication to affect your hair condition.
Hyperthyroid will do the same thing will hair loss and weird patterns of loss.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 AM

12,704 posts, read 14,876,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
You didn't provide enough info.
1. What products do you use?
2. What treatments and when did you have them done?
3. Are you on hormone treatment of any kind?
4. Have you been ill in the last few months as in a serious case of the flu?
5. What condition is your hair in?
6. Do you color your hair and how often?
7. What age range are you in ?
8. Do any of the women in your family have the same issue?
HELP SOMEONE! I'm in my late 30s & my hair has gotten gradually thinner too over the yrs, but especially in the last 1-2 yrs. Don't know why. I was NEVER on any meds & had no more stress than usual. My hair is extremely, extremely long, just nowhere near as thick as it used to be.

These days, I've really got to do something fast! I ordered this hair food to put on my scalp that I used as a child that always kept my hair in good condition AND I just ordered these hair, skin, & nails tablets w/ 15 nutrients & high levels of Biotin.

I'll answer the above questions:

1. Other than a good quality shampoo/conditioner & protein conditioning treatment, just Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Cream.

2. I have been dying my hair since my early to mid-20s, but never every few weeks: Done by salon about 1-2 times a year. Done myself using the non-ammonia kind, maybe about every 1-2 months.

3. & 4. No

5. I thought pretty healthy. I don't brush it on a regular basis though...just got out of that habit long ago, it seems. I don't do anything special to the scalp, etc.

6. See #2

7. Late 30s (never had kids)

8. Somewhat

Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,646,545 times
How old are you?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 AM

12,704 posts, read 14,876,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
How old are you?
I had said late 30s twice above, but if you want the specifics...39.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 AM

418 posts, read 557,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I had said late 30s twice above, but if you want the specifics...39.

I'm a few years younger and mine started last year, no one knows why still. Have you been to a dermatologist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care