U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago
486 posts, read 364,217 times
Reputation: 816

Advertisements

I currently have dyed dark brown hair (L3 or L4) and I want it to be an ash dark blonde/light brown color. Do you suggest I strip my hair or just bleach it? Is bleaching only good when you want your hair to be really blonde? Is stripping less damaging? Any suggestions would help, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Sunnyside
1,951 posts, read 1,557,863 times
Reputation: 1131
Stripping is bleaching. Depending on how long you leave the bleach on for depends on how much color it lifts. If you leave it on for a little bit, it'll be healthier hair and you can dye over it with your lighter brown/dark blonde color. You don't need to bleach it all the way to white to get the look that you want. Probably 5-10 minutes of bleach and your hair will be light enough to color.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago
486 posts, read 364,217 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Stripping is bleaching. Depending on how long you leave the bleach on for depends on how much color it lifts. If you leave it on for a little bit, it'll be healthier hair and you can dye over it with your lighter brown/dark blonde color. You don't need to bleach it all the way to white to get the look that you want. Probably 5-10 minutes of bleach and your hair will be light enough to color.
Really? It can lift to just an orangey color and I can still color over it? The thing I'm worried about is the color fading and turning really brassy afterwards. That's why I thought I need to get it as light as possible before I color it. Would it help to apply a protein filler before I dye my hair?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Sunnyside
1,951 posts, read 1,557,863 times
Reputation: 1131
Honestly, for anything that requires bleach, I really recommend going to a colorist. You can really mess up your hair doing it at home. If you leave bleach in your hair too long, you can say bye bye to all of your hair.

But you can use a toner and that will keep the brassy tone out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM
 
10,361 posts, read 17,065,293 times
Reputation: 8293
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Honestly, for anything that requires bleach, I really recommend going to a colorist. You can really mess up your hair doing it at home. If you leave bleach in your hair too long, you can say bye bye to all of your hair.

But you can use a toner and that will keep the brassy tone out.
Absolutely true. When I was a teen, I used to like to make my hair blonde. It was OK until I decided to leave the bleach in to bring it to almost platinum - after that my hair literally seemed like it was "melting", and I ended up having to cut my beautiful long hair off. I would think twice before going heavy handed with bleaching of dark hair.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago
486 posts, read 364,217 times
Reputation: 816
I know that bleach can be dangerous, but I'm pretty confident that I can do it. My hair hasn't been colored since October and a lot of it has faded, so it's definitely not as dark. Plus, I don't want to be really blonde. I just need to lift my hair so that I can dye it a dark ash blonde color.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,322 posts, read 3,293,048 times
Reputation: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I currently have dyed dark brown hair (L3 or L4) and I want it to be an ash dark blonde/light brown color. Do you suggest I strip my hair or just bleach it? Is bleaching only good when you want your hair to be really blonde? Is stripping less damaging? Any suggestions would help, thanks!
Stripping is bleaching, unless you mean using a product like Backtrax that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Really? It can lift to just an orangey color and I can still color over it? The thing I'm worried about is the color fading and turning really brassy afterwards. That's why I thought I need to get it as light as possible before I color it. Would it help to apply a protein filler before I dye my hair?
Yeah. So you are a lvl 3.5 or so and want to go to a lvl 7 with blue green tone? You will need a lightener AND a toner.

Seek a professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Honestly, for anything that requires bleach, I really recommend going to a colorist. You can really mess up your hair doing it at home. If you leave bleach in your hair too long, you can say bye bye to all of your hair.

But you can use a toner and that will keep the brassy tone out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I know that bleach can be dangerous, but I'm pretty confident that I can do it. My hair hasn't been colored since October and a lot of it has faded, so it's definitely not as dark. Plus, I don't want to be really blonde. I just need to lift my hair so that I can dye it a dark ash blonde color.

Since you have color on your hair currently; you don't have a clue what will happen with the lightener. It's not a virgin application, so that causes unpredicatble results at best.

Again, go to a professional we have tools and products and lighten and tone all in one step and can get you to the lvl and color tone you want in one setting.

Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 AM
 
4 posts, read 9,351 times
Reputation: 15
kgordeeva- I am a hair color specialist with over 33 years experience and hundreds of hours of advanced training. Go to a hair color specialist to do what you want to do. There is a non bleach product to remove permanent hair color from the hair shaft safely, not damaging the hair shaft or scalp. The regrowth from October, (aprox. 2"), must be taken into consideration separately to avoid banding in your end result. Have the operator do a comprehensive consultation with you, outlining every step of the operation. Do NOT have anyone start working on your hair if they seem to not have a clear and concise plan. Expect to pay from $100 to $200 not including a generous tip for a job well done. Make this person your exclusive colorist for the future because what one manufacture produces does not always jive with what another manufacture makes and can have unexpected results when combined on the hair shaft.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,279 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Absolutely true. When I was a teen, I used to like to make my hair blonde. It was OK until I decided to leave the bleach in to bring it to almost platinum - after that my hair literally seemed like it was "melting", and I ended up having to cut my beautiful long hair off. I would think twice before going heavy handed with bleaching of dark hair.
Me too... looked like pumpkin innards and it literally fell off of my head. I ended up with a pixie and it took 2 years to grow back; not cool.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top