Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone? I went to a new salon yesterday (Friday) upon the recommendation of an associate. I talked to the stylist on Wednesday to set the appoinment and asked the cost. The stylist also said cash only - no cards. That was fine because I planned to pay cash.

Went in on Friday, stylist did my hair, I really liked it. It was just as I had asked. She was very fast, I was in and out within an hour or so. I was her only customer. I was pleased. So, when I asked how much I owed her she quoted me a price $10 more than what she had said on the phone!! I gently explained the price was not what she had quoted originally, all she said was "Did I say that?" She fumbled around a bit on her phone/calculator and stuck to the $10 more price.

Original quote was $45.00 for a style and $15.00 for the trim which equals $60.00. She charged me $70.00 and when she said the $70.00 she said that was including $5.00 off for a new client discount which was never mentioned prior. So what the actual cost was $75.00????

What the heck?? I paid the higher price and gave her a 10% percent tip. Was she dishonest? Bad with math? Who knows. It was very odd and off putting especially as I really liked my hair and would have gone back though she was a bit of a drive from me.

I don't know what to make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
I think if it were me I would not have paid the extra amount or paid the $70 and not tip but you can't go back and undo it. What you can do is talk to the manager and tell her what happened. If I was the salon owner or manager I would want to know what how the stylists dealt with customers. You may or may not get a discount on other services but I would not go back to that stylist. It is very possible she quoted you in error, but she should have honored the lower price.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I think if it were me I would not have paid the extra amount or paid the $70 and not tip but you can't go back and undo it. What you can do is talk to the manager and tell her what happened. If I was the salon owner or manager I would want to know what how the stylists dealt with customers. You may or may not get a discount on other services but I would not go back to that stylist. It is very possible she quoted you in error, but she should have honored the lower price.
Yeah, I was surprised to say the least. I don't know how the salon is run, but when I initially called to set the appoinment, I was given the stylists cell number and the salon said they did not set appoinments for her.

It's too bad. I would have likely gone back to her had this not happened and she would have had a regular client. Also, for her to have done this knowing that she came recommended to me. She asked me about mid way through the process how I heard about her.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:59 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
This has happened to me. I usually get the excuse that my hair was thicker/longer/insert excuse than anticipated. I have even had long-term stylists raise their rates without warning. It's a shame because if they told me the correct price to begin with, I'd probably have still gone. In your case, this stylist lost your business over $5 or $10.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Most hair salons are ripoffs! I would never pay more than $25 for a good haircut! then she gets a good tip!!!

Greenchili

Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I really liked my hair and would have gone back though she was a bit of a drive from me.
I think the point here is, you really liked your hair. Was it worth $75? Heck yeah, it's worth it to me if I get a good haircut from a brand new hairdresser.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I think it is a ripoff myself I don't like being quoted one price over the phone and then paying another price when I get there . I have not let anyone touch my hair in ten years and most likely this is why ...I don't like bait and switch and I would report the owner of the salon to the better business bureau as well and also never go back there again ask for other recommendations from other women whom you see and like their hair .

Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
The rip-off hairdresser reaped a reward for lying when the OP gave a tip on top of the over-priced service.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Service professionals tend to do this. They give different prices to different people. I've had this happen (I'm sure everyone here) with auto body and mechanics.

On a totally different note, the hookers in Amsterdam do the same depending on how good looking the guy is. The uglier the man, the more he pays.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:26 PM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yeah, I was surprised to say the least. I don't know how the salon is run, but when I initially called to set the appoinment, I was given the stylists cell number and the salon said they did not set appoinments for her.

It's too bad. I would have likely gone back to her had this not happened and she would have had a regular client. Also, for her to have done this knowing that she came recommended to me. She asked me about mid way through the process how I heard about her.
Sounds to me like she is an independent stylist that just rents a chair at the salon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care