Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times

Advertisements

The trouble with trying to find a new hairstylist at a neighborhood salon is you don't know who is going to come out of the back room to take care of you.

So I walk into a salon called Bubbles (An upscale version of the Haircuttery owned by the same company), and ask for a haircut. About 2 minutes later a woman comes out the back room and greets me. She looks like a freak with multi colored hair, many piercings and at least 20 tattoos covering her entire body including her hands, neck and her entire arms and legs.

I was immediately turned off and lost respect for her as a professional. I was afraid someone who made these choices in her appearance could not make logical decisions in the cutting of a clients hair.

What could I do, go back to the salon receptionist and say the lady they assigned me is too freaky looking?

Instead I just made an excuse about forgetting an appointment and left.

I wonder if anyone else over forty was so turned off by the stylists appearance that they never returned. Does she know that her appearance is hurting her business and professionalism?

** I understand that being a hair stylist is a creative endeavor so a few tasteful tattoos and piercings are fine in my opinion but she was over the top with 70% of her body (that I could see) covered in tattoos.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 06-13-2014 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:38 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The trouble with trying to find a new hairstylist at a neighborhood salon is you don't know who is going to come out of the back room to take care of you.

So I walk into a salon called Bubbles (An upscale version of the Haircuttery owned by the same company), and ask for a haircut. About 2 minutes later a woman comes out the back room and greets me. She looks like a freak with multi colored hair, many piercings and at least 20 tattoos covering her entire body including her hands, neck and her entire arms and legs.

I was immediately turned off and lost respect for her as a professional. I was afraid someone who made these choices in her appearance could not make logical decisions in the cutting of a clients hair.

What could I do, go back to the salon receptionist and say the lady they assigned me is too freaky looking?

I wonder if anyone else over forty was so turned off by the stylists appearance that they never returned. Does she know that her appearance is hurting her business and professionalism?

You are a guy, right? And older, right? What can possible go wrong with your $10 standard-old-dude-haircut?

Do you think just because the hair stylist likes to look different, she is ruining your conservative life with a crazy haircut you don't like? Very unrealistic.

I think you should be more open minded.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

I think you should be more open minded.
And stop finding every real or imagined speck on the sidewalk cause to start another new thread. She may well have given you one of the best short back and sides you've ever had but then nobody would ever know about it because that would be something positive and writing something positive would likely result in your suffering a severe bout of cramps.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
Does this topic really rate an exclamation point at the end of your subject line? No.

Perhaps the O.P. is suffering from a case of OldFartitis. Look for a stylist who decorates with a red striped pole out front.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
My stylist has tons of tattoos, a few piercings, and pink hair. She is the best stylist I've ever had, and that's saying something because I get frequent fancy, expensive treatments on my very thick, long, frizzy, wavy hair. It's strange how tattoos and piercings don't affect the operation of a stylist's haircutting and styling tools. It might even make them better stylists

Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I don't see what the stylist's choice about their own personal looks has to do with their ability to give someone a conservative hair-style cut.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't see what the stylist's choice about their own personal looks has to do with their ability to give someone a conservative hair-style cut.
It doesn't. OP is just looking for a way to sling mud at people with tattoos and piercings. He/she doesn't agree with self expression and wants to vent. OP should walk into a Floyds Barbershop franchise. They all are covered in tat's piercings, and colored hair. Best hair cuts I ever got.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
I know what you mean!!!
Every single time I scope out a potential place to get my hair cut, I never go the the straight laced helmet hair looking women, or un tatted, plain looking men.
Everytime I have chosen them my hair comes out so whacked, cookie cuter, plain jane, boring, disappointments.
I seek out the the very ones O.P. Is afraid of.
Everytime I have never been disappointed.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
It is that woman's choice if she wants to cover 70 of her body and face with tattoos but at a place that is part of a conservative chain of salons, many people are going to be turned off.

Here is what she looked like:

Facial Tattoo Design Women

Would someone like this be hired at a traditional business?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:33 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

** I understand that being a hair stylist is a creative endeavor so a few tasteful tattoos and piercings are fine in my opinion but she was over the top with 70% of her body (that I could see) covered in tattoos.
I think the whole situation says more about you than it does her. And it isn't good.

It's hair. If you don't want someone with bad hair cutting your hair, that's fine. Go somewhere else. Heck, I won't let anyone touch my head if they have awful-looking hair themselves. However, these were tattoos and piercings. They had nothing to do with her ability to cut or style hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care