Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Since you are so offended by not being "included" in the natural hair movement I'll start your official initiation...

1) What is your hair type on the Andre Walker hair type chart?
2) How long did you relax your hair before going back to natural?
3) When did you do your big chop?
4) What is your daily regimen?
5) Do you co-wash? How often?
6) Do you twist-out or bantu knot out?
7) Do you use the LOC method?
8) What is your protein regimen
9) Do you use the baggie method?
10) Are you CL, NL, SL, APL, MBL, BSB, WL, or HL?
Where did I say I was offended? Everyone's assuming I'm some white person offended by all of it. How are people even reading into that?

FWIW, I'm a 3a/b, co-wash 3x a week, have used a shower cap for years, am SL, have normal to low porosity so proteins are low use, ii, and chopped my hair twice due to damage and stress. No, my hair isn't kinky or tightly coiled.

Last edited by Vintage_girl; 08-08-2014 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Where did I say I was offended? Everyone's assuming I'm some white person offended by all of it. How are people even reading into that?

FWIW, I'm a 3a/b, co-wash 3x a week, have used a shower cap for years, am SL, have normal to low porosity so proteins are low use, ii, and chopped my hair twice due to damage and stress. No, my hair isn't kinky or tightly coiled.
The tone of your original post reads as offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
It's been a buzz around the internet lately. Some girl was featured on a website and it ticked off a bunch of people. The site's called CurlyNikki, where the majority of its visitors are black and they were upset when it featured a white woman.

To me, "natural hair" is rather inclusive. After I did some research, I began to see it's rather exclusive. I have curly hair, so I was surprised but it has to do a lot with the struggles black women have faced because of their hair. What I am trying to understand is how a movement to help people like their natural hair texture can be so exclusive, especially when people of all races have curly hair which is often difficult?

Anyone else heard of this? What are your thoughts?

No one is excluding anyone from the natural hair movement however black women's hair has been a politicized "issue" from the time of slavery and beyond. Laws were made that regulated how and if black women's hair could even be exposed....the Tignon Laws

This headdress was the result of sumptuary laws passed in 1785 under the administration of Governor Esteban Rodriguez Miró. Called the tignon laws, they prescribed and enforced appropriate public dress for female gens de couleur in colonial society. At this time in Louisiana history, women of color vied with white women in beauty, dress and manners. Many of them had become the placées (openly kept mistresses) of white, French, and Spanish Creole men. This incurred the jealousy and anger of their wives, mothers, sisters, daughters and fiancées. One complaint was that white men pursuing flirtations or liaisons sometimes mistook upper-class white women for light-skinned mixed-race women and accosted them in an improper manner.

To prevent this, Governor Miró decreed that women of color and black women, slave or free, should cover their hair and heads with a knotted headdress and refrain from "excessive attention to dress" to maintain class distinctions. But the women who were targets of this decree were inventive and imaginative. They decorated tignons with their jewels and ribbons, and used the finest available materials to wrap their hair. In other words, "[t]hey effectively re-interpreted the law without technically breaking the law"[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]1[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]—and they continued to be pursued by men.

The pressure for black women to conform to the beauty standards of white women centered around hair. Black women have been told for generations that our hair in its natural state (kinky/coily/curly/wavy) is not "presentable" so the natural hair movement is about far more than just sharing hair care tips its about finding the strength and courage to embrace who we are at our very essence starting with our crowning glory...our hair. And unless you have had a similar experience you can not fully relate to a black woman's natural hair journey. No one is excluding you from learning about our journey but you can not fully share our experience.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:

The pressure for black women to conform to the beauty standards of white women centered around hair. Black women have been told for generations that our hair in its natural state (kinky/coily/curly/wavy) is not "presentable" so the natural hair movement is about far more than just sharing hair care tips its about finding the strength and courage to embrace who we are at our very essence starting with our crowning glory...our hair. And unless you have had a similar experience you can not fully relate to a black woman's natural hair journey. No one is excluding you from learning about our journey but you can not fully share our experience.
I know I can't share your experience...because I'm not black. I interpreted "natural" to mean something else.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I saw a news segment about black women in the military and the styles of hair that are acceptable. Chemical straightening and wigs among them. WIGS!!! Yeah, I think it's way past time for the natural hair movement.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I saw a news segment about black women in the military and the styles of hair that are acceptable. Chemical straightening and wigs among them. WIGS!!! Yeah, I think it's way past time for the natural hair movement.
Yes, I've read a lot on that and it seems quite ridiculous. I don't understand how it's acceptable to wear weave (which adds MORE volume under a helmet), but wearing hair in twists or more than 2 braids bigger than 1/4 inch is unacceptable. The military argument is "we want conformity." Okay then, so make the rule the SAME for men and women. If you want conformity, make it uniform and don't add all sorts of weird rules for certain types of hair but not others. The Marine Corps Uniform Board is voting to allow changes to the hair rules, as not all women can wear their hair in micro-braids.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,819 times
Natural hair movement is just a fad & phase! One minute it's the hottest thing phenomena since sliced bread but then the next minute they'll be going back to their creamy hair crack & their Dominican hair salon pelu/peluquerias lmao!

For those that are dedicated to & sticking to their natural hair, kudos, congrats, & good luck & more props to them. It shows dedication, & determination!

Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Natural hair movement is just a fad & phase! One minute it's the hottest thing phenomena since sliced bread but then the next minute they'll be going back to their creamy hair crack & their Dominican hair salon pelu/peluquerias lmao!

For those that are dedicated to & sticking to their natural hair, kudos, congrats, & good luck & more props to them. It shows dedication, & determination!

The Dominicans are being accused of destroying people's hair by over straightening it, in addition in tougth times beauty shop expenses become hard to maintain. Weaves similarly damaging.

That is the real underlying reason for the "natural" hair movement.

BTW the Dominicans were a recent phenomenon, not an integral part of black female hair care as you suggest. The long dead straight hair was the fad. Even when black women straighten their hair its normally styled.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
The tone of your original post reads as offended.

No one is excluding anyone from the natural hair movement however black women's hair has been a politicized "issue" from the time of slavery and beyond. Laws were made that regulated how and if black women's hair could even be exposed....the Tignon Laws

This headdress was the result of sumptuary laws passed in 1785 under the administration of Governor Esteban Rodriguez Miró. Called the tignon laws, they prescribed and enforced appropriate public dress for female gens de couleur in colonial society. At this time in Louisiana history, women of color vied with white women in beauty, dress and manners. Many of them had become the placées (openly kept mistresses) of white, French, and Spanish Creole men. This incurred the jealousy and anger of their wives, mothers, sisters, daughters and fiancées. One complaint was that white men pursuing flirtations or liaisons sometimes mistook upper-class white women for light-skinned mixed-race women and accosted them in an improper manner.

To prevent this, Governor Miró decreed that women of color and black women, slave or free, should cover their hair and heads with a knotted headdress and refrain from "excessive attention to dress" to maintain class distinctions. But the women who were targets of this decree were inventive and imaginative. They decorated tignons with their jewels and ribbons, and used the finest available materials to wrap their hair. In other words, "[t]hey effectively re-interpreted the law without technically breaking the law"[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]1[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]—and they continued to be pursued by men.

Thanks for this post. I had never heard of the Tignon laws and now have learned something new! Not something I can often say about the Fashion and Beauty forum. So again, thanks for sharing!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post

Why the negativity and vitriol? What women do to their hair is a personal choice. Black women's hair always seems to draw negative comments from any and everyone. Yet no one seems to have such harsh criticisms against women who bleach the life out of their hair.

The negativity that black women face regarding our hair is one of the reasons that the natural hair movement has become so strong!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The Dominicans are being accused of destroying people's hair by over straightening it, in addition in tougth times beauty shop expenses become hard to maintain. Weaves similarly damaging.

That is the real underlying reason for the "natural" hair movement.

BTW the Dominicans were a recent phenomenon, not an integral part of black female hair care as you suggest. The long dead straight hair was the fad. Even when black women straighten their hair its normally styled.
Also, many Dominican salons/stylists have been accused of mixing chemical straighteners in conditioners without the client's knowledge and permanently straightening against the client's will.

A 'Relaxer + Conditioner' Cocktail- Beware! | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

Stylists Adding Relaxers to Conditioners on Natural Hair Clients?? | Black Girl with Long Hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care