Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
It's been a buzz around the internet lately. Some girl was featured on a website and it ticked off a bunch of people. The site's called CurlyNikki, where the majority of its visitors are black and they were upset when it featured a white woman.

To me, "natural hair" is rather inclusive. After I did some research, I began to see it's rather exclusive. I have curly hair, so I was surprised but it has to do a lot with the struggles black women have faced because of their hair. What I am trying to understand is how a movement to help people like their natural hair texture can be so exclusive, especially when people of all races have curly hair which is often difficult?

Anyone else heard of this? What are your thoughts?
Because white curly hair is way different than black curly hair. Why would I, as a white & curly, want to barge in on a movement meant for black hair? It wouldn't mean anything to me, and their ideas and tips wouldn't help me.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
WHY does everyone keep making this a white vs. black racial issue? My gosh. I'm reading this thread and people act like I came barging in telling AA women they can't have this or that. I'm not white (for the THIRD time), but it doesn't mean I don't have a perspective. Are people allowed to have one?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:46 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
You made it about race when you complained that the movement was exclusive of other races. It doesn't matter what race you are.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times
Quote:
WHY does everyone keep making this a white vs. black racial issue? My gosh. I'm reading this thread and people act like I came barging in telling AA women they can't have this or that. I'm not white (for the THIRD time), but it doesn't mean I don't have a perspective. Are people allowed to have one?
The fact that you keep asking why this is about white vs black shows you aren't getting it.

Black hair is completely different (for the most part) from white, Asian, Indian, Middle eastern hair etc. Even for those groups who do have curly hair, the texture is DIFFERENT.

Again, you don't see articles on little white/Latino/Asian/Indian/Middle eastern kids being suspended from school from wearing the hair that grows out of their head.

You won't see people comparing their hair to pubic hair.

You won't see people flip flopping and the vilifying them for wearing extensions or weave (despite the fact that many Asian/Latin/white women do).

Or them losing their jobs for defending the natural state their hair is in.

Curly girls have the curly girl method (which sure, black women can follow as well if they please), but to think that white/latin/Indian/middle eastern women with curly hair can somehow related to the struggles black women face both in the black community and in the "white community" (work, school, life in general) is ridiculous.

And if you don't understand the role relaxers have played in the black community and why this whole idea of "good hair" exists, then you have no business even remotely questioning why white girls can't join in the movement.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
Quote:
Hi Op... I'm black with natural hair. It's often hard to have a conversation about the Natural Hair Movement because most of the ladies (in my opinion and experience) are very defensive about their hair and the movement in general. It's very hard to have a convo on the internet about it, as I'm sure you can tell now. My advice, talk to a black friend or co-worker (in real life, not on the boards, lol) about your question. They will be more in tune with your curiosity in person than people will be on this board. Frankly, as much as I and my other natural friends love our hair, we stop reading the internet boards because of how crazy defensive people can be. We'll check out a story and share it, but we stay out of the comments and the boards.

I just happen to see your questions and wanted to see if City Data was any different but it doesn't look like it.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Because it isn't really about hair, or at least not entirely about hair. It is a movement within the black community that if you haven't lived in that culture, you wouldn't really be able to understand.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
Hi Op... I'm black with natural hair. It's often hard to have a conversation about the Natural Hair Movement because most of the ladies (in my opinion and experience) are very defensive about their hair and the movement in general. It's very hard to have a convo on the internet about it, as I'm sure you can tell now. My advice, talk to a black friend or co-worker (in real life, not on the boards, lol) about your question. They will be more in tune with your curiosity in person than people will be on this board. Frankly, as much as I and my other natural friends love our hair, we stop reading the internet boards because of how crazy defensive people can be. We'll check out a story and share it, but we stay out of the comments and the boards.

I just happen to see your questions and wanted to see if City Data was any different but it doesn't look like it.
Yup, you're right about that!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Here's a little suggestion for you OP. Why don't you join a few "natural" hair care boards or watch a few YT videos to educate yourself on the issues that we discuss. No one is stopping you from learning more about the movement. We are not excluding anyone based on their race/ethnicity but it is obvious that you do not share our experience. There are non-black women who are a part of the movement who have black or biracial daughters; these women want to educate themselves on the proper care of their daughters hair. These non-black women also have more than just a passing curiosity.

If you care this much about the natural hair movement then you would seek out the abundance of knowledge that is out there instead of creating a random thread complaining about your perceived exclusion from a movement in which you have virtually no connection.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 AM

223 posts, read 300,166 times
Default Natural Hair Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
See? This is why Naturallycurly.com was created. For women like you and others to discuss your curly hair struggles. Honestly, until that board, I had no idea you guys were having "issues". It was a great learning experience, but nowhere NEAR what black women had to go through.
Thanks, Marilyn. I'll check out Naturallycurly.com.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
"natural" is what us oldsters call our grey too. It's not a copyrighted term used only by a specific race. Maybe there aren't websites devoted to it using that word but, jesus, natural is a term anyone can use without diminishing it's meaning to someone else. Why even bicker about that?

I think the majority of people are going to know who/what is being discussed when using the term by reading the first sentence or seeing who is doing the talking. There is no confusion here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care