U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,168,587 times

Advertisements

The darkest I go is Brown-Black (Revlon Colorsilk; #20). That's a really pretty color. It's the darkest brown you could go without going black.

So, if you wanted to go darker, how dark would YOU go??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,060,118 times
Hair that gets too dark tends to look goth or fake, so one needs to be careful.

Last edited by GreenMachine; 01-03-2008 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM

290 posts, read 984,823 times
I would LOVE to go as dark as Catherine Zeta Jones, Jennifer Connelly or Liz Taylor (goddesses, all of them!), but upkeep is a real PITA, and I think with my olive skin tone and light eyes, it would be a little too dark. But I have always fantasized about being one of those real raven-haired vixens!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
The darkest I go is Brown-Black (Revlon Colorsilk; #20). That's a really pretty color. It's the darkest brown you could go without going black.

So, if you wanted to go darker, how dark would YOU go??
My hair is naturally this color. I have very fair skin, and dark green eyes, and have been thinking about lightening my hair now that 46 has me in its sights. My mom has same general coloring, and has always said that when one gets older, ya gotta lighten up the hair a bit, it gets too harsh.
-sigh- one more doggone thing to maintain, and gravity is starting to kick in!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
My hair is also a very dark brown/black. I've had it dyed black at the salon for competitions and it's a great look out on a ballroom floor, but a little too harsh for me to sport as an everyday look.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 AM

395 posts, read 1,792,329 times
Since I'm blonde, about the darkest I would ever go would be a strawberry blonde. But I don't think I'd ever really do it.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,303,749 times
I have auburn hair and fair skin. I agree when you get older you need some lightness. I dont want to go all the way. Too much maintenance. So I have several shades of lighter auburn stripes added at the salon. Then I use a six week color to keep it fresh and make sure my skunk stripe stays covered up. I have accidently gotten it too dark. Not flattering at ALL..
Lucky for me six week color washes out.

Guys and gals who color their hair. This works for me if you want to give it a try. As you know color fades. So instead of doing permanent color I use Clairol Loving Care six week color. Only I dont do it every six weeks. I do it every time I shampoo. I use a small amount and just leave it on for 5 minutes. Wash some out . Put some back. I never have "roots" or end build up. And its better for your hair no peroxide etc. I dont wash my hair every day so youll need to figure out youre own schedule. Also this is maintenance so you need to get your color you want first.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My hair is naturally this color. I have very fair skin, and dark green eyes, and have been thinking about lightening my hair now that 46 has me in its sights. My mom has same general coloring, and has always said that when one gets older, ya gotta lighten up the hair a bit, it gets too harsh.
-sigh- one more doggone thing to maintain, and gravity is starting to kick in!
I agree with your mother, when I was young I had black black hair, now it's a medium brown and I think it looks much more natural and makes me look younger. I also have green eyes and light skin.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 AM

69 posts, read 275,472 times
Well I have really dark hair right now, but what I like to do is when I have it a brownish black I like to put a couple thin highlights of either caramelly blonde or red. Luckily for me my hair takes really well to color...though it doesn't like to go blonde! haha I work at a salon and am always changing my hair color, though I've slowed down after having what we call a "chemical cut" lol but right now I have what you could call a Heinz 57 of colors...pretty much mixed a bunch of the level 3 and 4 colors of Redken Shades EQ, and then add a very small, drizzle of an amount of Onyx (1B) from Redken Shades EQ and slap it on my hair with a few blonde highlights using Vario bleach. Though I'm moving to Florida in 24 days so I think I might add some more blonde highlights to make me feel more sunny hehe

Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree with your mother, when I was young I had black black hair, now it's a medium brown and I think it looks much more natural and makes me look younger. I also have green eyes and light skin.
Really thinking of doing the same, do you have any problems with the skunk stripe thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or