Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

One of the culprits of color fading is the heat from the blow dryer. That's why you should use a protective spray before blow drying if your hair is colored. Paul Mitchell has a good one with sunscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think they mean that folks who had dark brown or black hair in their youth should go a bit lighter when they get older and color their hair. We've all seen the sad result when some old lady dyes her hair jet black (note to Cher, hello?). It looks much too hard.
Conversely, when older women have a too light a blond color and their hair is the same color as their skin, it looks too washed out.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think they mean that folks who had dark brown or black hair in their youth should go a bit lighter when they get older and color their hair. We've all seen the sad result when some old lady dyes her hair jet black (note to Cher, hello?). It looks much too hard.
Conversely, when older women have a too light a blond color and their hair is the same color as their skin, it looks too washed out.
, yes, thats what I was trying to say!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Yes I agree. I also think you need to take your skin tone into consideration. Not everybody can wear every color no matter how young or old they are. Ive seen gorgeous hair from the back but when that person turns around the color is totally wrong and makes them look like Hell.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Another red head here. I am thinking of blonde highlights to ease up on maintenence. Someone mentioned only having it done twice a year. I touch up my now greying roots every 3-4 weeks.Too much. I have always been complimented on my long red hair, but now that I'm older, its tooooo much work for beauty !!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Another red head here. I am thinking of blonde highlights to ease up on maintenence. Someone mentioned only having it done twice a year. I touch up my now greying roots every 3-4 weeks.Too much. I have always been complimented on my long red hair, but now that I'm older, its tooooo much work for beauty !!
Please dont give up your red hair. I bet its gorgeous. That was me on the twice a year but I was talking about adding high lights not color. At 58 mines not graying but its fading. Its still red but it lacks oomph. So I stripe it and brighten it up with 6 week color.

If youre coloring every 3-4 weeks you really need to try my 6 week color deal. First you leave it in the full time till you get the color you want. Some will rinse out the next time you shampoo. Use a big dab of color but not the whole bottle. Work it thru with your creme rinse and leave it in 5 mins +/-. Just enuf to put back what you washed out. Repeat each time you shampoo. One bottle lasts me 5 or 6 shampoos.

I always get lots of compliments on my hair. Hey. I might be a fat old broad but I got great hair color.
BTW. I envy you your long hair. Im trying to grow mine long and its taking its sweet old time.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Great tip Cecilia ! I just thought I would add some highlights as at my age (I'm right behind ya kid ) I am not fooling anyone with my "no grey' look.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM

22 posts, read 98,360 times
The reason for going lighter after you gray, if you are going to color, is so it isn't so difficult to keep up with the graying process and so it is less frustrating to you. I have been graying since I was 21, was solid gray by late 30's. I now have silver hair when I keep it that way. The only problem is that gray has a mind of it's own - that is why originally there were little ladies with blue or pink hair; they used rinses to control their hair. My stylist now is going toward the strawberry blonde with streaks to help the gray coming in to be less noticeable.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Yes. It's so monochromatic, as if you are a ghost or something.
Older women with darkly tanned faces and pale blonde hair can look bizarre, too.
I guess it all depends on whether or not you care about looking natural.
Pink hair on a 19 year old isn't natural, either, but I don't have a huge problem with that.
My mom, a brunette, was a twin. When the grey began to come in, my mom let it, while her sister always colored her hair. Both of them looked okay.
But I, a 53-year-old "dirty" blonde these days, am going with my mom's salt-and-pepper look, with highlights a few times a year. I am trying to get away from highlights, though, because my hair bleaches out so much during the summer--and I just don't want to spend the money.
I'd like to get back to the same kind of maintenance I had as a kid: nada.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 AM

Older women with dark tans and light blonde hair -now add varicose veins,little golf shorts and I'm thinking Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care