Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 96,777 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So, i have this huge problem with removing my permanently dyed red hair and i was hoping to get some advice here. I have been trying to get rid of my dyed red hair for a while now and its becoming a little urgent as school is starting in less than a week and we are not allowed dyed hair. I need some help/info on how to get rid of the red please!

Here is my hair history as stated below :I have mostly been using Loreal hair dyes

2013 - Dyed hair red with ruby red, dyed over it a couple weeks later with mahogany brown.

2014 - Dyed hair with directions semi permanent plum, covered it two weeks later with spicy red followed by another go at mahogany brown. Sometime in Nov, i dyed it twice with Loreal hicolour highlights magenta and it went a vibrant red with pink undertones. (This is the point where i start trying to remove the red) I dyed it over with a semi permanent by Loreal in mocha dark brown but no visible results. Tried manic panic raven black, Faceshop wine brown in a desperate attempt to cover up but still to no avail. At this point my hair had turned into a disgusting shade of rusty red and my roots were orange. I panicked and dyed it over with a violet red (worse decision ever). The color became a dark red with some purple undertones.

2015 - Since jan, i have dyed it again with olia iced chocolate. The red was somewhat subdued by the brown but still peeked through rather obviously. Just yesterday, after doing some research on the internet, i dyed it with a nude ash brown. It did not really neutralize the color much and my hair still remains an obvious red.

I have tried washing it with baking soda, vitamin c pills and sulfate shampoos but the red is so stubborn!

Even though i have dyed my hair like 23214322 times, it isn't as fried as i would think it would be as i have been conditioning it with lots of stuff and i don't use heat tools.

I have been considering using bleach (Either 20 vol or a bleach bath) as a last resort as sch is starting real soon and having colored hair would mean demerit points straight away but i really don't wish to damage my hair any further.

I really appreciate any guidance or advice, thank you for taking the time to read this extremely wordy post. Cheers!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,648,107 times
These are the two options I see

1. Call the number from Loreal and ask them what to do. I dyed my hair a horrid color once and they made a recommendation of using a certain color to make my hair look nicer. It worked.

2. Go to a salon and a pay for a professional to strip it out of your hair.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM

19,603 posts, read 20,051,089 times
'Color Oops' works pretty great. I used it after a major coloring mishap years ago.. It will remove many processes and leave your hair a funky awful color, so *be prepared to dye again with the brown color you want.* (I did both processes in one day- great results) It's around $10 and sold in the hair dye section at places like CVS, Target, Wal-mart, etc..

Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
I would do a bleach cap, or else a mix of baking soda, developer and shampoo. Then use a protein filler. Last, dye over your hair with a brown shade with cool tones (ash brown or something like that, not something with warm, chocolate, wine, etc in the name). Don't skip the protein filler, that will help your hair be an even shade from roots to ends.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:51 AM

688 posts, read 966,591 times
I feel your pain. Red shades are the worst, and they just seem to cling on forever. But, honestly, if I were you I would spring for a professional fix, at this point. You've done quite a bit to compromise the integrity of your hair and, though it's holding up well now, down the road you will notice textural and volume changes from so many corrections.

A good, responsible professional should never attempt to strip your hair, in my opinion. That can be incredibly damaging. Instead, they should apply a toner/semi-permanent combo which will really help. And though you've tried the semi-permanent dyes at home, a good colorist will be able to apply this more effectively. You'll need to wash your hair more infrequently during this time, as these corrections will wash out. You'll also need to go back regularly to repeat the process.

After a couple of months, you should start to notice permanent improvement, as your hair starts to absorb the new color applications. The colorist may also suggest using a good (brown) colored shampoo to extend coverage during the transition.

Best of luck, I've been there....it's incredibly frustrating.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,938,478 times
Color Oops gets my vote.. I've used it.

The color your left with will be your natural color that's been bleached countless of times.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:41 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,688,105 times
I agree with those who said to go see a professional hair colorist. You have multiple processes on it and at this point, it could be seriously damaged. A colorist will help you fix the color problem AND apply conditioners to help repair some of the damage and reduce breakage. ( I speak from experience )

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,223,501 times
As a former H/D, permanent hair color is just that permanent. You have many different shades that have been permanently absorbed into your hair shaft. Your hair is already damaged. Go to a Professional that does corrective color. She/he will then rec. intensive conditioners.

The problem in using over the counter hair products all have a disclaimer on them protecting themselves saying "to be used by Professional H/D".

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 AM

15,579 posts, read 10,292,436 times
I once got a terrible dye job, auburn red. The color was professionally stripped. While the result was a corrected hair color, the stripping process dried my hair into straw. Unfortunately, growing the damaged hair out and cutting it off as it grew was the only true fix.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:19 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,701,080 times
Vitamin C tablets mixed with a clarifying shampoo. Leave on for about an hour your color should lift significantly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care