Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:15 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I used Clairol Grey Buster permanent haircolor (have used this product for 4 years). This is the first time I've had an allergic reaction--itchy red spots on the back of my head. The folks at 1-800 Clairol were very helpful but bottom line is that they recommend not using any hair color products at all but to see my doctor to get tested to see which ingredients I'm sensitive to (I probably won't do this as no way will Medicare cover this one ). My partly grey hair is an ugly shade so I color it. Anyone else here have to stop using haircolor due to a reaction? Did you just live with your ugly color? Wear wigs? What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 03:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I'm in the same boat, and it's a recent thing for me too. More magazine ran an article that said as you get older the skin on your scalp thins, and your become more susceptible to reactions. They recommended that you add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the dye. I haven't tried it yet. Before I began doing it at home, my colorist used to add a packet of Sweet and Low to the dye. I don't know what the connection is, but it really did make a difference in my case.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
You can try the gentler hair colors that aren't permanent. I also think there's a "natural" brand out there. Take a look at your drugstore, or at specialty haircare supply shops. You might also discuss your options with a good hairdresser (i.e. the business owner). Some of them are surprisingly well-educated about the science and physiology of hair, scalp, hormones, etc.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can try the gentler hair colors that aren't permanent. I also think there's a "natural" brand out there. Take a look at your drugstore, or at specialty haircare supply shops. You might also discuss your options with a good hairdresser (i.e. the business owner). Some of them are surprisingly well-educated about the science and physiology of hair, scalp, hormones, etc.
Ah, the joys of getting older, eh? Your comment,Mattie, about the scalp thinning made sense. Clairol told me to stop using all hair color products. The allergic reactions can become even more severe, even to the point of anaphylactic shock, when continuing to use the haircolor. I'm looking into the natural hair color product "EcoColors" and posted a thread about it. Good advice you had about consulting my hairdresser--I have a new one and she is also the shop manager so she may have suggestions.

Last edited by Townandcountrygal; 01-17-2015 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Error in text

Old 01-17-2015, 10:49 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
It happened to me when I was in my 30's but was from a two-process bleach/toner procedure. I guess that's what they called it. Blisters and sores all over my head. So I went to all-over highlights from that point on and that's been fine for the 30 years since. Since product never touches my scalp, it hasn't triggered any issues. I'm allergic to many chemicals, substances, foods, etc. (to the point of anaphylaxis to food, twice) so don't want to push my luck. Although I do blond highlights (was a towhead as a kid, so it works for me), perhaps a hairdresser could put in an appropriate-for-you color via the foil method. I also have to be very careful as to which shampoos and conditioners I use as they can trigger an allergic reaction too. With me, it seems that once I'm sensitized to something, my body goes on high alert for the next similar substance. So keep that in mind too. Good luck.

Last edited by movinon; 01-17-2015 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
It happened to me when I was in my 30's but was from a two-process bleach/toner procedure. I guess that's what they called it. Blisters and sores all over my head. So I went to all-over highlights from that point on and that's been fine for the 30 years since. Since product never touches my scalp, it hasn't triggered any issues. I'm allergic to many chemicals, substances, foods, etc. (to the point of anaphylaxis to food, twice) so don't want to push my luck. Although I do blond highlights (was a towhead as a kid, so it works for me), perhaps a hairdresser could put in an appropriate-for-you color via the foil method. I also have to be very careful as to which shampoos and conditioners I use as they can trigger an allergic reaction too. With me, it seems that once I'm sensitized to something, my body goes on high alert for the next similar substance. So keep that in mind too. Good luck.

The blisters and sores must have been so painful for you! Good suggestion about the foil highlights. Read elsewhere, too, that this is a good option. I used to have foils done but now, being retired, I cannot afford to go to a salon so I'm limited to home coloring--or going au-natural.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:06 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My scalp blew up about 15 years ago after getting my hair colored and highlighted with the same stuff the salon always used. Looking back I did have some warning because I noticed it burned a little once and the next time it burned a little and my scalp felt really tight afterwards. The third time I ended up at the Dr's and on antibiotics because the glands on my scalp swelled up. I didn't even know there were glands on my scalp!

I went off for a few years using Surya Henna to keep some color on and then I did an at home test with a drugstore brand and didn't react so I did that for a year or so and finally went to a different salon and used a different brand of dye. That worked out for a few years until I started getting the "tight scalp" feeling once more, and a little rash around the hairline, so I quit and have been using the henna again for the last year. It's not ideal but I've since gone 100% grey and can't face the look or the grow out.

I'm going to go back to the salon and ask for the foil/color process, using a lighter color than I used to, that will give me some tone and still let some of my grey come in for a less jarring transition. When I keep the chemical off my scalp I don't have a problem.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
It happened to my sister in her 20's (we get gray very young in our family). She got very ill...her eyes & lips & entire face swelled up. She never used hair dye again, but switched to henna & then just stopped coloring altogether when gray turned to white & henna made very weird colors. I'm still coloring & no problems yet, but I'm really weary of the process...I just don't know how to "grow out" the color without looking like a skunk!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My mother's face got so swollen, you couldn't see her eyes.
She had to go on steroids.
I keep telling her to quit coloring her hair.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I thought that nowadays people understood how dangerous most hair dyes are.... Ive had a chemical intolerance for almost 50 years now and it started with chemicals I used in the printing factory where I worked... even when I had to leave the workplace because of how ill I was becoming, other things like furniture polishes.. window cleaning fluid, started to make me feel the same way... with nausea.. and other symptoms.... once youve become allergic with one thing it usually multiplies over time... then after years some perfumes started causing the problem, then all perfumes, then makeup. hair products. face creams, petrol.. paint in fact everything thats petrol chemical based... please have a read about hair dyes before you go ahead and use them again...The condition is called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.. but to me its just toxic overload and cant be cured .. so please be careful of what you put on your skin or inhale... and watch what you put near your eyes too.. as toxins travel quickly through eyes too ... I am a volunteer support for Allergy UK to try and guide others on avoidance of these substances and they all should be more heavily regulated.. and warnings placed like cigarettes as hazardous to health. I worked in a photo litho dept. devoloping plates for four weeks and this same stuff was used as well as in hair dyes. Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is a chemical substance that is widely used as a permanent hair dye. It may also been found in textile or fur dyes, dark coloured cosmetics, temporary tattoos, photographic developer and lithography plates, photocopying and printing inks, black rubber, oils, greases and gasoline.
Reactions to Hair Dye - Allergy UK

http://news.health.com/2014/07/25/th...to-know-about/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care