Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

She is 12 years old. Up until she was about 8 or 9 she had silky shiny hair like most Asian women (like my other Asian daughters) but for the last few years her hair is thick and wiry and coarse. (She is healthy.0 It's still thick and shiny but it is causing her problems with hair care.

She really likes to wear it short as she isn't into much primping. When it is short she looks a real mess every morning- like her head exploded! So, at my suggestion, she is letting it grow out. Now shaggy over her collar. She shampoos and uses conditioner every morning (Pantene) but it is still coarse and now it looks like her head exploded overnight but with longer hair. Her beautician is Vietnamese as well and said her hair is not that unusual. I like her beautician and she is willing to work with us to get the best cut and care.

Anybody have any suggestions? Will letting it grow out tame it down some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 12:31 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I asked my girlfriend (Chinese), and she said that her hair was like that for awhile when she was a kid. It went straight again in her teens, and now she has typical, straight, silky Asian hair. She suggested trying a different shampoo/conditioner; she cant recommend anything since she doesn't know US brands, but Herbal Essences has a wide variety for different hair types.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Get an ion straightening. Many of my female friends also had the same problem when we were around that age and they all did it.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Get an ion straightening. Many of my female friends also had the same problem when we were around that age and they all did it.
I'm guessing this has to be done continually once one starts? So this is not a unique problem? Interesting.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Yeah it has to be done continually. I think they have been doing it for years, like they have to return to salon once a year in case the curls grow back.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Try some Argan Oil. How's her scalp? Dry or oily? Any dandruff issues?

My kids are half Asian. Son has super long curly hair. Yep. Curly. Daughter has silky, straight hair that is very thick!

Son did go through a wiry/coarse phase in junior high. He'd grown out of it by age 15.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Try some Argan Oil. How's her scalp? Dry or oily? Any dandruff issues?

My kids are half Asian. Son has super long curly hair. Yep. Curly. Daughter has silky, straight hair that is very thick!

Son did go through a wiry/coarse phase in junior high. He'd grown out of it by age 15.
She doesn't have any scalp issues at all but my other Vietnamese daughter has a really stinky scalp. We've tried medicated shampoos, apple cider vinegar and some other things I found on the internet. However her hair is silky and shiny and beautiful and always has been.

I'm blown away that hair texture can change throughout life. Never realized this happens. I've never heard of caucasians complain about that.

Now wondering if stinky scalp is an Asian issue?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm blown away that hair texture can change throughout life. Never realized this happens. I've never heard of caucasians complain about that.
Really? When I was a kid, up until I was maybe 12 or 13, I had wavy, light blonde hair. As I grew up, it got darker, then reddish, and started to get curly on top but stayed wavy on the sides... my sisters both have had similar changes. It has to do with hormonal changes over the years.

Quote:
Haha, I don't know. I teach kids here and none of them have ever seemed particularly stinky to me. I asked my girlfriend, she laughed, shook her head and said, "no, no, no! I've never had a smelly scalp" though she's obviously somewhat biased. On the other hand, my littlest sister had a *really smelly head* when she was a baby... we would laugh about it.

At the risk of being labeled horrible things, though, I've noticed that the hair of the Asian gals I've dated in the past does smell different from the white girls I've dated. Not in a bad or good way, it just smells differently... and for sure, each one of them smelled differently, but they were somewhat similar. It may be due to different oils, etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She doesn't have any scalp issues at all but my other Vietnamese daughter has a really stinky scalp. We've tried medicated shampoos, apple cider vinegar and some other things I found on the internet. However her hair is silky and shiny and beautiful and always has been.

The smelly scalp issues is probably related to sweat. That's my guess.

My hair texture has changed. I have much curlier hair now than I had before I ever had children. Crazy, eh?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 AM

she washes her hair every morning but by the time she gets home from school her scalp is stinky again. i think it must be yeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care