Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:59 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times

Advertisements

I have shoulder length hair.
I always have had split ends. I can see them if I look at the end of my hair.
I do get hair cuts.
I do not heat style in any way.
I do not use products.
I comb twice daily with wide toothed comb.
I shampoo with organic/vegan hippie shampoo every 3rd day and condition in between washes.
I have tried using a leave in conditioner.

Thoughts on what else to try--I have thought about no towels for hair and satin pillowcases but that seems a bit excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM

466 posts, read 581,069 times
My hair became dry, brittle, broke, lost shine and was generally yuk but it was caused by exposure to radiotherapy. My hairdresser told me I needed to have all the split ends and brittle ends cut off. She suggested I use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. Started in December 2014 and still use is today alongside my everyday Australian Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner. I use it for one week in every six although I do use the argan oil leave in treatment after every shampoo as this protects my hair from any heat damage because I do use a hair dryer and a heat styling tool. I am convinced it is the argan oil that has saved my hair because now it is very shiny, easy to manage and shows no signs of heat damage at all.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
In my experience it happens when you wait too long between trims.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:52 AM

175 posts, read 366,213 times
I have always had them too. A while ago I decided I wanted to grow my hair very long. But this is hard with the hair breaking so easily. So I did some research and tried a bunch of things. They are working, I have almost no splits these days. Problem is, I don't know which of these is actually doing it, or if it is a combination of all.

1) Protective styles at night. I braid in 2 side braids before going to bed. This keeps the hair from rubbing against the pillow. Honestly, I think this has been the most beneficial.

2) Henna. It coats the hair and protects it from damage. And makes it glossy and RED (I have dark hair so you can only see the color in the sun, but I love it).

3) Oil the ends first if I'm going to use shampoo.

My hair is fine, but there is a lot of it. I never heat style, and rarely trim it.

Today, I noticed a few splits here and there, but I have been slacking on the braids at night. Still, a couple years ago, my whole head would have been covered in split ends by now.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 22,975 times
I think that getting regular hair cuts is super important, a few hairstylists have emphasized that to me, and it definitely makes a difference. For example, when I went about 4 months without a haircut because I was trying to grow it out long, I had at least an inch of split ends. When I went back 6 weeks from then, my stylist said that there was a lot of improvement in my hair's health, he didn't have to cut as much off and there were a lot less split ends.

Also, when you use a masque such as a conditioning masque, make sure to put it on at the ends and leave it on for a few minutes to let it soak in. If you do bleach or color your hair, make sure the person who is doing it isn't overdoing or over processing the chemical.

Take care and good luck!

Amy

Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I would also think about your diet- food and liquid intake. What you eat can affect your hair. I almost never get split ends now, and I wash twice a week and use a straightener twice a week. My hair is naturally thick, coarse/dry, and curly (big curls, more like waves when my hair gets long and heavy enough). My diet has improved and I think that made a difference. I trip every month to two months, so that certainly may impact it as well, but I never see split ends- not even before I cut.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
More frequent trimming may help.

My hair seldom splits, even when I go a long time between cuts, personally.

Some hair textures, types, moisture levels, etc. are more prone to split ends than others. Even when I go a long time between cuts, I don't typicaly get a lot of split ends. My stylist is always amazed, saying, "Wow, since last time I saw you, this should be much worse!" I use moisturizing conditioners, and seldom do heat styling, which helps keep my hair from drying out. I'm sure this helps.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:31 AM

466 posts, read 581,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
More frequent trimming may help.

My hair seldom splits, even when I go a long time between cuts, personally.

Some hair textures, types, moisture levels, etc. are more prone to split ends than others. Even when I go a long time between cuts, I don't typically get a lot of split ends. My stylist is always amazed, saying, "Wow, since last time I saw you, this should be much worse!" I use moisturizing conditioners, and seldom do heat styling, which helps keep my hair from drying out. I'm sure this helps.
I also trim my hair regularly, approx every 6 weeks. Very interesting what you mentioned about hair textures, I never thought of that. Mine is coarse Asian hair. Last December on my hairdresser's instructions I started using Pro Naturals, a hair repair system. I follow their regime of one week in every six and for the other five weeks I use my drugstore shampoo, currently Optima Tea Tree shampoo & conditioner. The only difference is that I use the Moroccan argan oil leave in treatment after every shampoo day. The argan oil acts as a heat protectant, so no heat damage or split ends. Mind you I use my hairdryer on a cool setting and restrict my styling iron to no more than 300F. By applying the argan oil to damp hair it seals in the moisture. This works well for me.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:39 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
I have shoulder length hair.
I always have had split ends. I can see them if I look at the end of my hair.
I do get hair cuts.
I do not heat style in any way.
I do not use products.
I comb twice daily with wide toothed comb.
I shampoo with organic/vegan hippie shampoo every 3rd day and condition in between washes.
I have tried using a leave in conditioner.

Thoughts on what else to try--I have thought about no towels for hair and satin pillowcases but that seems a bit excessive.
Hair breaks, it just does. You cant mend split ends they have to be cut away. What I recommend doing is getting micro trims 1x per month if you can. Basically you take off ¼ to ½ of an inch of hair monthly or every other month. With a micro trim you should see very little hair on the ground.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Never, ever brush wet hair....use a comb...and don't rip at tangles! Some hair is simply prone to "splitting'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care