Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:59 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times

Advertisements

I'm going on a cruise next month, and my hair has become prematurely grey. I rarely dye it much anymore, but I want to get it done before the cruise because it's long, black, and I don't like the way it looks with so many grey streaks. I dyed it for a long time at home but my hair seems resistant to chemical treatments, and the last keratin treatment I had didn't stay in well at all. Additionally, my home hair color doesn't last long at all anymore. Before I pony up the dough to go to a pro, I'd like to get your opinions. Is going to a pro better? Is their hair color a stronger formula than the home stuff? Does it last longer? Or should I just do it at home and call it good? FYI, my hair is almost waist length, about 1/4 grey, extremely coarse, thick, wavy, and frizzy, dark brown to black in color, and I'm wanting to go blue black, which is about its natural color at the ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,250 times
Go pro. It is pricey but it was last longer.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:13 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
They have more experience at covering the grey, and can do a better job of it. Consider, though, getting something a little lighter than blue-black. That might be too stark for your complexion at this stage. As one ages, one's complexion changes, so that it doesn't always go well with one's former hair color. If you find a good colorist, she should be able to discuss that with you knowledgeably.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
Go pro.

I colour my own hair but I've been doing it for years.

I would never attempt such a drastic change at home.

Afterward however, you can learn to touch it up yourself, which will save you hundreds a year.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:24 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Go pro.

I colour my own hair but I've been doing it for years.

I would never attempt such a drastic change at home.

Afterward however, you can learn to touch it up yourself, which will save you hundreds a year.
It's not really a drastic change. I've done it in blue black every time, and it looks very natural with my dark skin. It makes sense to go to the pros, however. With my hair so long, I always miss some spots, and my wife even when misses areas when she does it for me. This is a pic of me in its usual length. Sorry about the blur, but I couldn't find any clear pics with my hair down.
Attached Thumbnails
Is professional hair color better than home color?-img094.jpg  

Old 10-22-2015, 02:52 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm going on a cruise next month, and my hair has become prematurely grey. I rarely dye it much anymore, but I want to get it done before the cruise because it's long, black, and I don't like the way it looks with so many grey streaks. I dyed it for a long time at home but my hair seems resistant to chemical treatments, and the last keratin treatment I had didn't stay in well at all. Additionally, my home hair color doesn't last long at all anymore. Before I pony up the dough to go to a pro, I'd like to get your opinions. Is going to a pro better? Is their hair color a stronger formula than the home stuff? Does it last longer? Or should I just do it at home and call it good? FYI, my hair is almost waist length, about 1/4 grey, extremely coarse, thick, wavy, and frizzy, dark brown to black in color, and I'm wanting to go blue black, which is about its natural color at the ends.
Read up/search in the Hair Care sub-forum.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:15 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,461 times
I just got my hair professionally colored and highlighted today. I bought some box color and then remembered how much it damages my hair every time I try to do it myself, so I sucked it up and made an appointment. I have long hair, too, and the ends always seem to suck up all the color and get dried out. If you're not getting highlights, lowlights, etc. I think you could have it done fairly economically.

You're very lovely, by the way.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:34 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't think it will last longer, but the color will be nicer. Your hair grows out at about 1/2 inch a month (just an average) and the kind of hair color you use won't change that. I have naturally blonde hair, with gray in the front, and my hair color is easy to let go a bit as the blonde and gray are not so far off from each other. But black and gray? Not so much. I had my hair colored dark brown once, and the color difference was so quick to grow out, I said never again. I dunno...I mean, it's probably worth spending the dough, just to try it. Especially if you never have had it done at a salon before.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:41 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,685 times
I got hives on my scalp with every single hair color I've tried except Natural Instincts. I have been told I have an allergy (obviously).

My hair came out like straw and broke off when I had my hair professionally colored. That was the only time I used a pro.

I get decent results from the color I use at home. I'd prefer lowlights and highlights, but I can do w/o the hives and the bill.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,980,478 times
Very pretty Scooby-
With that long of hair, cough up the cash and go pro. Your going to look great on your cruise.
I've always noticed salon color lasts longer, and it doesn't bleed out like box color.
I have a pixie blue black hair cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care