Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 07:49 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
UPDATE: My hair is about two inches of silver grown out now, and it is not frizzy at all - it is just like my normal hair, very silky fine and super shiny! In the sun it is almost blinding! I love it, and everyone who sees me who hasn't seen me in awhile says how GREAT I look and that it makes me look younger. My husband tells me that over and over, too. It really is a myth that gray/silver/white makes one look older - it does not. It is just a color. If it is healthy, shiny and in an attractive style it is often way more flattering.

I just can't wait until mine is all grown out!
Lucky you.....glad it's worked in your favor. I love silver hair, but it's really not a myth about making some people look older. I wanted to let my hair go gray but found it gave me a washed out appearance I hated. It definitely aged me, and with my coloring, gray/silver hair isn't for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I'm glad to know that some of us older women are cutting loose from hair color. As I have posted before, I've been going gray for 20 years, naturally. Sometimes, after I wash my hair, and can really see the white in front against the somewhat darker hair, I sort of catch my breath. Am I really that white? But overall I like the effect.

To people who feel washed out with the gray, I just want to point out that we naturally wash out as we age. Our true hair color is a better reflection of our present coloring than a darker color would be now.

However, we get to choose how we present ourselves to the world. We are so lucky to have those choices. I choose to be naturally gray.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:24 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
Quote:
Yes! And my husband told me AGAIN today how much he LOVES my hair now, and how much younger I look! He tells me all the time now. Geez, who knew? I will have to get some pix soon, but everytime I try to take some they come out crappy.... and I am already kind of funny about posting my pix on the internet....but I will try to get some soon. Anyway, no way will I go back to coloring. Not to mention how FREEING this all is! And I am even kind of enjoying the multicolor effects I have now.
Isn't it lovely to be able to wash & go?

I suggest you get hubby to take side or shot from the back to show color w/o features. I think you are very sensible about posting pix on the internet - it is there for ever.

I love my silver hair and as long as I keep away from grey clothing and stick to bright colors to go with my olive complexion I'm OK. My husband has always said that dying my hair would not make me look any younger and in fact it might actually age me because the roots would show and I would get stressed! So glad I listened. I find the Pro Naturals argan oil that I use as a leave in treatment after shampooing/conditioning has been great for keeping my hair really shiny and healthy.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I've thought about using the Fanciful temp rinse once I DO go grey and cut it short; washes out every shampoo. But we'll see! Would never permanently dye it; ugh.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Ok, well here's an update - I had about an inch of growth and even with the added highlights, that gray streak down the middle of my natural part was driving me crazy, so back I went today and my hairdresser added more, ash blonde highlights to blend in the gray. She also cut off more dyed hair so around the sides and back most or all of my dark brown fake dyed hair is gone. I am loving the lighter color!

So apparently my darker hair (less gray but still some gray) is around my back and sides and it's significantly whiter at the crown and around the front. I'm OK with that as long as I don't have to deal with a white skunk stripe! So the plan is to continue to add ash blonde highlights as the gray/white grows out. So far so good and I LOVE this color, which is now a mix of my own natural color, some leftover brown dye, and added highlights! LOL

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-24-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok, well here's an update - I had about an inch of growth and even with the added highlights, that gray streak down the middle of my natural part was driving me crazy, so back I went today and my hairdresser added more, ash blonde highlights to blend in the gray. She also cut off more dyed hair so around the sides and back most or all of my dark brown fake dyed hair is gone. I am loving the lighter color!

So apparently my darker hair (less gray but still some gray) is around my back and sides and it's significantly whiter at the crown and around the front. I'm OK with that as long as I don't have to deal with a white skunk stripe! So the plan is to continue to add ash blonde highlights as the gray/white grows out. So far so good and I LOVE this color, which is now a mix of my own natural color, some leftover brown dye, and added highlights! LOL
Sounds awesome Kathryn! My pattern is like yours. Even at age 66, I still have a lot of brown in my hair. My hair is mostly silver around the sides and over the crown, but underneath and at the back there is a lot of my natural brown. Also, there is more brown mixed in in the front. It really is SO much more flattering than that extreme dark color I had, I get way more compliments now, even with all the long dark dyed parts. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't like it. I had grown it out before and didn't like it, but back then I wore bangs (I'm growing them out now) and also the gray was darker and not as silver. The silver really sparkles in the light especially when freshly washed!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Sounds awesome Kathryn! My pattern is like yours. Even at age 66, I still have a lot of brown in my hair. My hair is mostly silver around the sides and over the crown, but underneath and at the back there is a lot of my natural brown. Also, there is more brown mixed in in the front. It really is SO much more flattering than that extreme dark color I had, I get way more compliments now, even with all the long dark dyed parts. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't like it. I had grown it out before and didn't like it, but back then I wore bangs (I'm growing them out now) and also the gray was darker and not as silver. The silver really sparkles in the light especially when freshly washed!
Yes, that's what I'm seeing - I didn't realize that silvery gray hair was so sparkly!

My husband loves it. I do too. Now - it still doesn't look GRAY or white - I have a lot of colors going on between my natural and unnatural colors right now - LOL. I'd say it looks mostly honey brown with some ash blonde in it, and darker (naturally) around the back and bottom.

I am very pleased so far.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm seeing - I didn't realize that silvery gray hair was so sparkly!

My husband loves it. I do too. Now - it still doesn't look GRAY or white - I have a lot of colors going on between my natural and unnatural colors right now - LOL. I'd say it looks mostly honey brown with some ash blonde in it, and darker (naturally) around the back and bottom.

LOL - mine is like that too! It is multicolor like yours, because you may have read earlier in the thread I attempted to have streaks put in (most of which melted off) but some are still there. So between the silver, the streaks and some faded color and dark color, it almost reads brownish blonde (at least on the crown and front/sides). I guess it remains to be seen how I will like it when all grown out. I'm thinking it would be much easier down the road to add back a few streaks of color if we don't like it all natural (rather than dying the whole head) I never want to go back to that.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:25 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:

If you're looking to add sparkle, use a little bit of almond oil to make those silver strands pop. Almond oil is very light, and won't weigh down your hair.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
LOL - mine is like that too! It is multicolor like yours, because you may have read earlier in the thread I attempted to have streaks put in (most of which melted off) but some are still there. So between the silver, the streaks and some faded color and dark color, it almost reads brownish blonde (at least on the crown and front/sides). I guess it remains to be seen how I will like it when all grown out. I'm thinking it would be much easier down the road to add back a few streaks of color if we don't like it all natural (rather than dying the whole head) I never want to go back to that.
This is exactly my plan - I'd rather add a few streaks than dye the whole head and then end up with a white stripe down my part!

Or that lovely look I discovered recently - when the wind blows and lifts your dark, dyed hair and up underneath it is all white. Just great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care