Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:49 AM

123 posts, read 83,900 times

Advertisements

I also decided to embrace natural silver hair about two years ago when I discovered my original plan of being young and beautiful forever wasn't working out nearly as well as I had hoped. I am fortunate that my hair is silver rather than yellowish. It saves me $75/month by not having it colored. I am so glad not to see blue haired little old ladies these days. We are silver foxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:54 AM

1,038 posts, read 898,829 times
Such discrimination

Apparently there is an Invisible Age where Obviously Dyed Hair is/Should Be Illegal.

What age is that prey tell?

Why do only the Young get to play with hair color?

Honestly I respect all women no matter WHAT they decide to do with their hair

I don't think "clinging to youth" when I see dyed hair - I think Fashion Conscious

The tone of Moral Superiority is really disturbing

Old 01-18-2016, 12:13 PM

17,486 posts, read 38,941,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Such discrimination

Apparently there is an Invisible Age where Obviously Dyed Hair is/Should Be Illegal.

I don't think "clinging to youth" when I see dyed hair - I think Fashion Conscious

See, this is the problem - people stereotype both ways. Now I don't do that, as mentioned in my first post I have dyed my hair continuously since I was 14! And my profile pic (with near-black hair) I am 66! I have only had brief periods of completely natural hair. I completely agree with you people should do what they want with their hair regardless of age or how anyone else thinks it looks. But one thing I do have to admit, I have truly come to see that MOST women in my age group definitely look better with their natural color, whether gray, salt & pepper, white, etc. And I am including myself in that group. I do admire beautiful vintage women who love to "go crazy" with color too!

But right now, I am enjoying the freedom of no color and loving the silver that is coming in. It really softens what lines I do have in my face.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 898,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
See, this is the problem - people stereotype both ways. Now I don't do that, as mentioned in my first post I have dyed my hair continuously since I was 14! And my profile pic (with near-black hair) I am 66! I have only had brief periods of completely natural hair. I completely agree with you people should do what they want with their hair regardless of age or how anyone else thinks it looks. But one thing I do have to admit, I have truly come to see that MOST women in my age group definitely look better with their natural color, whether gray, salt & pepper, white, etc. And I am including myself in that group. I do admire beautiful vintage women who love to "go crazy" with color too!

But right now, I am enjoying the freedom of no color and loving the silver that is coming in. It really softens what lines I do have in my face.

No one suggests a 20 year old who dyes her hair is in any way superior to a 20 year old who doesn't

so why is it such a Thing for older women?

Who CARES if it doesn't look Natural

Clothes don't look Natural!

Still waiting for someone to tell me the Magic Age to put down the fripperies?

Why are older women supposed to be Invisible? Why are we supposed to Blend and Not Offend?

Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,891,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
But one thing I do have to admit, I have truly come to see that MOST women in my age group definitely look better with their natural color, whether gray, salt & pepper, white, etc. And I am including myself in that group. I do admire beautiful vintage women who love to "go crazy" with color too!

I totally agree. I think Nature knew what she was doing by having our hair go lighter as we age. I also think that dark hair colors can add unwanted shadows, whereas lighter shades (like gray/silver) do tend to brighten skin tone.

I color my hair, but it's not to look younger. It's because I love playing with color and tone. I have to admit, though, that as I get older, I stick pretty close to my roots (haha, see what I did there?) because it's flattering and much easier.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Such discrimination

Going gray naturally, as is coloring one's hair, is a personal choice.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,537,551 times
As with most issues, IMO there is no one correct answer for everyone. I see some women with very nice looking grey hair that is natural. Others have natural "grey" that is splotchy or yellow and quite unattractive. The "salt and pepper" look can also be rather harsh. I have also seen many older women both in person and on TV and in magazines who color over the grey and look lovely. It is all a combination of what nature gives us and what we do with it.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
As with most issues, IMO there is no one correct answer for everyone. I see some women with very nice looking grey hair that is natural. Others have natural "grey" that is splotchy or yellow and quite unattractive. The "salt and pepper" look can also be rather harsh. I have also seen many older women both in person and on TV and in magazines who color over the grey and look lovely. It is all a combination of what nature gives us and what we do with it.
Yes, and also how much time and money we have to spend on our hair. If you are willing to drop $300 a pop for expensive highlights, etc, then I think you will probably look smashing. Some of us, like me, don't want to spend that kind of money on our hair. But this is a personal choice. It is after all, a free country.

I also agree that sometimes the salt and pepper hair is sort of harsh. Often though, I like it, and if it keeps growing out, you might end up with a sterling silver or pewter sort of beautiful gray.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:33 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
I'm thinking about letting my hair go to it's natural color - though I really have no idea what color that is since I've been coloring my hair for over thirty years!

I think this might be easy because I have short hair - it's a lot longer on top but the sides and back are really short. I think the top is "whiter" than the sides though. Ugh, I'm thinking of all the months of weird hair that I'll have to deal with while I'm letting it "go natural."

Right now it's dyed it's usual dark, warm brown. I'm thinking to start going with something like a honey brown, then a lighter brown, then even lighter over the next few months. I'm 54. I am not bragging, but I have a really cute hairstyle and people often ask me who my hairdresser is - I've even had strangers in stores (women my age) ask me if they could take pictures of my hair to show their hairdresser what they want! It's asymmetrical, long bangs on one side, very short around the ears.

Have any other posters with very short hair gone natural? IF so, please tell me about your experience! I'm so tired of dying my hair, because since it's so short, I have to dye it often or when I get it cut the sides are a totally different color than the top - LOL. It's starting to wear me out and I don't want to grow it out because I love my short, spunky haircut.

Right now my hair looks a lot like this (unfortunately I do not look like this model but oh well):

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-cont...thick-hair.jpg

Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,400,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm thinking about letting my hair go to it's natural color - though I really have no idea what color that is since I've been coloring my hair for over thirty years!

I think this might be easy because I have short hair - it's a lot longer on top but the sides and back are really short. I think the top is "whiter" than the sides though. Ugh, I'm thinking of all the months of weird hair that I'll have to deal with while I'm letting it "go natural."

Right now it's dyed it's usual dark, warm brown. I'm thinking to start going with something like a honey brown, then a lighter brown, then even lighter over the next few months. I'm 54. I am not bragging, but I have a really cute hairstyle and people often ask me who my hairdresser is - I've even had strangers in stores (women my age) ask me if they could take pictures of my hair to show their hairdresser what they want! It's asymmetrical, long bangs on one side, very short around the ears.

Have any other posters with very short hair gone natural? IF so, please tell me about your experience! I'm so tired of dying my hair, because since it's so short, I have to dye it often or when I get it cut the sides are a totally different color than the top - LOL. It's starting to wear me out and I don't want to grow it out because I love my short, spunky haircut.

Right now my hair looks a lot like this (unfortunately I do not look like this model but oh well):

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-cont...thick-hair.jpg
Why don't you figure out what your natural color is, and dye all of your hair that color. Then the new growth should match and you won't have to color any longer. To figure out your natural color, just wait 1-2 months for new growth and match to the color of the new growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care